Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • BB30 – time to sort once and for all
  • ElVino

To cut a long story short, I have had nothing but trouble from the BB30 bottom bracket on my Orro Terra Gravel. It’s been to the shop 3 times, the last time Orro supplied a new Bottom Bracket which did the trick for about 6 months, now it is squeaking again. I am planning to replace it with either a Rotor or Wheel Mfg convertor
    Rotor one
    Wheels Mfg
    Anyone got any experience of either, Rotor one is a bit cheaper but I would need someone to install it as I don’t have the tools. Evans would install the Wheels Mfg one for a fee of course.
    Thanks EV

zippykona

I bought my Spearfish off someone years ago and he had installed a Praxis.
    No idea what it is but it has lasted years and never creaked. I will be installing one on my Anthem when it arrives.

wilburt
    Free Member

Sounds. like your commited to a change but bearing fit liquid and good bearings works for me if your willing to give them another chance.

crazy-legs

I’ve just (in the last month or so) fitted one of those Wheels Manufacturing ones to my Specialized CX bike which was plagued with creaking/cracking BB.

So far it’s been nicely silent and the BB went in OK with a bit of faffing around with spacers – I’m running a 2×10 with a Rotor chainset and a Shimano front mech which sometimes takes a bit of fettling to get right.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Neither.
    Fit one of these and use a threaded BB of your choice.

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you found those to be creak-free Roschach?

garage-dweller

I’ve gone for a Hope (reducing one from 30mm axle down to 24mm so I could ditch the leaden SRAM cranks for some spare XTs I had).

Have a look at hope’s website (I think it’s called the pf46?). I’m not going to be able to describe how it fits as well as they can.

Too early in its life cycle to give a long term view but it seems really well made and was bought on the back of comments on here. I do have a bit of drive train click but there’s a head of places that could be coming from.

kirky72
    Free Member

I just stupidly bought the wheels pf 30 bottom bracket which is the enduro bearing version screw into each other, however I have a bb30 on my cannondale so the only way is to press in bearings or convert to a 24mm due to having a 30mm shell built in already,

If you ant to go that way I’ll sell mine for 50£ delivery rather than faff returning it, cost me 55 and postage. Not fitted and still in the box I realised as I got round to replacing my clicking bearings.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ve fitted 20-30 of the FSA threaded shells over the years and currently have one fitted to my road bike.Never had an issue with them creaking (still same problems with bsa BB’s but it’s the best of a bad lot!!)
    They are a bit of a PITA to fit without the right tools and I’d class them as semi permanent (they are an even bigger PITA to remove!!)

tillydog
    Free Member

PSA (ish):

FSA adaptor is £5.41 at Ribble

Fitted one to my Diverge today without drama. Waiting for the glue* to dry before I can test it. Since it is a pretty solid tube that takes a standard Shimano BB (or what have you), I’m pretty confident it won’t creak (the original BB/spacer arrangement had started creaking annoyingly after ~3000 miles, and dismantling / greasing it all didn’t silence it for very long).

Ribble are also doing Ultegra BBs for a reasonable price atm.

It looks and feels like a properly engineered solution.

*It seems these are sometimes supplied with glue (loctite 608), but this one didn’t come with any. I used Loctite 638 as I already had some.

tillydog
    Free Member

In weight-weenie style:

belugabob
    Free Member

It looks and feels like a properly engineered solution.

…to what seems to be a badly thought out solution to the original properly engineered solution. 😉

Stedlocks
    Free Member

FSA thingy on my spearfish for about 3 years now….no issues and no poxy PF30 bb either!

tillydog
    Free Member

…to what seems to be a badly thought out solution to the original properly engineered solution.

Indeed! 😀

nickfrog
    Free Member

FSA adaptor for me – solves an issue that should never have been created…

RustyNissanPrairie

+another 1 for the FSA.
    Leave it in the freezer for a few hours and pour some boiling water on the BB shell to assist installation.
    Thankfully another shite piece of SRAM kit assigned to the scrap bin.

