Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • BBC Climate Change the Facts
  • Drac

**** hell we’re a bunch of ****.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is this one of these posts where we have to guess what the OP is on about??

qwerty
    Free Member

We have climate control in the car. Sorted.

kayak23

Scary stuff. I’m very pessimistic about our species.

I personally don’t think humans have the capacity not to destroy everything. We’re largely selfish and foolish.

In short, we’re doomed.

MoreCashThanDash

Sobering watching.

One of the experts was on the other day and they asked him what two things would make the biggest difference – plant based diet, and stop flying.

I’m so disappointed that we have known this was coming since the late 80s and have done **** all about it.

DrJ

Hang on – I thought being concerned about the climate made you a vacuous self-indulgent hippy?

tinribz
    Free Member

If it has BBC in the title you can guarantee it going to be populist nonsense at best and most likely Marxist propaganda.

Drac

Is this one of these posts where we have to guess what the OP is on about??

It’s about Climate Change the Facts on the BBC.

mefty
    Free Member

I’m so disappointed that we have known this was coming since the late 80s and have done **** all about it.

In the UK we have reduced CO2 emissions by nearly 45% since the late 70s.

loddrik
    Free Member

Looking forward to it warming up. Fed up of crap summers and freezing cold winters. It’ll bring my energy bills down. Fantastic…

CountZero

If it has BBC in the title you can guarantee it going to be populist nonsense at best and most likely Marxist propaganda.

Yeah, of course it is!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s about Climate Change the Facts on the BBC.

Cool you got a link?? For those of us not on a BBC feed it just looked like another news report/balance gone wrong!!

ElShalimo

You can catch up on iPlayer

funkmasterp

**** hell we’re a bunch of ****.

Of course we are. We’re the top species in the food chain, the apex predator. We didn’t get here by shitting rainbows, cuddling puppies and handcuffing ourselves to trees. We’re a bunch of self serving, vicious apes. Is anybody really that surprised that we’ve royally **** the planet?

What’s everyone doing for Easter?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00049b1
    Ah Ok then…… I mean I though it was the done thing to do a link in the op 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

That has not been my experience on the Internet.

teethgrinder

Bahahahahaha

seosamh77
    Free Member

mikewsmith

Subscriber
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00049b1
    Ah Ok then…… I mean I though it was the done thing to do a link in the op

Cheers, does this film have a happy ending? 😆

peteimpreza

“If it has BBC in the title you can guarantee it going to be populist nonsense at best and most likely Marxist propaganda.”

Say what now ?

kerley
    Free Member

Well the BBC has to aim to be popular (rather than populist) and it is always going on about the working classes being oppressed by the upper/middle classes and the needs of society as the base isn’t it?

Anyway, yes humans were bound to screw it all up and it is now so far in it will never be reined back. Governments (and only governments can really bring the massive changes required) will only care/do anything about it when it is far too late. Governments are not good at prevention.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

We’re not a bunch of ******. We sorted out the ozone issue in record time and have introduced countless technologies to preserve and restore the environment and nature. The latest threat is a biggie and we’re a bit late to the party but improvements are already happening we’re already on the journey, and us in the UK are leading the way but unfortunately our efforts are fruitless and insignificant in the global scheme. it’s china, the US and India who have to make the changes and the best thing we and the rest of the world can do is assist them to make the change.

The biggest take away for me was the scale of the deforestation going on. I seem to remember it being a big thing in the eighties and gone quiet since then so I assumed it wasn’t going on any more. But it’s disappearing faster than ever. Mostly because of the demand for palm oil and cheap mass produced meat. So looking to reduce or ditch products that contain palm oil would be a good thing.

The problem with these programmes is that they are a bit doom and gloom and big up the size of the problem so much it seems totally insurmountable and a lost cause and probably puts more people off instead of kicking them into action. and they offer up very little on what individuals can actually do to contribute to change, they offer a few snippets like eat lichen and moss instead of a burger, and stop washing your clothes….all very unappealing and a complete unnecessary extreme. Just classic doomsday scenario telly. Did it really need about 6 scientists to keep ramming home the size of the problem and worse case consequences for about 90% of the programme and about 6 minutes of offering up some pretty pathetic suggestions of what we as individuals can do. Typical BBC though. The way to encourage people to act is to demonstrate to them that their lives will be better if they take action and help people make the change instead of laying on the guilt trip which does more harm than good. Certainly in the UK they’re pushing against an open door, we’re already investing billions a year in improving our homes, moving to hybrids and EVs, more people cycle commuting than ever, using the trains and public transport than ever…people are already acting, we just need more help to do more, more quickly.

anagallis_arvensis

The latest threat is a biggie and we’re a bit late to the party

Wrote millions of complacent fools.

Drac

The latest threat is a biggie and we’re a bit late to the party but improvements are already happening we’re already on the journey,

The latest threat? They don’t just pop along in order it’s the same threats we’ve known about for decades.

