Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Bathroom downlighters not switching on
  • DickBarton

I’m hoping to sort this so I can look all clever and earn some brownie points.

4 downlighters in main bathroom suddenly stopped turning on. When switch is activated the fan turns on but lights don’t.

Replaced all 4 with new bulbs and still not going on.

Trip switches haven’t been tripped in fuse box either.

What else can I check?

Thanks.

bearnecessities

One transformer running all four lights?*

*and has gone pop, obvs.

slackalice
    Free Member

Are they 12volt or reduced voltage lamps? If so, check the transformer.

kcal

+1 transformer – maybe thermal cutout but probably knacked.

phil5556

My mum’s stopped working, was a mouse.

But probably more likely the transformer if they’re low power

DickBarton

Ah ok…I’ll need to work out where that is. Next daft question, is it easy to swap in/out?

I’ll go Google transformers (lightbulbs in disguise!) and get an idea of cost as well.

Thanks for pointers.

stumpyjon

Yes if you can get to it. Just buy a replacement transformer with the same rating. Screwfix sell them.

DickBarton

Yeah, 12v downlighters, just need to find the transformer. Likely to be 1 or will each light have it?

No roof space so will look all over.

bearnecessities

If it is the transformer, there will likely just be one due to the fact they all went at once.

Pop some of the lights out and hopefully you’ll find it..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Start with the lamp closest to the switch. The switch supplies 240v to the transformer which then provides the 12v DC to the 4 lamps. So, you should find it after the switch and before the first lamp.

sharkbait
    Free Member

You could also swap the 4 to 240v GU10 (LEDs if they’re not already) which will run cooler and a damn site safer.
    I removed about 40 12v transformers in our house and the number that had melted cases/wires was truly horrific.

NZCol

^ what they said.

DickBarton

Found an access hatch but heehaw crawl space up there. Each of the 4 lights have a grey electric cable leaving them and going down a hole in the roof.
    No cables visible on underside of roof so I’m guessing that the cables run behind the wall inside the cavity (or whatever it is called, I’m sure the walls are plasterboard.

So no transformer up there. Only other place I can think of is behind the actual light switch…so will remove that and look.

Thanks for the pointers, I sense these brownie points are rapidly evaporating!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Bathroom downlighters not switching on’ is closed to new replies.