Dickyboy

Just make sure you have the correct length FSA adaptor before fitting 😳

igm

Can you get a BB30a adaptor (extra 5mm over BB30), or am I stuck with a Cannondale?

chakaping
    Free Member

Ok, I’m gonna go for it cheers.

kimbers

Fitted the works one last night, but on my process it was a pain due to the swingarm fouling the tool, is in now though!

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s important you fit them the right way round too!! 😳

fanatic278
    Free Member

Just for the record, I have the WheelsMFG one. It’s clicking after a month.

Oddly, I had the previous version that didn’t screw together. It came with the Enduro angular contact bearings. They started clicking after a few months. I pushed the bearings out and replaced with SKF and it lasted >1 year. I should have just replaced the bearings again, but liked the idea of the screw fit version. Not sure what to do now… go back to the old one or stick with the screw fit one (with SKF bearings obvs).

epicyclo

Doesn’t ISIS look like a much better system now. 🙂

igm

I confused that with one of th political threads epicyclo.

lee-bee
    Free Member

I had bb30 on my cannondale road bike 1st bb lasted 6 months since then I remove chainset then bearing seal with a tiny hook and regrease around every 8 months. Its been creak free for about a year and a half now. Seems to be working for me and I use the bike in all weather.
    Good luck anyway I know things like this really piss you off.

compass81

Got a Rotor one on my CAAD9 about 18 months ago, all I can really say is that it went on easy and I’ve not had touch it since. The old BB30 was only good for about 3 months before the braking started again.

RustyNissanPrairie

Creaking aside I binned my SRAM S1400/BB30 setup purely because of that stupid threaded grey plastic preload adjustment arrangement.

epicyclo

igm – Member
    I confused that with one of th political threads epicyclo.

At least ISIS has threads – keeps the whole thing together nicely. 🙂

(And if MI5/6 or whatever are reading this, ISIS is a bicycley thing)

Oops! drones despatched to nearest lbs…

sargey

I have a praxis bb30 converter in my mtb and the bearings need replacing.
    Does anyone know if they just knock out or is there a special tool required to remove the bearings.
    Cheers.

lazybike
    Free Member

Invariably there will be a special tool…doesn’t mean they won’t knock out though.

LeeW

I didn’t think the bearings were replaceable on the Praxis one.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

I fitted a Praxxis Works BB30 adaptor on my previous Whyte 29-C when the original, crappy FSA BB30 died after about 3500km. I put over 9000km on the Praxxis BB prior to selling the bike, I checked the bearings prior to selling and they were still as smooth as new.

Some might consider Praxxis slightly pricey but I’d highly recommend their BB30 adaptor, bloody great design.

salad_dodger

Given that pressfit bottom brackets need to be manufactured to really high tolerances, any squeaking would suggest that the BB sleeve is not up to the required standard. Anyone tried returning the bike/frame for a refund as surely they’re not fit for purpose?

LeeW

Pretty sure it’d come back with them saying the BB shell is in tolerance – they’d decide what that is after they’ve measured it. 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

. Anyone tried returning the bike/frame for a refund as surely they’re not fit for purpose?

Good luck with that…….

tillydog
    Free Member

A lot of the problem on mine was that it used adaptors for a 24mm crank spindle. The BB30 bearings don’t align with the journals on a HT2 crank, so the adaptors have a bending load on them and are bound to start creaking eventually.

hambl90
    Free Member

FSA adapter here too, fitted to my jekyll.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got some enduro BB30 to GXP adapters I’d sell if you’re interested. They were squeek free until I swapped back to BB30 for some cranks I got.

dovebiker

The problem is that general machining tolerances aren’t good enough for precision bearing alignment – Magic Motorcycle who designed BB30 didn’t intend it to be mass-produced, but Cannondale who bought MM ignored the fact and foisted the crock on an unsuspecting market.

ElVino

Went for the FSA sleeve on ribble and an ultegra threaded bottom bracket. Now just need to find someone in London to fit it for me. Thanks for advice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘BB30 – time to sort once and for all’ is closed to new replies.