Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Bathurst Arms, North Cerney, Cirencester – NOT bike friendly
  • richardk
    Free Member

Picture below is from Facebook timeline of the landlord of the Bathurst Arms in North Cerney, near Cirencester. Even though the British pub is generally an institution I fight to protect, this one won’t be getting any of my business.

http://www.bathurstarms.com/

[/url]
    Bathurst Arms, North Cerney by richardkenny, on Flickr[/img]

boxfish
    Free Member

Seems like he’s desperate for attention.

TooTall
    Free Member

I can’t even spot any irony or other potential ‘humour’ in there. Nasty man.

grum
    Free Member

Don’t feed the troll.

richardk
    Free Member

Bumpity bump.

Now reported to the police, and spreading on local websites and social media groups.

5thElefant
    Free Member

What’s the penalty wasting police time?

jekkyl

LOADS of cyclists need to turn up at his pub then when he’s serving us all & loving the business someone asks him about this and everyone stops talking to hear his answer!

MartynS
    jamj1974

He’s obviously a childish attention seeker. Don’t give him the benefit of attention.

Bez

He has, to be fair (ish), apologised, and in a more contrite manner than most. Not sure it fully excuses the original post, but maybe at least give him the benefit of the doubt rather than try and destroy his business via Tripadvisor, eh?

https://twitter.com/knobblytyres/status/356458546759602176/photo/1

hora
    Free Member

What was his thinking when he wrote that?

His mindset.

pingu66
    Free Member

Bollocks to the apology, I can see how he was trying to raise harmonious and safe road use.

He realises exactly what he is and that what he has said is in the public domain and has upset a great many people. Now he is simply tying to cover his arse and protect some of his business.

Maggot.

I also note he has 5 likes for his original post.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Good advertising really. Discourage cyclist who turn up muddy, sweaty and wearing lycra, and encourage Chelsea Tractor drivers who spend more money.

The guys got his marketing spot on.

MartynS

He has, to be fair (ish), apologised. Not sure it really excuses the original post, but maybe at least give him the benefit of the doubt rather than try and destroy his business via Tripadvisor, eh?
    https://twitter.com/knobblytyres/status/356458546759602176/photo/1

No, tough luck..
    Advocating hurting people.
    Deserves his business ruined..

roger_mellie

May be being as bit dense here, but I can’t find his facebook post?

charliedontsurf

Probably had to close his facebook account. Email will follow and might have to ignore the phone for a few days.

If he said a similar thing about immigrants, gays, or Muslims….. Well he couldn’t have said it or published it. There seems to be an odd “OKism” with joking about running down cyclists. I don’t tolerate it, I tell them about my dead friends.

andyl
    Free Member

thought the name of the pub was familiar. Went there a few years back when a friend was filming a DB5 for a car show. Lovely setting but was underwhelmed by the food.

You would think after that silly girl episode people would think better than say stupid things like this.

user-removed
    Free Member

FB page still up but no posts since Jan last year. I’d have plenty sympathy for anyone writing a warning on his trip advisor page. Social media has many downsides but situations like this emphasise the good bits…

I run a small business and professionalism in every area is incredibly important. Online, offline, whatever. The second you advocate murder in public, you deserve everything you get.

DavidB
    Free Member

Seems like he ranted on FB to friends, did not realise it was public and his apology does seem genuine. I live in the area so might pop in for a pint lycra’d up to see for myself. FFS we all make regrettable mistakes online it’s all got completely out of hand. You can say what you like in a pub and never get prosecuted and living in Swindon I’ve heard some pretty damned bad stuff said.

user-removed
    Free Member

DavidB, that’s nonsense. Everything you write on the internet is public.

DavidB
    Free Member

On facebook you can set privacy to show status to friends only or everyone.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

^^^ What does it matter if he meant to “give away” that he was advocating attacking cyclists using his car to the public or just say it to his friends?

