• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Nico.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bathroom downlights
  • FuzzyWuzzy

About to finally start my bathroom refurb and trying to confirm choices for various bits and pieces, which downlights to get being one of them.

My only really requirement is I want them to be 240v/GU10 and Alexa-controllable (via my existing Hue Bridge) so I figure using Philips Hue GU10 bulbs will take care of that. Obviously bathroom ones (at least over the bath/shower) need to be IP65 but other than that there just seems to be a huge choice varying from £5-£100 per light. Presumably fire rated isn’t much of a concern in a bathroom setting?

I don’t mind spending extra for quality (assuming quality with downlights mostly comes down to the heat dissipation for improved bulb life and I guess the connectors?), would prefer a max of £25 for each casing though.

Some of them mention different colour temp options or that they’re dimmable but is that purely down to the bulb (which I’ll be replacing with the Philips Hue ones anyway, assuming I can’t get a good downlight casing on it’s own)?

Any recommendation for wattage for a bathroom setting? I’m thinking just go with a high rating anyway as can always dim?

somouk
    Free Member

Be careful with the Hue colour bulbs if you intend to use those as they are very deep so you need to make sure the cans will hold them and still seal.

I went with some from a local supplier that can just about hold the colour bulbs.

Fire rating will matter as they are meant to stop the fire spreading in to the roof void.

Also factor in some cost for covers for them if you have insulation in the loft that is directly above the bathroom lights.

richardkennerley

We just had our bathroom done. We got standard down lights, but also a light up mirror/cupboard and a Philips hue led strip along one wall. Between the strip and the cupboard light, we never ever use the down lights. The led strip alone is enough to light the room.

We have separate toilet which does have a GU10 hue bulb in with motion detector, it’s ace (frivolous, but ace!)

Greybeard
    Free Member

separate toilet which does have a GU10 hue bulb in with motion detector

There’s a certain ambiguity to a motion detector in a toilet…

Nico
    Free Member

There’s a certain ambiguity to a motion detector in a toilet…

LOLZ

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom downlights’ is closed to new replies.