• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by turq.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Battery Powered Lights for Garage
  • tootallpaul

I have a garage with no power, and now the nights have drawn in I’d like to get some (inexpensive) battery powered lighting.

Any suggestions/ideas/reccommendations?

Cheers all…

Paul

somouk
    Free Member

There are some solar LED ones designed for sheds that might work well for you.

Other than that how about a small generator to run proper lights?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Solar panel

car battery

12v lighting

old car stereo 😉

wwaswas

I’d go for the leisure battery powered solution.

12v lamps without a transformer are easily available in lots of different formats, you can charge the battery easily and it’ll give you long service.

tootallpaul

Somouk- I’ve had a look at the solar ones, and they come in at about £80.

I was looking for something nearer £30.

Nice idea Trailrat- but again, a little costly.

I have a nice rechargeable DAB radio for music needs.

The garage is near enough to run an extension when I need to work in their for an evening- this is really just for putting bike away, finding things etc…

beiciwr64
    Free Member

I use 2x 12v T5 led tubes in my shed.
    Fitted in to a caravan strip lighting unit.
    Also use them in my camper van.
    Not cheap but great lights.
    Have some spare if you want.

wwaswas

this is really just for puttin bike away, finding things

petzl head torch on a hook by the door.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what wwaswas said.

tootallpaul

A good point…

grum
    Free Member

Lidl or Aldi had some recently – the ones where it’s a circular light and you press the whole thing to switch on/off.

footflaps

The garage is near enough to run an extension when I need to work in their for an evening-

Just use this?

I’ve had the workshop powered off a 50m extension lead for the last year. At some point I’ll get round to wiring up the dedicated armoured cable I’ve run to it.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I bought cheap – SLA batt with 2 fluoro tubes in one unit. Batteries never lasted long. You def want to go 12v strip and leisure battery.

tootallpaul

I can’t leave the extension lead in place- It runs down a shared path.

🙁

DezB
    Free Member

These little PIR lights are pretty bright – link

Take 3 AAAs – battery life isn’t great in a high usage area, but in a garage they’d be fine. Cheap anyway!

stumpy01

Something like this hung by the door:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/handtools/torches-work-lights/torches/B-and-Q-24-LED-Magnetic-Inspection-Clip-Light-Black-10467521?skuId=10958227

Tesco do loads of this kind of thing too. Not sure if they are any cheaper though.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Solar panel

car battery

12v lighting

old car stereo

This is what’s we’ve got in our beach hut. Lighting is by 12v LED tape (looks v cool) plus I’ve wired in a car 12v outley so we can charge phones, etc which is a big help.
    Not the same useage though – we go to the beach at 10 a.m. and may not return until 11 p.m.
    Going to add another battery and more task-specific lighting (changing area/worktop/outside) which can be switched separately. Also got a tiny battery charge display for about £2.50 from China so I can see if/when additional charging is required.

jairaj

My parents have one these when going into the shed when its dark. Its more than bright enough to light up a garage to do basic work eg put bikes away. If you were spannering away on the bike or doing something intricate you’d want to bring it closer or use something brighter.

tootallpaul

jairaj- that looks spot on…

turq

I’m about to get one of these for the very same reason

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rechargeable-portable-li-ion-led-site-light-240v-10w/61325

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Battery Powered Lights for Garage’ is closed to new replies.