Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • BB30 cranks
  • HarveyStedham
    Free Member

Just wondering if BB30 cranks can be used with conventional external bottom brackets? I am thinking that because BB30 helped to reduce Q factor that the axle length will be wrong for this to work?

CRC have several good deals on FSA BB30 cranks but no good as my frame doesnt support it!

Thanks;

Harvey

dirtyrider
    Free Member

yes,

use the e13 bottom brackets

ratherbeintobago

use the e13 bottom brackets

E13 bottom bracket adapters are designed to let you use E13 cranks in a BB30 frame. AFAIK you can’t make BB30 cranks work in a frame not designed for BB30/PF30 as the spindle’s too big.

Andy

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    ratherbeintobago

I don’t think they’ll work with BB30 cranks.

While it looks like E.13 cranks have a 30mm spindle, they’re designed to work with external bearings (so they’re not really BB30 cranks as they have a longer spindle). BB30 needs the bearings to sit inside the BB shell width of 68-73mm. For an ISO BB shell, the internal diameter is 1.375″ (= approx 34.9mm) – this wouldn’t leave a lot of space for the bearings, which is why a BB30 shell is 41.6mm across.

While it’s easy enough to sleeve a BB30 bottom bracket to take an ISO BB or use adaptors to use 24mm spindle cranks with BB30 bearings, it doesn’t work the other way round.

Andy

dhrider
    Free Member

No, it won’t work.

Using E13 cups would be a bodge job.

andyl
    Free Member

I guess you could get some external cups with oversize bearings to take the 30mm shaft. But surely BB30 and pressfit 30 cranks have a lower Q factor so a shorter shaft so if you have external bearings the spindle won’t be long enough.

So no in that the too narrow and no in that the spindle is too large in diameter as its 30mm.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ive used cannondale hollowgrams with the e13 cups

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘BB30 cranks’ is closed to new replies.