Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • BB7s on a track dropout inbred – any issues?
  • geoffj

I’m doing a frame swap for mrs j onto an inbred. I thought I remembered something about not all calipers fitting the chainstay mount. Anything I need to consider or should it bolt straight on? 160mm rotors.
    I would normally just crack on, but the donor bike is 100 miles away and I’ll only have a limited tool set / spares box with me when I do it. Ta.

scaredypants

Onone used to state that BB7s didn’t fit, I think
    160s a bit tight on my slotty scandal – 180 moves the caliper a bit further out so OK. Main thing is tightening down onto the adaptor (and maybe clamping the cable IIRC); bolts are barely accessible

geoffj

Bugger – looks like she may be getting new brakes too!

scaredypants

I should stress, this is an oldsish scandal – rear triangle may have changed since

julianwilson
    Free Member

geoffj, yes the blurb said it was’nt compatible but: I successfully bodged a 160mm bb7 on mrs j’s slot dropout inbred. (not the current one with the funny washers, the one from the big bargain batch a couple of years ago with ‘normal’ slots/trackends. Diggerent brakes now so sorry I can’t do you a photo of what it looked like.

As I recall, the trick was to wind the fixed inner pad out (towards the rotor) a bit, and the moving inner pad in (away from the rotor) a bit, and then fix the brake cable so that the ‘arm’ of the caliper rests at 1/4 to 1/3 into its travel rather than going all the way back when you let go of the brake lever, as this is the bit that fouls the seatstay. I also wrapped a bit of helitape round the seatstay to fit and set it up, and in case of sudden cable failure.

It was pretty simple (I mean, I managed it!) and I managed to get the same travel and feel at the lever end as the normally-set-up front one. I also managed it on a 14″ one which I guess will have the smallest angle between chain and seat stays, and therefore tightest caliper clearance.

geoffj

Thanks julian – I guess I’m just going to have to suck it and see!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘BB7s on a track dropout inbred – any issues?’ is closed to new replies.