Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • BBC – Dracula 👍 👍 👍
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Watching Dracula now. Very good. 👍

Yes, this is much better from BBC with the “scientific” heroine.

Notice science and God?

jon1973
    Free Member

Recording

Drac

It’s not too bad nice to have a different take on things.

Notice science and God?

Just like the book.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Recording, too.

Is it really good, or just like “ok, whilst pissing about on the internet whilst watching it”?

chewkw
    Free Member

Scream! Scream! Scream loud! 🧛‍♂️

Continue tomorrow at 9pm excellent!

I like!

At least a film that worth watching during the festive season. 😀

Is it really good, or just like “ok, whilst pissing about on the internet whilst watching it”?

It is very (IMO) good but some part slightly “illogical” but much much better than The War of the Worlds.

Dracula is much more intelligence this time and sneaky. 😄

P/s: slight budget saving on the gory graphic scenes as usual i.e. attack scene turned to blank at the critical moment 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

Notice science and God?

Just like the book.

It looks like our scientific knowledge is still limited as there must be some logic to why Dracula fear Sunlight etc.

p/s: oh ya the scene at the gate where they exchanged conversation that actually demonstrated the weakness of all beings including Dracula of greed, hatred and delusion/arrogance. Good exchange of conversation that trying to squeeze all those in one conversation.

Drac

It looks like our scientific knowledge is still limited as there must be some logic to why Dracula fear Sunlight etc.

Because he bursts into flames. Seems reasonable reason to avoid it.

csb

It was good, very dark, reminded me a bit of the sherlock series but easier to follow. Can get away with surfing web a bit at same time.

codybrennan
    Free Member

‘the weakness of all beings including Dracula of greed, hatred and delusion/arrogance. Well good exchange of conversation that’

This is why he fears the crucifix. Being predators, vampires can’t understand why a being would sacrifice itself for another voluntarily- they have the opposite impulse. Hence the crucifix acts as a reminder that they may be on the wrong track.

chewkw
    Free Member

Because he bursts into flames. Seems reasonable reason to avoid it.

Yes, that is the commonly known story but nobody knows why.

As for garlic because garlic “kills” bacteria gems … some logic there.
    Silver also “kills” or bacteria gems whatever …

But bursting into flame does not make sense other than Dracula being the night crawler. There must be something the original author could have explained in the molecule/cell of shapeshifter like Dracula.

It was good, very dark, reminded me a bit of the sherlock series but easier to follow. Can get away with surfing web a bit at same time.

If it is good I rather sit down and relax to watch it even if it is a bit slow. I like to look at all the graphics … 😀 Must pay credit to the set designers if they are good.

This is why he fears the crucifix.

Apparently Not in the film.
    But he does fear sunlight for scientific reason I guess.

Being predators, vampires can’t understand why a being would sacrifice itself for another voluntarily- they have the opposite impulse. Hence the crucifix acts as a reminder that they may be on the wrong track.

Interesting take.
    I see it as Dracula couldn’t give a thought but rather like to toy with them. He does not want to reason or cannot comprehend reasoning.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Enjoyed that alot! Looking forward to tomorrow’s episode

colournoise

As ever with Moffat/Gatiss some great ideas buried in there but obscured by some issues (for me at least – YMMV).

Biggest bugbear is it’s just the wrong lead actor for me. Looks like he was chosen more for his Lugosi-ness (some obvious visual nods to that at points too) than anything else. I’d prefer someone with a bit more menace and less camp delivery of the one-liners (which are a bit too arch and knowing for the tone of everything else, but then Sherlock…). Having said that I’m not the director…

Some touches I’m liking.

Spoiler:
    Harker’s appearance winking back to Nosferatu is a cool nod to other cinematic versions of the vampire myth. Despite the obvious Moffatism of ‘let’s make it a woman’ this version of Van Helsing is pretty compelling so far.

Just saying though, they’ve built it up enough already – if the final reveal (episode 3?) of why crosses work isn’t really funny or really clever then it will be really annoying.

epicyclo

chewkw

Originally vampires had red hair. Might explain an aversion to too much sunlight… 🙂

Interestingly, we had to turn it off because our wolfhound got really agitated when the black dog was at the gate. Up and ready and teeth bared. She hasn’t paid any attention to the TV before.

chewkw
    Free Member

Biggest bugbear is it’s just the wrong lead actor for me. Looks like he was chosen more for his Lugosi-ness (some obvious visual nods to that at points too) than anything else.

I like the classic look and Not that “two balls” hair style from Dracula with Keanu Reeves. They cannot depart too much otherwise we might as well watch Kate Beckinsale in Underworld (that is completely piss take but funny).

Some touches I’m liking. Harker’s appearance winking back to Nosferatu is a cool nod to other cinematic versions of the vampire myth.

That is good too but at first I thought the two were going to jokey for leadership position as the best blood sucker but it seems like one is the master while the other slave.

Despite the obvious Moffatism of ‘let’s make it a woman’ this version of Van Helsing is pretty compelling so far.

Good that. I like the calm manner of that character but not sure if she will survive unless she has more tricks up her sleeves …

if the final reveal (episode 3?) of why crosses work isn’t really funny or really clever then it will be really annoying.

