Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 199 total)
  • BBC: Cyclist calls out driver for sexual harassment
  • Premier Icon chrispo
    Free Member

“He told me I should have a health warning because my backside was going to cause an accident,” she said.

BBC report

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis
    Free Member

From the road.cc article this appears to have come from.

https://road.cc/content/news/female-cyclist-confronts-man-who-made-sexual-remarks-her-283899

“This was the second occasion of harassment I’d received that afternoon having had another man shout that he was going to ‘f*ck me in the arse’,” she continued.

Disgusting behaviour, just another example of the effects of the mainstream medias othering, in combination with knuckle dragging misogynistic bullshit

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Hats off to her for confronting him. Shouldn’t have blurred his face out though. He deserves to be shamed.

Premier Icon racefaceec90
    Free Member

I remember seeing a yt video of a woman cyclist being harassed by some men in a white van.

She had the last laugh as she punched off the wing mirror of their van,and the motorcyclist behind who had filmed the whole thing told them they deserved it.

It is a shame that this goes on but hopefully videos will shame the perps.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Free Member

She had the last laugh as she punched off the wing mirror of their van,and the motorcyclist behind who had filmed the whole thing told them they deserved it.

I remember that one. Criminal damage is never the “right” answer but it was deserved

Premier Icon tomhoward

Whilst I agree with the message, I think that video was staged.

Premier Icon Flaperon
    Free Member

Hats off to her for confronting him. Shouldn’t have blurred his face out though. He deserves to be shamed.

Absolutely. Sex pests should be publicly shamed.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Free Member

If she got him on video, I wonder if the police would be interested in having a chat with him?

Premier Icon TiRed
    Free Member

I once had a comment regarding “look at the arse on her” as I rode past. I think he was a little shocked at the beard when I turned my head. His mates seemed to laugh at him not me. To be fair, I may have let my hair go a little early Nader the helmet.

Still it’s just not acceptable behaviour.

Premier Icon alpin
    Free Member

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

“I wonder if the police would be interested in having a chat with him?”
    If she smashed off his wing mirror it’s more likely they’d want to talk to her too, and she could well be charged with criminal damage.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Free Member

I meant the original one, not the wing mirror smashing.

Premier Icon chrismac

I’m going for stages purely because I doubt there are many people who could smash a wing mirror off. They are quite well bolted on

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Free Member

The mirror one was staged. Iirc it was a social media company showing they could make something for viral

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Wasn’t it a forumite from here who smashed a Transit mirror off?

Premier Icon funkmasterp

I’ve taken a wing mirror off in anger and it’s not that difficult. Don’t condone it but it’s all some understand. Criminal damage or not. In the heat of the moment it seemed preferable to gbh. Also been clipped by someone with no spacial awareness resulting in it happening. The second one was rather hurty and destroyed one of my grips.

Premier Icon zanelad
    Free Member

Hit the mirror with a downward strike, not a sideways one. They cant fold and will often break.

Premier Icon DezB
    Free Member

Ignoring all the bullshit/fake video/wing mirror distractions on the thread (well done Alpin, really don’t think that video was needed).. I’m sure female cyclists have had to put up with this kid of crap for decades. The only good thing about this is that the “me too” generation, for want of a better description now have to confidence to confront the sexist morons AND report it. That has to be a change for the good I reckon.

Premier Icon joepud
    Free Member

Im so glad this story has made the news and I hope the driver gets fined or something. I reported a driver recently who was forced to either gets points or attend a driver awareness course.

Premier Icon twistedpencil
    Free Member

Putting a foot through a door mirror works, apparently…

But as DezB states I’m glad people are raising these issues and we need to stand with them and call this behaviour out.

Premier Icon zomg
    Free Member

I think we just need a wing mirror tax. It should apply to harassment, close passes (especially oncoming close passes), common twattery at crossings, and parking on pavements.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Free Member

Just “common twattery” on it’s own should be made an offence 👍

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Common twattery definitely needs to become a real offence. As per others I’m just glad this is getting attention.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Free Member

Dezb +1.

Premier Icon MSP

Cardiff cyclist confronts driver who sexually harassed her

How about “Victim confronts sexual harasser”, the fact that she is a cyclist is incidental to the story and while it is fine to mention what she was doing at the time in the article, it distracts from the story IMO to label her by her activity.

