Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Bastard binmen
  • I was looking out of the window this morning and saw them empty our general waste bin (black if interested). I could see there was a bit of a kerfuffle in disengaging our bin from the lifter/tipper. Then it was released and dumped unceremoniously outside our drive SANS LID.
    Nobody knocked and said “sorry we’ve wrecked your bin but I’ll fill in a chitty and get a replacement.” How do they get away with this? Imagine performing in a similar manner in your job?

Bastids.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon Houns
    Subscriber

Imagine being in a job which is so timing/performance target based so you don’t have enough time to knock on the door

fasthaggis

https://www.facebook.com/bbccomedy/videos/296093331806192/

Sorry should have said ,a bit NSFW

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Bin men never give way and always park in the worst way possible.

The other day on my run I saw a bin lorry going my way down a narrow street and then another one heading towards them.

They are probably still there waiting for the other one to get out of the way.

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

And the best bit is you’ll have to pay for a replacement…

doris5000

I live on a one-way street and the bin lorry goes the wrong way down it every time. It’s just part of their route 😆

Premier Icon andy5390
    Subscriber

I put the bin out, to one side of the up + over garage door (so I can close it) leaving plenty room for them to manoeuvre the lorry up the lane

Every week, without fail, they leave it up against said door, so it gets knocked over when I raise the it to retrieve the empty bin.

EVERY, FU*KING. WEEK.

The recycling bin workers are annoying.

They are supposed to put all the recycling into the wagon. What they do instead is throw most of the recycling over the road and pavements. And why do they have to try and smash every glass bottle? Whats that all about?

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

I can beat you OP.

We had a broken wheelie bin for ages in our communal garden. Watched two council guys turn up a couple of weeks ago early in the morning, bring the wheelie bin out to their lorry, lift a couple of bags out of the top and throw them in the back of the lorry, they then looked around the street to make sure no one was watching, then tipped the bin upside down dumping the remaining unbagged rubbish onto the road. They then threw the broken bin into the back of the lorry, got in and drove off leaving the rubbish in the road.

Reported instantly to the council who did **** all

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Imagine being in a job which is so timing/performance target based so you don’t have enough time to knock on the door

More like so the old git who’s driving the lorry can get home ASAP.

fasthaggis

Bin men never give way and always park in the worst way possible.

A binman stepped off the back platform (without looking) on to the front wheel of my Ducati ,that was interesting.He went up in the air,my mate (pillion)somersaulted over me,landed on the street and caught the binman just before he hit the deck.We should have joined the circus.binman was fine. 🙂

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

A binman stepped off the back platform (without looking) on to the front wheel of my Ducati ,that was interesting.He went up in the air,my mate (pillion)somersaulted over me,landed on the street and caught the binman just before he hit the deck.We should have joined the circus.binman was fine

fasthaggis

Bob,how bloody dare you.
    I even left out the bit about my mate landing in dog shit.
    Even though my mate caught/stopped his fall ,the guy came down so fast that his head still hit a kerb and knocked him out.Ambulance took him away and I had to give a statement to the polis,I was only 19 and spent the rest of the day thinking I had maybe killed someone while my mate moaned about being scuffed up and smelling of dog shit 🙂

LeeW

Contrary to other posts, my binmen are great, all of them stand and wave to my 2 year old who gets stupidly excited when they’re here.

Yes they’re rushing around like hell but they’re helpful, polite and have taken all sorts of things the neighbours leave out next to the bins.

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Bob,how bloody dare you.

😆

Subscriber

and have taken all sorts of things the neighbours leave out next to the bins

Not two expensive bike locks by chance?

hoopyfrood

And why do they have to try and smash every glass bottle? Whats that all about?

Just guessing, but they’d get more bottles in if they’re smashed up.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper
    Subscriber

One of my (soon to be former) work colleagues has just got a job driving the local bin lorry. He says the pickers don’t give a toss about noise or putting the bins back in front of the right house as they know it’s job-and-finish. All they want to do is get home! They get paid regardless whether they do a good or crap job so just rush around. Of course being a council service no-one thinks to look at how quickly they get round their route and think that if they cut the number of lorries but made the lads (no female staff) work their full hours. If they did that suddenly things would be done slowly and correctly to prove that the work can’t be done by fewer lorries.

LeeW

dangeourbrain

Not two expensive bike locks by chance?

Didn’t see it, but heard they will take locked gates and inappropriate fencing. 🙂

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

On the flip side our binmen are also pretty good, return the bin, handle facing the property. Council replaced all 4 of my bins when I managed to burn them all down, only had to pay about £30.

Bin lorry drivers are also some of the most skilled drivers I’ve ever seen, amazing how accurate their reversing is, pin point onto a bin to minimise the effort of moving it. The flip side of them blocking the street is how often poor parking stops them getting through on residential streets.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

They have it so cushy. Back in the day they had to go up steep steps and into our garden to collect and then return our bin.

It was rusty and smelly.

I hope the binmen of yore look down on today’s pampered darlings.

They couldn’t even be bribed to take away my old shelving units. Thought Brexit was going to stop all that nonsense.

