Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • BBC – Dracula 👍 👍 👍
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

Really enjoyed episode 2. Chest episode started well but seemed to go downhill a little at the end for me…all nuns screaming…. It was just a bit too Saturday afternoon Dr who drama.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m not being dismissive, lazy or ignorant; I just know that STW threads can have landmine spoilers so I haven’t read previous posts.

I’ve watched the first ep and thoroughly enjoyed it. Me and Mrs. S normally avoid “period drama” type stuff but we both loved this.

Count D is a tad camp but I thought it brought balance as there were many deep and dark elements. Sister Agatha is brilliant.

The castle set is very good. Despite its vastness, I felt imprisoned and closed in.

Very much looking forward to 2 & 3.

llama

Like it so far. Hope the last one doesn’t get too stupid. It’s a fine line and for me they got it just right in ep 1 and 2. As a reimagining it works. Count is menacing in a manipulative charming psychopathic way. Van Helsing just rocks.

chewkw
    Free Member

Count D is a tad camp but I thought it brought balance as there were many deep and dark elements. Sister Agatha is brilliant.

Both characters are well played.
    Yes, a bit camp and I bet he is “pansexual” whatever (bloody sucking wise) 😆
    I like the way both of them (Agatha & Count Dracula) wind up each other. 😆

Count is menacing in a manipulative charming psychopathic way. Van Helsing just rocks.

Count is showing off his power while Van Helsing just is just being intrigued by his persona 🤔

hels
    Free Member

So, page two and nobody has remarked that Dracula is all about sex? Remember when it was written. Have an eye to the calendar, the moon etc, and what happens on the night mina and harker should have married. And you know, all the nuns and undead women in the basement. PS I have only watched part one so working from knowledge of the book here. Great book, btw.

hels
    Free Member

Sex, and fear of women, meant to add. Those two often run together.

colournoise

The link’s quite explicit in pretty much all versions of the vampire myth as far as I can see (Moffat’s Count has made the connection himself a fair few times in the two episodes so far). I guess this thread’s focusing on what’s different about this one rather than the same?

hels
    Free Member

But don’t worry chaps, you have to invite him in, and he only likes wirgins…

Drac

Wallpaper pattern is from The Outlook Hotel carpet. 😬

colournoise

1st half of tonight’s was a bit weak I thought, but the ending panned out well enough.

Overall, a decent adaptation. Succeeded on its own terms.

andytherocketeer

that was erm… different

neilthewheel

Pish

chewkw
    Free Member

Well my final verdict is 3/5. 🤨

Watchable but nothing to blow someone away considering he came on shore 123 years later and we could have read all the rumours about him by then. 😒

Started well but the ending is a bit short especially the last 10 mins. Should at least allocate 30 mins to the last moment. 🙄

I mean there is no way a being who has lived for more than 500 years could be convinced in few years leading to that last moment.

His fear of death has led him so far to live for centuries and such strong attachment (the worst root of all evil) cannot usually be let go easily. Being a coward to die is merely a form of attachment as the fear stems from all that all that he cannot let go. Such pain to let go of all attachments it makes no logical sense that he could let it go based on mere mortal rationality. Remember Count Dracula learned fast and learned well. An intelligent being full of vanity due to strong attachment of self.

I mean why not live as a day walker for another 1000 years or longer or as long as for the sake of being able to and see the world doom?

Oh well at least BBC has tried … good effort but nothing to rave about after watching all 3 episodes.

Oh ya … there are more powerful antichrists about and the portrayal of Dracula does not even make it to anyway near the top 10. Even satan only ranks 3rd or 5th (cannot remember the actual ranking now) in certain religious scripture.

colournoise

I mean why not live as a day walker for another 1000 years or longer or as long as for the sake of being able to and see the world doom?

He’d been feeding a lot on Lucy, who had no fear of death? At least I guess that’s the inference we were meant to take.

chewkw
    Free Member

He’d been feeding a lot on Lucy, who had no fear of death? At least I guess that’s the inference we were meant to take.

No mortal being should be able to sway such being with the kind of attachment Dracula has.

Lucy might be naive about death but she certainly fear death (she fear death in the sense of being old or losing her beauty), especially when visited by the child zombie coz that is fear (ugly and undead which is prolong suffering). Fear usually relate to death. Fear is a form of attachment which is practically impossible to let go off by mere mortal. Wanting to look forever beautiful is the fear of death with the attachment of wanting to stay young forever, hence she was willing to try all methods to preserve life even if that means the undead.