Did it really need about 6 scientists to keep ramming home the size of the problem and worse case consequences for about 90% of the programme and about 6 minutes of offering up some pretty pathetic suggestions of what we as individuals can do.

Yes. It was about the damage we’ve caused, continue to cause and what will happen if we ignore it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Maybe you can’t post links whilst browsing on an iPad.

miketually
    Free Member

In the UK we have reduced CO2 emissions by nearly 45% outsourced our manufacturing to China since the late 70s.

Fixed that for you.

Moe

Love him or loath him ….. ‘I wasn’t listening ….. 😀

Jonathan Pie

cookeaa

I thought it was good, it’s as if my missus has suddenly woken up.

I can say the same sort of things about how wasteful we are and that the environment is knackered and I might as well be talking to myself, but if it comes packaged with some Attenborough it goes straight in.

she’s been on a carbon calculator this morning telling me how bad Beef and milk are for the environment, and suffering guilt pangs for booking flights to Cyprus later in the year…

She’ll have forgotten about the environment within a fortnight though I reckon.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I watched 15mins of it before I felt the need smash the TV.

Facts, fine. Get a balanced argument with some other scientists in a debating room and a couple of ppt’s and let them argue it out. Televise it so we can get a reasoned balanced argument..

Not a one sided diatribe of narration and overexposed images of aeroplanes blasting past the Sun with plumes of fire following them..

What an over exorbitant use of big words and big nasty images.

David should be ashamed, he’s possibly one of the most decent and informed citizens wandering around in his LRDiscovery and really should have taken hold of the storyboard, as is it looks like he’s turning into David Ike.

There is no doubt in my mind that climate change is with us now, and has been for some time. And it will take a ginormous amount of human endeavour to mitigate some of the easier failings we have contributed too.. But humans don’t like being shouted at, nor finger pointed at So this programme simply put was an indicative way of not broadcasting the message.

Simply because those families that watched it will still throw their Chinese Takeaway tubs in the bin, sit in traffic queues in their garish painted LREvokes whilst wearing expensive shoes made in a sweat shop in Indonesia tapping away on devices built in football stadium sized factories as another load of non-biodegradable materials get chucked in one end to be morphed into iShiny goods packaged in glamorous boxes and shipped halfway across the planet..

Simply put its Someone Else’s Problem.

Too late IMO to do anything about it.

Mass distinction is the only cure.

IMO

funkmasterp

Mass distinction is the only cure.

IMO

That’s a great typo 👍🏼

perchypanther
    Free Member

Too late IMO to do anything about it.

Maybe you should have watched the whole programme?

The message I got was that it isn’t someone else’s problem and that , in the opinion of lots of clever scientists, it’s not too late to do anything about it.

Drac

🤦🏻‍♂️

funkmasterp

I think he’s talking about the attitude of others and not his own. That’s the thing, most people don’t care until something actually directly affects them.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I think he’s talking about the attitude of others and not his own.

Maybe we should try and reach those other people and get the message through.

We could make a documentary with striking imagery and animals and scientists and that.

Maybe get a popular but well respected authority on the natural world to present it to try and reach a more populist audience

cinnamon_girl

Sounds as though I need to watch this. Is it available with subtitles?

Drac

I think he’s talking about the attitude of others and not his own. That’s the thing, most people don’t care until something actually directly affects them.

Which is very much the message on the show that it is having an effect on us all and will get worse but if you’re so angry that an aeroplane annoys you then you’re a lost cause.

Sounds as though I need to watch this. Is it available with subtitles?

iPlayer has subtitles.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤦🏻‍♂️

Trolling Drac, or just another one of your comments directed at me because you don’t like me?

I’d suggest you take that dark rain cloud of yours that follows you around and dump it on someone else’s playground.

It is someone else’s problem, because simply put no-one wants to do anything about it.. They are all too busy with their own lives to consider taking action.

Now, if you don’t like me, or my posts Ban me. Because I’m getting sick of you and your nasty attitude towards me.

HTHs

Drac

Eh?

funkmasterp

Maybe we should try and reach those other people and get the message through.

We could make a documentary with striking imagery and animals and scientists and that.

Maybe get a popular but well respected authority on the natural world to present it to try and reach a more populist audience

It’s like anything else though. The majority of people will look up from their meals, make all the right noises and say it’s terrible and then carry on as usual. Until something happens directly to them they’ll take no remedial action.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Trolling Drac, or just another one of your comments directed at me because you don’t like me?

Whoaahh hang on a minute, don’t go thinking It’s just you Drac doesn’t like. He doesn’t like me either.

Anyway…What Moe said. Watch the Jonathan Pie link, he puts in a bit of perspective about the how important it is for people not to be ‘inconvenienced’.

cinnamon_girl

Shame we can’t rely on a Tory government to do anything constructive, they can’t possibly upset their mates in industry nor can they take a risk with their shareholdings.

iPlayer has subtitles.

Thank you Drac.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘BBC Climate Change the Facts’ is closed to new replies.