Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bastard tyres
  • wilsation
    Free Member

Has anyone tried fitting 29er Geax Saguaro tyres? spent two hours today trying to fit one to stans crest rim, eventually gave up and enlisted the help of another cyclist, finally fitted tyre after further 40mins and snapping five – yes five – tyre levers. these tyres got great reviews but no-one mentioned fitting nightmare.

discoduck
    Free Member

I could put something stupid about tyre sizes but i wont, What i will say tho is my 26″ wire beaded MAXXIS HR’s are the same

😈

My fingers ached for days after fitting those bastard things

Candodavid
    Free Member

Yep, also spent 2 hours here tonight too fighting with geax Saguaro.
    Going to share with a mate tomorrow night, get the ruddy thing on then 😈

Thread on MTBR about the same issue

Aidan
    Free Member

Tried that Saguaro/Crest combo once, and ended up taking the tyres back to the shop.

Not very helpful, but I feel your pain.

Kahurangi

If it’s that bad now, imagine how bad it will be when you’re on an exposed hilltop, in the wind and rain, trying to fit a new tube. Then you pinch puncture the tube fitting it and have to start again. Or you burp tubeless and can’t get it seated again with your trail pump. Then you get to the pub to find it’s closed and can’t phone for help. When you eventually get back to the car having thrown your bike in a hedge it won’t start and you have no mobile reception. Then when you get home your wife has been murdered and the kids enslaved…

Get rid now before it’s too late.

johnnystorm

Have you tried anything to lubricate the tyre/rim? I got a big tub of stuff from On-One, lovely smelling blue soapy paste. Makes slipping tyres on a doddle. 🙂

andycs

I must have the only pair of Sagauro TNT’s and Crest rims that fit together. Mine went on easy and inflated first time with track pump. 🙂

Candodavid
    Free Member

No one likes a smart ass^^

oldfart

Welcome to my nightmare ! Had the same problem with Crests and Maxxis Ardents . Wish I’d found out before I bought a new pair in Stifs sale ! 🙄

wwaswas

I must have the only pair of Sagauro TNT’s and Crest rims that fit together. Mine went on easy and inflated first time with track pump.

I did have to use a compressor but otherwise no problems here.

This was after spending 2.5 hours with 2 DH tyre levers fitting some Specialized Purgatory’s in a ‘you will not defeat me’ mood. And then realising that if I ever got a puncture I’d be walking home so having to remove them and fit the Geax’s.

I did find that getting the beads of the Geax’s right down int he well of the rim as key to fitting them easily. One went on with just thumbs, the other needed a tyre lever for the last bit on one bead.

globalti
    Free Member

TALC is the answer, the best natural dry lubricant for rubber know to Man.

I’ll say it again:

TALC, TALC, TALC, TALC, TALC!

Junkyard
    Free Member

If it’s that bad now, imagine how bad it will be when you’re on an exposed hilltop, in the wind and rain, trying to fit a new tube.

THIS

Every time I have struggled to fit a tyre this is what I think of and then remove it

roverpig

I struggled to get a Racing Ralph on a 29er Arch Ex rim. However, when it (inevitably) went flat on the trail I was pleased to find that it was a lot easier the second time. Now, a few weeks later, they pop on and off (tubeless now) with no problems. I guess they must stretch a bit in use.

dibboid
    Free Member

Then you get to the pub to find it’s closed 

This alone would put me off. Might try maxxis next after I wear out kill these conti’s.

But then again I have 26″ proper size wheels. 😀

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

pinch on a bit, zip tie in place, pinch on the next bit, zip tie in place etc etc
    oh and Pedros tyres levers and very delicate use of a BIG METAL LEVER!
    This has been my technique in the past for customers whom insisted (usually wheelchair owners TBH, both solid and tubed tyres)

As said above though; if it’s that bad getting on in the first place what about emergency fix?

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Ooh, handy post, I’ve just bought some Crests and was about to get some Saguaros. Now aborted.
    So what tyres fit the feckers?

scotroutes

Search STW and you’ll find lots of posts about folk having trouble fitting anything to Crest and Arch rims. Personally, I think it’s just bad technique,

slowboydickie

Lean tyre against radiator to soften and increase elasticity then smear a bit of lube on the troublesome bit of tyre.
    Works a treat on bastard nobby nic / crest combo.

dannyh
    Free Member

Yep, I can’t emphasise enough the ‘difficulty in the field’ issue. If they’re that much of a bastard at home with warm hands, tyre levers and time on your side, you really don’t want to use them for real.

You don’t want to have to walk home because of a puncture of all things.

My worst experiences have been DT Swiss rims with contis and panaracer. Steer clear of these combos also.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Done the talc thing, still no joy. FFS its only a tyre,

grilla
    Free Member

Make sure you watch the video about fitting tyres to stan’s rims

I spent some hours cursing to put Hans Dampf on Crests, then watched the video, used the drop channel and can now do straight away every time.

Candodavid
    Free Member

He’s using a slack Kenda not a tight as a ducks arse geax, see how smart the old bugger would be then.
    Bet he wouldn’t film that one with the language that I’ve been coming out with

patriotpro
    Free Member

Have nothing to add to the above but comments like

Lean tyre against radiator to soften and increase elasticity then smear a bit of lube on the troublesome bit of tyre.

always make me cringe…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bastard tyres’ is closed to new replies.