If I lived nearby I’d be popping in to have a chat with him, friendly like, but pissed off fo’ sho’

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Looking at the Trip Advisor reviews, some of them (pre rant) sound like the place is pretty crap anyway…

mrmo
    Free Member

Looking at the Trip Advisor reviews, some of them (pre rant) sound like the place is pretty crap anyway…

been there a few times and food has always been good. I do always wonder about trip advisor, some of the supposided “hell holes” i have been to bear no relation to the reviews almost as if competition were trying to slander each other…

Bez

It’s uncannily as if people think they should go on Tripadvisor and submit fraudulent reviews to undermine someone’s business because they have a grudge.

user-removed
    Free Member

DavidB – Member
    On facebook you can set privacy to show status to friends only or everyone.

Aye, that worked well on this occasion… I do know how FB works and even though I’m on lockdown on my personal page, I’d never post anything I wouldn’t be willing for the world to see.

It’s a funny time we live in and some folk seem to be a bit slow cottoning on to the fact that once you write something online, it’s permanent and open for the world to see. Case in point: I used to belong to a huge, paid for wedding photographers’ forum (DWF). It was 100% closed unless you were a wedding photographer with a website and a proper business.

We all felt safe there and spoke freely about nightmare clients, album prices etc. About a month ago, the forum was sold. The new owners opened it up to Google and suddenly a lot of ‘private’ content was very public. Shitstorm!

bullandbladder
    Free Member

**** him – you get what you give.

ononeorange

+1 for Charlie the Bikemonger, above. His original post made a clear suggestion about intent to kill – 60 mph, anyone? Imagine saying that about for instance children playing – just try substituting the words in his post. It is utterly unforgiveable – how many cyclists have been killed this year? There is no priority right to life based on how much money you spend.

Benefit of the doubt, my ****.

molgrips
    Free Member

The new owners opened it up to Google and suddenly a lot of ‘private’ content was very public. Shitstorm!

😯

I can only imagine…

Bez

John Stevenson done A Thing on this.

http://road.cc/content/news/88111-pub-landlord-apologises-anti-cyclist-comments

Also there have been multiple reports of him staying up late personally emailing those who have contacted him, which doesn’t seem like the behaviour of someone who doesn’t give a shit. Maybe try having a conversation before sharpening the pitchfork?

pondo

Sounds like it was posted privately, but someone took a screenshot and it went viral (whatever that means). Doesn’t excuse it, but it wasn’t like the guy was just ranting at the public in general.

His statement –
    “The comments made on my private Facebook page were taken out of the closed circle for which they were intended by a third party and posted without my knowledge. I have the utmost respect for athletes of all disciplines and all road users.

“The anti cycling banter is between some cycling/triathlon friends with dodgy knees and me, an ultra runner. I met some of these guys doing the Marathon des Sables last year. I take athletic endeavour seriously. I stand ashamed and now corrected over the issue of road funding. I am sure that this ignorance annoys cyclists all the time.

“Everyone has a right to use our roads and with that right comes a responsibility to use them safely whatever your preferred method of transport.

“I know that there are those that will not forgive what has been written but I am very sorry for any upset that this has caused amongst the cycling community. It was never my intention. This was initially meant to be rival banter between runners and cyclists not cars and cyclists.

“I take full responsibility for what was written, just wish I had written it a little differently. A lesson in the power of social media learned. The hard way.”

http://road.cc/content/news/88111-pub-landlord-apologises-anti-cyclist-comments

crapjumper
    Free Member

GOBSHITE !!!

Mantastic
    Free Member

Interesting article and apology, some business owners just don’t appreciate the power of the web. Think before pressing enter as it could cost someone their lively hood.

qwerty
    Free Member

I’ve just seen it is now the complete front page news of local newspaper, really shot himself on the foot with that one.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Bathurst Arms, North Cerney, Cirencester – NOT bike friendly’ is closed to new replies.