No, there will be some compromise as they cannot alienate some audience. I think it will be a cop out somewhere …

Originally vampires had red hair. Might explain an aversion to too much sunlight… 🙂

No, no, no … there is only one King of vampire and that is Christopher Lee 😆

colournoise

Whichever mod spoilered me, Chekkie’s quote needs doing too?

chewkw
    Free Member

Whichever mod spoilered me, Chekkie’s quote needs doing too?

I did not give away too much details if you have not seen it.

p/s: I missed Dr Who but not sure I want to watch it …

colournoise

That is good too but at first I thought the two were going to jokey for leadership position as the best blood sucker but it seems like one is the master while the other slave.

Yeah, I was hoping for a still-struggling-with-his-undeadness Harker joining the good guys in London to hunt Drac down (in a nod to The Lost Boys and Near Dark maybe).

Near Dark is still the best vampire film/TV adaptation by a long way IMO (although the TV Ultraviolet had potential but never got past series 1)…

colournoise

I did not give away too much details if you have not seen it.

Nope, you just quoted the comment of mine that got spoilered – so folks can still read it.

colournoise

p/s: I missed Dr Who but not sure I want to watch it …

In a similar vein (ha!) it suggests a few good ideas for the Whoniverse but was presented a bit weakly, and has IMO one HUGE flaw revealed at the end of this first episode.

chewkw
    Free Member

Near Dark is still the best vampire film/TV adaptation by a long way IMO (although the TV Ultraviolet had potential but never got past series 1)…

🤔 not sure about that coz I think the costume is a bit cheap … I like “period” drama.

Oh ya … does ultraviolet kills bacterial gems? 🤔

Pook

Nice little Inside No. 9 reference on this one

zilog6128

Just watched the first episode, I thought it was really well done! Only thing I didn’t like were the one-liners/quips, feel a bit forced (like they’re put in purely for the trailers!) and actually a bit old-fashioned now.

CountZero

In a similar vein (ha!) it suggests a few good ideas for the Whoniverse but was presented a bit weakly, and has IMO one HUGE flaw revealed at the end of this first episode.

Which is?

Drac

WTF?

swanny853

Yeah, that!

chewkw
    Free Member

WTF?

What the hell …

Hhmmmm … there we go again … 😒
    All good until the arrival of the helicopter and the police … 🙄
    What’s wrong with BBC?

arcing
    Free Member

That was fun! I have a theory, but I’m normally pretty bad at twists.

SaxonRider

I have always loved the Dracula story, and vampire myths in general, but a good friend of mine who also happens to be a film critic, said of Bram Stoker’s writing that “he couldn’t even write a coherent shopping list”.

I’ll try to tune into the show, but I can’t stop laughing about the comment.

codybrennan
    Free Member

That was excellent. So he got himself into a box of his dirt to regenerate, this took about 200 years, and he came ashore in our time- and Agatha is now an immortal policewoman?

nicko74

Porphyria, I thought? Haven’t seen the show yet, mind

colournoise

All going well there until Moffat dragged it into the 21st century. Hasn’t he got any other tricks?

(hoping there is a twist to this too, but not holding my breath)

And, as it happens, I thought the explanation about crosses and bibles working was pretty well handled in the end.

colournoise

CountZero
    Which is?

Spoiler:
    Bringing The Master back – (a) because John Simm nailed the role IMO and (b) because he seems to be spectacularly miscast this time round.
    chewkw
    Free Member

And, as it happens, I thought the explanation about crosses and bibles working was pretty well handled in the end.

That explanation is fine but the 21st century … could someone send the script writer to write for Country file please, coz over there s/he does not need to think too much about plots etc.

I am giving it until tomorrow but saw the night club scene just now that is not going to be good. 😑

colournoise

Does leave the door open for further series/episodes though – more sustainable to have him in the present day I guess.

Assuming Van Helsing doesn’t defeat him tomorrow…

What’s the betting on there being a ‘he’s finally gone… or has he?’ type ending?

chewkw
    Free Member

What’s the betting on there being a ‘he’s finally gone… or has he?’ type ending?

Bet he is a bit late coz the world has already gone all vampire and they tend make fun of him.

boomerlives
    Free Member

I liked the twist at the end. It distracted me from the glaring fcat that he wasn’t landing in Whitby, but North Landing

I’m hoping the last instalment will hold up like the other two episodes

Kuco

I avoided this after their poor attempt at War of The Worlds and the **** up of A Christmas Carol. Not sure to risk it?

fossy

Seen Episode 1 and that was really good.

augustuswindsock

Well, I’m hooked, think it’s brilliant so far, and have to say I really enjoyed war of the worlds and Christmas Carol too!

gonefishin
    Free Member

I have always loved the Dracula story, and vampire myths in general, but a good friend of mine who also happens to be a film critic, said of Bram Stoker’s writing that “he couldn’t even write a coherent shopping list”.

I largely agree with your friend. It’s been many years since I read the book but I do remember thinking it was very poorly written. Great character very bad book.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘BBC – Dracula 👍 👍 👍’ is closed to new replies.