Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Battlefield 4 multiplayer: how do you play it? Seems totally random!
  • londonerinoz
    Free Member

So, I bought a PS4, played through the campaign only scoring bronze trophies, and now I’ve tried out the multiplayer (which is apparently meant to be what this game is so good at), and I have no idea what’s going on. Is there a tutorial or beginner’s guide? I can’t even use the tactical, and I just get shot out of nowhere from players I haven’t even seen. Your tips and experiences would be most welcome.

stewartc
    Free Member

Sounds like the first time I played COD:Black OpsII after a long layoff from playing FPS or any other games.
    No longer play but if I can offer advice, keep plugging away, you will eventually end up on a map with players worse than you and this will then raise your confidence!

Smudger666

I find snipers a real pita in bf4 – it’s manic for a few seconds then bam – shot from t’other side of the map.

I’ve tried sniping back and got nowhere, tried ducking on spawn and getting to cover but then get pinned down and shot by some LPB who appears out of nowhere.

Sincerely, frustrated of Dunfermline!

Edit, but look in the bright side – in less than two weeks, a whole new batch of kids will wake up with a new xbone,/pissy4 and they’ll kick my ass too!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Are you playing conquest mode?
    If so this involves 4/5 bases that you need to control (a to e). You control them by basically having the most soldiers there and foiling any insurgent attacks.
    Mini map bottom left is very useful, you will be a green arrow, baddies will be red, you need to continuously flick your eyes to this to spot the reds which will give you an idea of their position and heading.
    This will also tell you where the bases are. Using this you can check your location on the map and where you need to go.
    Spawn where there is little danger. You can spawn in bases you hold or with squad members, hover over before spawning and you’ll see what’s kicking off at that point.
    Practice! Practice!
    Perhaps start as recon (sniper) and move through the map slowly so as to keep a low profile whilst you get a feel for it.
    Final thing, I’d suggest as you’re on ps4 you are gonna be mixing it up with hard core gamers…..

Haze

A big part of becoming even slightly competent and staying alive is knowing the map, takes a bit of time and can be very frustrating.

You’ll always get taken out be unseen enemies, just remember that although staying alive is useful to the team score, what’s more important is picking up those points from base captures.

Sometimes it’s good to take one for the team!

wrightyson
    Free Member

To reinforce the above I have come first in a game with only 3 kills. Following orders also scores well. And want to points make…. Bettererer guns!

Haze

That’s what I used to love about the Battlefield series, the focus being on the team rather than the individual score.

Get this right and you’ll really start to love and understand the game.

And OP, get to cover…lots!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Its a steep learning curve that’s for sure but stick at it, its very rewarding when you get a feel for the game. Learn the maps, move from cover to cover quickly. When behind cover and about to move somewhere, take a look around in the distance for any movement that doesn’t have a blue or green arrow over it. Then ‘spot’ (not sure which button that will be on PS4) that enemy and an orange arrow will go over their head highlighting them to all you team-mates. You can ‘spot’ vehicles too. Its a great way to highlight enemies and get extra points. Fire weapons in short bursts for better accuracy. Crouch or go prone and fire for even better accuracy. You can be the best player on a team and not even fire a shot. Play Conquest mode, you can earn stacks of points sneaking between bases and capturing them hidden away somewhere. Try out the different classes. My favourite is engineer. Unlock the different launchers/anti-tank mines and concentrate on just blowing up vehicles if you like. Its immensely satisfying blowing a chopper out of the sky with an RPG-7. There’s so many ways to play the game, its best to experiment. But stick at it, its worth it.

Lifer
    Free Member

On PS3 it’s R2 to spot when looking down the sights.

‘Rush’ is probably the best game mode to start with and get a feel for the game as you are either attacking or defending and it’s only 2 objectives at a time. Love how manic it gets!

makkag
    Free Member

Nothing to add on the above – Just keep playing and learn the maps.
    If there are any PS3 players on bf4 im makkag78 and on it quite a bit to the other half’s mild frustration

sandwicheater

Loved BF3 and assume the concepts have not changed.

As said above, the key is practise and knowing your maps and knowing which games you enjoy.