Wouldn’t want to be emptying all of the food waste bins on a day like today though.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

They don’t know what ‘rhetorical’ means.
    And they don’t care.

Subscriber

Council replaced all 4 of my bins when I managed to burn them all down, only had to pay about £30.

OK, that doesn’t get to pass with no explanation.

fasthaggis

Bob,Bruce Lee is still alive 🙂

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

😆

revs1972

Bin men never give way and always park in the worst way possible

The binman and the recycle lorry are regularly blocking the road outside the local primary school at prime time in the morning. If whoever planned their route had an ounce of sense, they would get them up there later in the morning after the rush hour

And why do they have to try and smash every glass bottle? Whats that all about?

surely thats the best bit. Got to see if you can smash the bottles when you take them to the bottle bank 😄

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Council replaced all 4 of my bins when I managed to burn them all down, only had to pay about £30.

OK, that doesn’t get to pass with no explanation.

I too need to know what happened here.

My next door neighbour caught them trying to pick up my motorbike they had just knocked over, they gave false details, luckily he took the reg number!

avdave2

Last week on the recycling our truck started eating a bin then decided to spit it out sans lid and it went flying back out of the truck somersaulting over my head as I ducked out of the way. I’ve only been doing it for the last 5 weeks while furloughed but not only have I been attacked by bins but I’ve had a bloody bee fly straight into my mouth and sting me right in the soft palette at the back of my throat. I know it was a bee because when we went back to tip our first load I looked in the mirror and could still see the sting in there. Once we finished I ended up having to go in the red zone at A&E while they put forceps down my throat to pull it out. That wasn’t too pleasant either!

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

Happened to me earlier on this year, both arms of the hinge on the lid snapped off. I was going to report it but apathy set in and I never quite got around to it.

The next collection day, the loose lid disappeared. I figured, ho hum. if the council wanted to empty a bin filled with 240L of water every month then that’s their lookout.

The next collection after that, it’d been repaired.

project

Refuse collection staff do an excellent job every day in all weathers, the drivers have reversing skills we nmere mortals can only dream of,so they brole the lid accidently on a council provided bin, just ring the council and explain th problem and a nice person will redeliver a brand new or previously owned bin to your house quite quickly.

2 things i should mention where work sometimes are a lot of one way streets, and you get stuck behind a rear loading refuse collection vehicle, and the refuse collectors will have numerous black bags to collect and throw into the lgv, i jump out of van and help them along. They seem quite amazed somebody is helping them

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Subscriber

Dangourbrain emptied the fire pit contents into the bin and went out. It was 12 hours after we’d finished. Normally the ashes would be cold, didnt check the middle and I’d been burning an old hard outdoor table instead of softwood so it burnt hotter and longer after I went bed. Got a call from the neighbours who luckily put it out before the fire brigade got there. I came home to find 3 wheelie bins gone, just a puddle of plastic with tyres and axle sticking out and 2 more melted into very weird shapes. Fire brigade were pretty good, even though it was out they broke into the garage to check it wasn’t in the roof, luckily it wasn’t but I think it was a close thing. Fire brigade snapped the euro lock cylinder to get in, then replaced the lock with a new one. Needless to say I’ve just replaced all the house locks with Avocet mk3 locks which cost me near enough £250 but at least they are secure and all use the same key.

I always drench any ashes now before putting them in the bin. Felt slightly better when one of the firemen said his wife had done the same, twice.

Premier Icon peekay
    Subscriber

Our bin men are so lazy.

I’ve only ever seen them work one day a week.

avdave2

I always drench any ashes now before putting them in the bin.

I forgot to mention the burning eyes to go along with bin and bee attacks. Anyone who thinks it’s a good idea to put ash in the bin that’s not bagged needs to get a face full of it to fully appreciate just how unpleasant it is. And if you could just take one moment to rinse out your bottles and cans it would be nice not to be soaked with stale beer and wine every day. and hers a surprise for you, refuse and recycling collectors would really like it if you could maybe find a bag for that soiled nappy rather than just leave it on the lid of the bin. And maybe when you do go past the truck we have to work from both sides something a little less than driving with your foot flat to the floor would be appreciated.

But for all those that don’t think we are worthy of any consideration at all their are those that have left out cold drinks for us and even brought out ice lollies. Not to mention the sparkling wine one woman had left from a bbq so decided to share with us as we recycled those bottles that had been drunk. If you want to see the worst and best in people it’s a good place to do it.

Premier Icon stevious
    Subscriber

Our bin men are great and they always wave and say hello to my son when he runs out of the house at bin lorry time.

Premier Icon sparksmcguff
    Subscriber

Got a lot of respect for people who work on the bin lorries. The folks round our way do a great job and I’m grateful for it.

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

I believe bernard wrigley has it nailed

https://bernardwrigley.bandcamp.com/track/the-binman-song

Premier Icon Watty
    Subscriber

Got a lot of respect for people who work on the bin lorries. The folks round our way do a great job and I’m grateful for it.

Ditto 👍

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.