bb30 conversion options

Home Forum Bike Forum bb30 conversion options

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • bb30 conversion options
  • tpbiker

Looking to run a shimano crank on my caad x

I know about the braxxis option, but there appears to be cheaper alternatives ie this fsa adapter

whats wrong with the cheaper verisons?

Premier Icon tillydog
    Subscriber

a) It’s semi permanent which puts some people off (permanent in a carbon frame).

b) Some bikes have a ridge in the middle of the BB shell that stops you being able to fit one.

tpbiker

It’s going I’m an Alu frame. I assumed I could just take it out if it’s rubbish but does it need bonded in?

If I need to bond it and it’s not going to squeak relentlessly then not an issue as I don’t envisage ever not using a shimano crank, but if there’s a risk it’ll be a liability I’ll stick with a praxis which I have on my carbon full suss, and which works perfectly

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Just got one of them FSA sleeves in my Enduro 29 (PF30), really chuffed with it and have no intention of removing.

Not ridden it yet – but there were no negative reports in the buyer reviews.

rapidrob95

I have a 2011 caadx, and I fitted a rotor bb30 to 24mm adaptor after having the usual problems. IIRC you do need to watch out for obstructions, I think my cable guide stuck though into the bb area. Mine has been quiet for 2000 miles/18 months, but I have started hearing a creak when pushing hard, although I haven’t investigated it yet. I threadlocked the main thread which screws the two halves together.

tpbiker

No cables running through my BB, but no idea if there is anything else in there that will cause issues.

Chakaping how easy is it to fit, assuming you are running a shimano crank? Is it just a case of removing the old one and pressing in the adaptor, then screwing in the shimano BB cups? Or is locktite/glue required?

Not that I have the tools to do it myself anyway however …

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

It comes with loctite.

I couldn’t get the PF30 BB out so I got the LBS to remove that and fit the adaptor, they said it was a nice easy job.

Shimano BB cups screw in lovely.

hambl90

I fitted the fsa one earlier in the year to my cannondale jekyll, not had any problems so far.
    Tapped the old bb out from the opposite side then pressed in the fsa with the loctite supplied.

tpbiker

Cheers folks

I’ll speak to the guys at the bike shop and see how much they will charge to fit it. If they can tempt me with a free fitting of a praxis they sell me then I might be swung.. But good to know I have options

breatheeasy

There also the KCNC adaptor which I run on my Cannondale CAADX, not really an adaptor, just a Shimano compatible bb that you thread in from both sides – need two bb tools mind!

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

Tempted by this FSA thing. Anyone know if it’ll fit in a carbon Stumpy? Having got fed up with the Sram PF30 BB, I fitted a Wheels MFG BB (the one where it presses in and screws in).

One side has seized in less than 6 months and they aren’t cheap 🙁

So now I’m thinking of the faff knocking the bearing out and pressing another one in. Or, get one of these and enjoy £20 Shimano BBs that last more than 6 months. I think I even have some spare Raceface cranks too!

Premier Icon tillydog
    Subscriber

The FSA ones do need to be bonded in (IMHO). I fitted one to my Diverge DSW about 600 miles ago. Too early to comment on longevity, but it feels rock solid, and I can’t believe it will be a problem.

Easy enough to press in if you’re used to doing bearings, etc. (Just be sure that you’ve got the correct ‘hand’ of thread on the correct side – from memory, the drive side has a groove around it, but DON’T trust my memory!)

I didn’t get any glue with mine (it was VERY cheap: Ribble were selling them for just over a fiver), so worth checking if you do buy one. I had something suitable to hand, but I would use the suggested epoxy adhesive if you think you may ever need to remove it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.