Practise, practise, practise and then you will be and ace mofo, honest.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was once in the top 30k players on bf2 (bad company) on the xbox, some would say big deal top 30k, its unbelievable how many people were playing at the time and how many hours some go put in. That took a hell of a lot of playing yo get there, however that was all before reintegration to mtb…

almightydutch
    Free Member

Biggest tip I can give to noobs is play on the smaller servers as paying against 64 players can be tricky if you’re trying to learn and without good map knowledge you really are a sitting duck for most of it.

Stick with the same class for a while, it really helps to build up better guns/sights etc. I find std iron sights on the guns hard to use but as soon as you get a Red Dot Sight I find it much easier. Angled grips help with recoil too which helps with accuracy and as has been said, burst fire is way more accurate than emptying a whole clip in one go.

Snipers are usually only ever an issue if you are a static player, once you’ve mastered never allowing your character to become stationary only the better snipers can pick you off.

Spotting and Map reading are essential, the mini-map really does help and you should take the time to study how to read it correctly and it will become a great allie.

Any PC players in the house?

londonerinoz
    Free Member

Thanks. Yes, it was Conquest, so hang around a base with your random team mates I guess. Is spotting the same as using the tactical glasses? That didn’t seem to work at all. Is there any form of difficulty selection?

Is it worth buying the guides in the game store? I saw one by Prima. Trawl the internet for guides and videos? I kind of thought this console gen was meant to be about the sharing and community, so it seems bizarre I might need to go onto my computer to learn how to play the game.

I’ve got an iPad so it sounds from your comments like it might be a good idea to download the map app.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Thanks. Yes, it was Conquest, so hang around a base with your random team mates I guess. Is spotting the same as using the tactical glasses? That didn’t seem to work at all. Is there any form of difficulty selection?

I’ve not played battlefied 4(or a PS4) but in battlefield 3 you’d spot while looking throught the scope of your gun and pressing select. Sounds a bit more complicated than it is, you quickly become used to doing it and becomes second nature.

I was once in the top 30k players on bf2 (bad company) on the xbox, some would say big deal top 30k, its unbelievable how many people were playing at the time and how many hours some go put in. That took a hell of a lot of playing yo get there, however that was all before reintegration to mtb…

I logged about 600 hours in total on bad company 2 😳 . Which is a bit frightening!

dandax1990
    Free Member

If you’re new to BF then I’d stay away from Conquest and stick to modes like Rush.

Also remember when sniping you have to account for distance and the fact your bullet will drop.

When sniping, spotting your opponents is the key. Well it’s the key in general. I’m non-stop spotting the enemy when I play and the points soon rack up. Loving Obliteration right now, I only ever played Sabotage on MW3 and since they got rid of that game mode, COD is boring.

DanielDaxner, add me on PSN and we can have a few games 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

I’m missing sabotage on COD as well. Used to love a sprint to the bomb, sprint to plant, could finish some games in 60 secs or so if people were trying to be all sneaky.

Haze

I used to play BF2 on PC, I built it specifically for the game and caned it for ages.

It could just about cope with BC2, since I couldn’t justify the cost of a new build I went to console for BF3.

It wasn’t the same, reading this thread I really miss those Desert Combat days.

marko75
    Free Member

Just bought bf4 – played multiplayer and on my first go died 7 times! Its a steep learning curve. Hope to be on later tonight and get to grips with the controls/map etc.

londonerinoz
    Free Member

http://www.primagames.com/games/battlefield-4/guides/battlefield-4-eguide/battlefield-bootcamp/getting-started

This is the best guide I’ve found. They let you access the basic stuff like this for free, and charge for the rest, but it’s only $10.

I’m getting better slowly and actually managing to stay alive, make some kills, and capture some bases.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Crell
    Free Member

Marko 7 deaths isn’t bad.

I played a lot of BF2 & 3, I bought 4 last weekend and got murdered. Combination of diving straight into the biggest maps and playing conquest.As above stick to rush to begin with.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Battlefield 4 multiplayer: how do you play it? Seems totally random!’ is closed to new replies.