Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • BB cup, salvageable or bin..?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

BB arrived in a chainset I bought, it wasn’t perfect but I’ve hashed it much worse. Bin it or could a bike shop get it installed for me?

loddrik
    Free Member

Ok photos not working but can a bike shop repair a thread on an external BB cup or do need a new BB?

All I can find on the web is related to the bb shell.

loddrik
    Free Member

Anyone??

benji
    Free Member

Without seeing it, it’s difficult to say. I have had good success with thread restoring files on car components, it’s just a case of matching the pitch then gently stroking the thread back. It’s worth a try.

z1ppy

Again without a photo, it difficult to assess, but what should be obvious from your searching, is that the bikes BB shell is easily damaged & though repairs are possible (Goldtec helicoiled one for me) it’s not cheap. A new BB cup is a hell of a lot cheaper, food for thought?

ska-49
    Free Member

I’d just buy a new BB. Not worth risking your frame threads for that.. Keep it for spares.

bigyinn
    Free Member

You could try carefully filing the BB cup threads to get them back into shape. Perhaps then try fitting it to an old steel frame (if you have one) as a test, as steel is harder than aluminium, so shouldnt damage as easily.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘BB cup, salvageable or bin..?’ is closed to new replies.