Bullet

Enjoyed it, some clever twists etc. Best general ‘vampire’ series though was the US True Blood. That was awesome.

chewkw
    Free Member

Enjoyed it, some clever twists etc. Best general ‘vampire’ series though was the US True Blood. That was awesome.

The characters are well played even when I don’t agree with Dracula losing his composure at the end coz Christopher Lee did not …

funkmasterp

First two episodes were great, last one was shite. Basically Sherlock.

Drac

Well that seemed very rushed towards the end. Enjoyed it though but still think it could it have been something more.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Basically Sherlock.

Hmmm.

Good writers, struggle to end anything

neilnevill
    Free Member

Watchable but I thought it tailed off to the end. Episode 2 was the best by far for me

funkmasterp

I don’t understand how he didn’t revert to old man mode whilst in the sea. Would’ve been better in four parts and staying in the same time period in my opinion. An episode to establish him in England and then a closing episode. The new cast additions in the third episode were weak and the episode had a very different tone.

nick1962
    Free Member

“Democracy is the tyranny of the uninformed”
    Dracula showing his remainer tendencies.

chewkw
    Free Member

“Democracy is the tyranny of the uninformed”
    Dracula showing his remainer tendencies.

😂

mtbqwerty

Like pretty much everyone else…episodes 1 and 2 great, last one left me outraged my TV licence fee contributed to it.

johnnystorm

I liked it but agree the final episode felt rushed. Hints about the Harker institute being a bit shady but no elaboration and of course the final showdown. Seems to be the BBC way, high production values and a quality script but no money or inclination to go beyond a handful of episodes.

muggomagic

1st 2 episodes were really good, but the last one was pretty poor. Felt like it was trying to be a bit too clever and for me just didn’t work. Dracula needed to go out with more of a bang IMO. Still, overall it was decent.

llama

ep 3 was good until the last 5 minutes

CountZero

It was just a bit too Saturday afternoon Dr who drama.

There are a couple of Easter eggs in Dracula, referencing Doctor Who and Inside No9, plus The Master, or at least the actor playing him, is in Dracula…
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30384485/dracula-inside-no-9-easter-egg/

niksnr
    Free Member

All went a bit Torchwood. Shame cos Ep 1 & 2 showed great promise.

RustySpanner

Hmm.

This series should have been the story up until the sinking of the Demeter, but longer and spread over 4 or 5 hourly episodes.

Series 2 could have been the modern day bits.

I liked the story arc and the ending, but it was spoiled by the rush to cram too much in and the lack of character development in episode 3.

It sorely missed the chase/hunt/teamwork element of the book, but I enjoyed the fact that Drac’s iPad was featured as a plot device.

chewkw
    Free Member

… but I enjoyed the fact that Drac’s iPad was featured as a plot device.

I like that too as he can learn fast.

Drac

but I enjoyed the fact that Drac’s iPad was featured as a plot device.

👍🏻😂

RicB

I enjoyed it. 1&2 much better than 3 but 3 did pick up once is got used to the time shift.

Dolly Well was superb though- best female performance since Jodey Comer’s Vilanelle

endomick
    Free Member

I Was enjoying it until the last one, why didn’t he age despite over 120 years without drinking blood and why didn’t the girl or dr van helsing start dying or turning after being bitten.
    Then cancerous blood is the only thing to kill the immortal bloodsucker, utter bollocks.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Episode 1 was alright, I didn’t get into episode 2 at all because it was ~2100 and I was cream crackered so went to bed part way through while better half carried on watching I think, might try and catch up before contemplating episode 3.

theotherjonv

why didn’t he age despite over 120 years without drinking blood

I assume because he was lying in a coffin full of his own soil.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I assume because he was lying in a coffin full of his own soil.

Why was he an old man when harker first met him then? Surely he’s been in same box in his castle?

swanny853

Difference between ‘living’ and sleeping? I.e. in the coffin he’s on ‘pause’.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Then cancerous blood is the only thing to kill the immortal bloodsucker

Pointy sticks work, too

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘BBC – Dracula 👍 👍 👍’ is closed to new replies.