Bats in the house

Home Forum Chat Forum Bats in the house

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bats in the house
  • camo16

My folks have bats in their roof, thousands of the little blighters.

It’s fine, except they can’t do anything to their roof/attic without consulting the (bat) man.

Once they’re in, you can’t kick them out…

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

You want Dave of the mag for that one.

Premier Icon Alphabet
    Subscriber

Well one bat to be precise. We found it flying round and round an upstairs room, coming within inches of us but never touching us. Shooting off at right angles at the last moment. Totally silent. Utterly mesmerising and brilliant. I could have watched it for hours. Eventually we held towels up and slowly reduced it’s area of flight until it found the open window and left.

So now I’m thinking of building a bat box to entice more into the garden. Does anyone on here have any experience with bats roosting close by? Any downsides?

z1ppy

The only downside I see (after a couple of bat walks 😉 ) is that once they roost and have been seen to roost in your bat box, the bat box is then protected under law and cannot be disturbed. Obviously not a major issue unless you place it on your house & then want to extend the house (or the next buyer does)..

As for Camo’s point, bats apparently tend to stick to the eve’s of houses and any you find inside the loft are usually lost and are trying to get out (usually die unfortunately), unless of course their loft is full of holes. They can be moved, but it can’t be done during particular seasons got good reason (mating/rearing young) & you will need to consult bat experts (que lots of whiney house owners who aren’t able to extend there house thats been a bat roost for hundreds of years).

They’re a protected species for good reason, everything tries to kill and eat them (bird/squirrels!), yet do bugger all damage to property and are amazing to see.
    We usually get loads in our garden but have seen none this year, last years very wet conditions, meant that there wasn’t that much in the way of insects and even then, bats cant fly (well?) in the rain. So the expert on our last walk was very concerned about the UK population

Get a bat box built, just put it in a tree would be my advise.

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

I’m in the US, so maybe different rules. After I bought my house in 1996, I had a bat or two get into the house. (The cats were very entertained!) I found that there were bats in the attic, getting in through a gap around the poorly constructed eave vent.

I waited till winter (when the bats migrate and hibernate somewhere), replaced the vent and sealed everything up real well so that they couldn’t get back in. And I bought and installed a little bat house. When they came back in the spring, the bats moved in! 😀

The only negative is bat crap. There are bat droppings underneath the bat house, but they’re not a big deal. But years and years of bat crap in and attic or wall would certainly become a problem!

Oh, and bats like to be warm. Bat houses need sun exposure, like on the southern wall of a house.

Dave

First things first, America’s a different situation to Europe so don’t block anything up as that’s going to land you in trouble given all UK bats are protected species.

Everything you need to know about bats can be found here: http://www.bats.org.uk/

If you’ve had a bat in the house there’s a chance you already have a roost, ring the helpline who should be able to arrange for someone local to pop round and advise you: 0845 1300 228

Any other questions? Ask them here and I’ll try to answer them.

Premier Icon Alphabet
    Subscriber

Thanks for all the help above. On that day we had a plumber in who was up in the loft in the morning and had left the loft hatch open all day so it’s possible it came into the house that way rather than the open window. I’ll check out the loft over the weekend and see if there are any signs up there. I’ll also have a read of that website and give the helpline a call if necessary.

I was planning to put up a bat box (or perhaps a few after reading that they move about depending on the season) in the trees rather than against the house. We live fairly rural so have plenty of trees and space around us. We also have some out buildings which I’ve checked but can’t see any evidence of bats, only a couple of old bird nests.

I’ll report back with any findings.

Dave

Look for small black/grey droppings, same size as mouse droppings. If they crumble in your fingers they’re not from mice. Not always noticeable in a lot in they’re using a cavity wall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bats in the house’ is closed to new replies.