Unfortunately by attaching her to a “separate group” from most readers it creates barriers to understanding the problem. I wish the media would just give a little more thought to such labels and how it divides when what is needed is a bit of togetherness and understanding.

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

She deserves a pat on the bum for bravado 😉

Premier Icon fossy

I’ve taken a transit mirror off when it left hooked me. Not great when you are doing 25 mph on a road bike. One broken wrist and a broken bike, but I got his mirror. Driver legged it.

Premier Icon dyna-ti
    Free Member

Unfortunately by attaching her to a “separate group” from most readers it creates barriers to understanding the problem. I wish the media would just give a little more thought to such labels and how it divides when what is needed is a bit of togetherness and understanding.

Possibly its a deliberate act to appear to all sides, and raise contempt for cyclists, or cyclists against drivers as entitled. Papers do this all the time. More clicks and sod the actual point.

Premier Icon twistedpencil
    Free Member

@plus-one that’s a minus one from me, I guess you’re being funny, but….

And Chrispo, that is sexual harassment. Wolf whistling has been called out so why would you think that was acceptable?

Why small mind blokes can’t stop their brain farts from squeaking out is beyond me.  I’ll be honest I process similar sid james thoughts on occasion, but never do I verbalise them.  It’s not difficult..

Premier Icon jamesco

Only this week my pal was cycling along a country road in Lincolnshire when he heard his wife , who was behind, squeal out. Yoofs in a hatchback roared past with one struggling to get back in the passenger window, he had slapped my mates wife on the backside , pretty hard apparently. he was so concerned at her outburst that he didn’t get their number , unfortunately.

Premier Icon plus-one
    Free Member

Yes I’m being totally silly !! But !! Sometimes the lines blur excessively 🙁

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

As a cyclist experiencing imaginary/fantasy OOBE, am often taken by the perverse and mildly corrective desire to slap my own fat cycling arse. Happily, I thinknto day that such errancy doesn’t translate into real life, and neither (gods forbid) towards acting upon any (even half-buried) impulse to smack a random pedaller’s lower cheeks.

This uncomfortably candid announcement was brought to you by Sunday & beer.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

@chrispo

So on a sliding scale how bad does it have to be before it is sexual harassment? Do the comments have to be more sexualised? Mild touching never really hurts?

Unless you’ve had your head in a hole for the last few weeks – since the murder of Sarah Everard has brought into stark relief – our wives, girlfriends, daughters, sisters are being harassed routinely by idiots that think it’s a compliment, a bit of banter. And people like you are facilitating it with comments like yours.

I suspected the same as rogermoore when you posted the story without comment, that you were aiming for clicks. I didn’t respond but now see you’ve doubled down and confirmed it.

Misogyny, pure and simple. By them, and you.

Premier Icon deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t talk shit Chrispo.

You’re hopeful. 😀

Premier Icon sc-xc

Yeah, sorry CZ. I should know better than to engage with the bellends.

Premier Icon JonEdwards
    Free Member

he had slapped my mates wife on the backside , pretty hard apparently.

This happened to my other half too. Hard enough that by the time she got home, half an hour later, there was still a recognisable handprint with 5 fingers there.

Despite having the van reg and video evidence that it had followed her up the road from a village Derbyshire (mostly) and S. Yorks police managed to do sweet FA about it.

Premier Icon i_scoff_cake
    Free Member

I remember seeing a yt video of a woman cyclist being harassed by some men in a white van.

It is a shame that this goes on but hopefully videos will shame the perps.

That was a well known fake filmed for some marketing campiagn.

Premier Icon jamesco

Damn good job the lady in question was a competent cyclist , the consequences of a rider going down under such an assault does not bear thinking about ne’er mind the unwarranted and unquestionable fact that it is sexual assault, no ifs no buts lads.

Premier Icon chrismac

Despite having the van reg and video evidence that it had followed her up the road from a village Derbyshire (mostly) and S. Yorks police managed to do sweet FA about it.

you sound surprised. What did you think they would do? At best they could talk to the driver but that wouldn’t get them any closer to who hit her unfortunately

Premier Icon Tom-B
    Free Member

Some bloke that I used to teach guitar once called me on a Monday evening to cancel his lesson. He worked on sites so was often travelling a few hours away from home to work. Anyway, this one particular evening on the way home he’d got into a beef with a cyclist. He’d left his keys in the ignition, and the cyclist promptly grabbed them and lobbed them into the field they were pulled up next to 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 199 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.