Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • BB86 question
  • alanf
    Free Member

It seems the Ultegra BB on my road bike has seized pretty much solid, so its replacement time. This is the first press fit BB I’ve had so I’m not up on what’s hot and what’s not. I’ve got hopes of various flavours on my mtb’s which I have no complaints about, but are they any good for this fitment and is there any others I should be considering?

sillyoldman

Wheels Mfg do a good thread together option which is quick and easy to fit, and uses a cheap tool to fit.
    http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/transmission-braking-components/bottom-brackets/bb86-92-outboard-abec-3-bb-for-24mm-shimano-cranks-black/

eshershore
    Free Member

@alanf

good question. my Shimano PF92 on my MTB went bad after 3 short months of mild XC rides and no jetwashing. replaced with another of the same because it was cheap and available

I’ve already replaced the Shimano PF86 on my road bike after 6 months, again with the same for same reasons.

the wheels manufacturing unit with angular contact bearings in aluminium alloy which screws together looks good, mainly for bottom bracket stability

I’m sure one of the big factors in short bearing life on these nylon PF units is the axle placing high loads on the bearings whilst pedalling, perhaps caused by slight misalignment. no idea what bearing type shimano use in there? might just be radial cartridge rather than angular contact.

alanf
    Free Member

The wheels MFG looks good apart from the fact it has Enduro bearings in it.
    I’ve had these before and despite the fact they are claimed to be high quality with a price tag to match, I find that they aren’t very good. The Hope looks like you need the special tool to fit which at nearly 40 quid is a bit steep for a (hopefully) 1 off fitment.

lunge

I’ve got a Hope one which does the job nicely and has stopped the creak that the Shimano one had left, you do need a special tool to fit it though.

alanf
    Free Member

Lunge – did you fit yourself and is the tool a necessity or can you get around it?

lunge

Lunge – did you fit yourself and is the tool a necessity or can you get around it?

I did fit it myself, it’s not a difficult process but there is no way you can do it without the tool that I could see.
    There is a vid here that explains how:

alanf
    Free Member

Thanks Lunge.

So both cups are pressed in independently and then the connecting tube is wound in afterwards.
    Is it not just a big hex key to turn in the tube?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘BB86 question’ is closed to new replies.