Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Battery powered lawn mowers.
  • medlow
    Free Member

My Hayter petrol has given up the ghost again, It’s been brought back from the dead many times… This time it’s terminal (says my dad)

It’s time for a new mower.
    Small garden and I really don’t want a cable mower.
    So it’s either a new petrol or battery. I’m keen to try a battery if they are any good.

Anyone with experiences?
    Key things to look for?
    Do they just suck 4ss?

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got a Viking (made by Stihl) and it’s great. Cuts well, battery lasts.well. Nice and light. Really convenient and clean. Very happy with it.

LAT

Not a bloody e-mower! You need a push-along.

but seriously, my wife bought one (mainly so she could keep up when we mow the lawn together). Our lawn is 19 paces by 19 paces (of a 30” inside leg) and there is more than enough juice for the job. I have no idea what make it is, but has been great so far.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    medlow
    Free Member

Ha, we do actually have a push along… But it’s pretty crap and does not get the long bits.
    Noisy and the amount of times i’ve nearly flipped over the handle bar when it decides to jam on a twig no bigger than a matchstick.

v8ninety

I bought a Lidl one about 4 years ago. It’s the mutz for what I need it for, still going strong. Much nicer and lighter than a petrol, much more convenient than a cable electric. Heartily recommended.

LAT

Ha, we do actually have a push along… But it’s pretty crap

Yours sounds even worse than mine!

Jason
    Free Member

I bought a Bosch Rotak 430 two years to replace an old petrol mower. Very happy with it, our lawn isn’t huge and the battery mower is far easier to use. It came with two batteries, but I can probably cut the lawn twice on a single charge. It also has a leaf collection setting which is handy at this time of year. Only downside is that it doesn’t leave stripes in the lawn!

I bought it from Amazon in their Black Friday sale for about half of what they are currently for sale for.

revs1972
    Free Member

Just bought a Makita 18v x 2 (already have 5ah batteries )
    Lawn is 25m x 10m and on paper it should do it on one charge.
    If this rain ever stops I’ll give it a whirl

nickclift
    Free Member

Bought one of these bad boys in June plus a spare battery;
    Bosch 36 V 4.0 A 43 LI Rotak Ergoflex Rotary Mower
    Not cheap, but is awesome. Can do a full lawn and a half from one battery. Easily adjustable cut height, stripes n all. Get one, you wont be dissapointed.

PhilO
    Free Member

+1 for a push mower. I bought the cheapest I could get this time last year when our electric mower died, and it’s so easy to do our 60m2ish of grass with it that I’ll happily crack on 3 times a week during peak growing season… It’s a bit narrow, though, so am pondering investing in a better/wider one. They definitely shouldn’t be noisy – if yours is, then it might have a bent blade.

medlow
    Free Member

Loadsa love for the battery mower.. I’m sold.!
    Cheers guys.

tonyf1
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Ryobi one as a deal including battery and charger. They’ve got a special Christmas offer on until the end of the year which gets you a second tool FOC.

paulx
    Free Member

Another vote for the Lidl one. I paid £129 for it inc the battery and charger.

I’ve done two seasons with it so far – I think it came with a 3 year warranty as well. Works perfectly. I’ve seen the same mower for sale under different brand names in French hypermarkets at about the same sort of price.

chipster

Thread resurrection :
    It’s looking like I’ll have to upgrade the mower, as the dear wife has scrapped the 12 year old petrol one.
    Anyone got thoughts/insight?

mudder
    Free Member

I have been using a Erbauer e-mower for 18 months now (2x18V lithium batteries)
    Cuts well, good battery life , fast recharging nothing not too like.

I got a deal from B&Q at the time and got the hedge strimmer (uses a singe battery)
    works well and stops me cutting the power cable. Then I later added the Garden Strimmer.

Just to comment I am still pedalling and have not bought an eBike quite yet 🙂

nixie

I got a mountfield one for this summer and it’s been great so far. Came with two batteries. Depending on grass length I can do the whole garden on one (150m² iirc).

Kahurangi

I’ve got a Worx one and it’s OK. Wouldn’t rave about it, but was cheap (£200 incl. 2x batteries, charger and strimmer).

Cuts, picks up most of the grass, some of the leaves.

chipster

Thanks for the replies.
    So, I’ll be buying one, but would it be better to buy now, before they’re all outta stock, or wait for Black Friday deals? Are there ever any left by then?

granny_ring

I got the Aldi one (same as Lidl one by the looks of it) as I’ve got their battery chainsaw and multi tool so they all use the same 40v batteries.

Only used the mower twice but it’s been fine for what I need.

But, the first mower was faulty from the get go but was sent a replacement and that’s been fine.

intheborders
    Free Member

It’d be handy if folk commenting on their battery mowers could give us an indication of how long they get from each charge.

I’ve a fair amount of grass and it takes me 2.5/3.0 hours with my 500mm width petrol mower – is a battery mower even feasible for me?

frogstomp

Another vote for the Lidl (Florabest) mower bought 4 or 5 years ago. Will just about do my sizeable (350m²) lawn on a charge if it’s dry and I don’t hang about.

Would definitely get another battery mower next time, albeit one with a wider deck!

nickjb
    Free Member

It’d be handy if folk commenting on their battery mowers could give us an indication of how long they get from each charge.

I’ve a fair amount of grass and it takes me 2.5/3.0 hours with my 500mm width petrol mower – is a battery mower even feasible for me?

I must admit I don’t actually know how long it lasts. We have a pretty sizeable outdoor space but only bits of it are lawn. The majority is natural, more meadow-like. The battery mower is great for this as you can move from section to section without a cable or lugging a heavy petrol mower (we are quite a hill, too). It lasts long enough for that. We have other tools in the range and more batteries so its not an issue anyway

That said, no way could I be bothered with 3 hours of mowing to do every time. Could you reduce the area of lawn? It’d make your life easier and I suspect the neighbours would thank you too

joshvegas
    Free Member

Buy one use it until it stops. Torch the rest.

Kahurangi

intheborders – you’ll be needing a second set of batteries for that,, or a fast charger. Or some sheep?

I get what the specs say out of mine, easily. Mix of Eco and Turbo modes (mostly turbo, to make short work of the new turf and try to pick up leaves & petals), around the trampoline and awkward bits. About 150m2 from the 2x small capacity (2Wh?) batteries.

razorrazoo

Bookmarked for future mower purchase.

intheborders
    Free Member

That said, no way could I be bothered with 3 hours of mowing to do every time. Could you reduce the area of lawn? It’d make your life easier and I suspect the neighbours would thank you too

1 We have…
    2 He uses a ride-on for his, plus his tractor 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Battery powered lawn mowers.’ is closed to new replies.