Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • BB92, GXP bottom brackets, bit of a grease/rebuild ?
  • weeksy

I’ve got a GXP BB92 on the Meta AM29 that on the drive side is a bit grumbly.

Took the cranks off last night and I can removed the non drive side cover to get to the bearings and throw a little bit of grease in there. However on the drive side it seems to be recessed and next to impossible to get the dust cover off it, am I just being overly cautious ?

I’ve got another BB to go in there and looking at it with the red wiggly bit removed it seems the same and is indeed recessed in about 1-2mm.. So not sure if I can get that side out ?

I’ve not bought a BB fitting tool yet and my mate who has one is away until mid next week. Don’t want to pay £15 to get LBS to install it for me as I’m feeling tight today, so just wanted an interim fix (other than an iPod to drown it out).

blairc70
    Free Member

Should just pop off, try hook it with a small allen key? Think there made from some kind of aluminium with a coating, so a slight bending is fine. For fitting the new one you might need to get the hacksaw out if the frames the same as my AM 26″.

mssansserif
    Free Member

Tell me how you get on. Fancy giving mine a quick refresh before it gets to bad.

weeksy

Yeah I managed to get it off, however on the drive side you have access to the bearings to lob some grease in.

On the red side above, you have the red cover, another cover (alu thick one as described above), another cover… then the bearing… but the bearing is ‘sealed’ on that side, just a metal face there, so can’t grease it up. I had a little spin of it, and it doesn’t feel quite as ‘nice’ as the other one I have on my desk. So, it will have to be whipped out when my mate gets back from his adventures.

weeksy

Anyone have a BB92 fitting tool in/around West Berks ?

Called the LBS but they can’t fit it in for 4-5 days..

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Got a headset press, which has worked for other BB’s

weeksy

Busy tonight/tomorrow/Fri mate ? Fancy a free pint over in the village ?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Riding tonight, Thursday and out Friday, but around possibly Saturday

maxtorque

This is what i use:

Although i have a carbon frame which is nice and smooth so the nylon cups of the BB slide in easily!

weeksy

Just, I’m about Sat from 5pm, my 6 year old and his buddy are having sleepovers at our place, so about. (I’m also about all day today/tomorrow) I’ve stripped the bike, cleaned and greased everything so i’ll see today on a small road ride if that’s resolved anything.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘BB92, GXP bottom brackets, bit of a grease/rebuild ?’ is closed to new replies.