• This topic has 27 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by llama.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Basic daily stretches/yoga for a seizing 30 something?
  • core

I’ve had a search and seen the Abi Carver stuff, 30 day yoga challenges etc, but honestly I’m not wanting to get in to yoga or spend 30 mins a day watching youtube videos, at the moment…

So can anyone point me in the direction of something I could do for maybe 5 – 15 minutes of a morning to try and regain (then retain) flexibility and stave off some developing lower back pain?

kid.a
    Free Member

Also interested in stretching tips for cyclists. I’m about as flexible as a plank of wood, and now old to boot (40)!

pandhandj
    Free Member

bookmarked… except i’m quickly approaching 50!

edit – knees are very stiff and weak – too much skateboarding in the 80’s!

ofked
    Free Member

You could check out Matt Mooney’s MTB Fitness. The stretches in his 12 week programme work well for me and take about 10 mins. He’s got a fair amount for free on YouTube too

Houns

Tick

franksinatra

Also interested in this. I’ve always had appalling flexibility. I’m over 40 now and with a history of bad back I really need to build stretching in to my routine

brads
    Free Member

I just amazed that anyone thinks 40 is old. 😂

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’ve been doing this one and its made a noticable difference. Knock off the resting pose at the end and its around 12mins

href=”https://www.pinkbike.com/video/464232/”

franksinatra

That one is very watchable

sandwicheater

Bookmarked for later.

cobrakai

My wife pointed me towards Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. Highly recommend it.

As I was suffering from lower back pain (tight ham strings) I followed her lower back pain ones. Theres 2. 1 is 15min and the other was 30min.

Really improved my flexibility.

MoreCashThanDash

I like this one – simple, quick and the upper body bits help with aches from working on a laptop at home too

sharkbait
    Free Member

FFS! If you’re seizing in your 30’s then you’re screwed – wait until you’re approaching the wrong end of your 50’s!

thenorthwind

I know you’ve said you’ve seen the Abi Carver yoga videos but I honestly think they’re worth another look. You don’t have to get “into” yoga – they’re just 15 minute stretching videos. As above, leave out the couple of minutes lying on your back “meditating” at the end if you want. I’ve been doing one most mornings (though I go through phases of doing it religiously then forgetting about it) for a few years now.

I’m also early 30s and have had lower back pain from riding. Recently I’ve mixed it up with some 15 minute HIIT (-ish) sessions to try and build more strength. I use the “Group HIIT” videos on Youtube.

geomickb
    Free Member

I use an app called an app called Down Dog, you can choose the duration:

https://www.downdogapp.com/

ctk
    Free Member

Stretch your quads while brushing your teeth. Face away from bath and rest top of your foot on the bath and stretch in a lunge. Good for cyclists.

asbrooks

I do some yoga, my wife teaches some Ashtanga which she has me doing on occasion. I actually enjoy it. But shush don’t tell her that.

I find the the opening sequences pretty good for lower back stiffness. Surya Namaskara A & B, They have everything you need and even B is good for tight hips. The idea it is a dynamic flow of 5 sets of each and can be done in 5-10 minutes.

If you need/want some twists you can do the usual lying on the floor exercise afterwards.

kayla1
    Free Member

I do this very basic routine that’s a about 15 minutes long a few times a week-

Her voice is a little perky but it’s a useful video, I find it helps with stiffness in my lower back. I also find that getting up out of the seat and singlespeeding (not necessarily on a singlespeed) for a bit during rides frees things up too.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’m not an expert but ….

From what I’ve been told, by physios, if you have lower back pain it’s likely the muscles above and below that are tight. Ham strings, quads, hip flexors, middle and upper back. Look for exercises/stretches that work on those areas, be careful following some of the online videos that may work or stress the back and put more tension in that area. I’d say it’s important to relax (the meditation bit) a bit at the end, it helps to relax the muscles before you start moving as you have just stressed them, just a few minutes helps.

I’m suffering a lot at the moment with all of the above but I’m 53 so maybe I should consider myself lucky as some have said they’re suffering in their 30s and 40s! I was in tears this morning with it, just really fed up with it rather than the pain. Riding has become difficult as I seem to be in a catch 22 thing at the moment, if I ride my muscles get tight the next day which leads to back pain which means I can’t ride, that’s even with a lot of stretching. I tend to go for it when I ride and it’s hard to keep it slow as my head is riding like a 30 year old but my body is reacting like a 70 year old.

asbrooks

I’m 53

Snap.! I have suffered over the years with sciatic. I spend my day sat in an office chair, I could usually tell when I was getting a flare up probably once or twice a year for the last 8 years or so. Since doing yoga I no longer get it, admittedly I’ve only been doing the yoga stuff for two years but I haven’t had a problem.

Mugboo

Another vote for Adrienne on YouTube, she has a cycling one but they are all good. Me and the wife had a couple of sessions with a Yoga coach first which helped me with the basics.

Prior to that we tried a class but it was like being asked to ride a double black trail before a blue, without the danger..

thenorthwind

From what I’ve been told, by physios, if you have lower back pain it’s likely the muscles above and below that are tight. Ham strings, quads, hip flexors, middle and upper back.

Also not an expert, but this is my understanding too. My physio has told me that my lower back, hip, and knee complaints have all been brought on by my glutes not pulling their weight, and putting unnecessary stress on other muscles. Apparently they need to be “activated” before/during rides using donkey kicks and the like. Seems to have worked so far.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Stretching is a waste of time, most back pain is caused by hip misalignment which in turn is caused by muscle imbalances.
    Try putting your arms directly over your head chest down and don’t push your hips forward, now squat below parallel. If you can’t do it, try every day until you can.
    This is a powerful exercise, but no one will do it because it’s too difficult and difficult means it works.

chestrockwell

I used to go to various gym classes before lockdown but then when the gym shut I focussed on bike riding. It was ace and I’m more ‘bike fit’ than I have been for years but was getting pain in my hamstrings, glutes, lower back etc.

Gym reopened so I started the classes again and they almost killed me! Turns out you can’t just ride your bike, you need to focus on core as well. Couple of weeks in and starting to loosen off so I’d recommend some Core/HIIT classes as well as stretches.

Earl
    Free Member

Twinw4ll – got a link to what that look like? Don’t push hips forward???

sirromj

leave out the couple of minutes lying on your back “meditating” at the end if you want.

That’s the best **** bit! Seriously! It’s good way to start too. It’s relaxing your body’s muscles. Every single one of them. It’s not the same as laying on your bed which is nice soft and squidgy (perhaps?) etc. It’s letting go of habitual ways you hold yourself against discomfort. If you can’t enjoy that then you need to chill out more!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Yep, I’m doing the donkey kick things too due to weak glutes, and my physio said the same thing about the hip misalignment due to tight hams, quads, hips and weak core etc.

It seems that just riding a bike for the last 10 years or so isn’t so good for me – used to do a bit of gym and swimming before that.

twinw4ll – also interested if you’ve got a link, photos to that just to make sure I’d be doing the right thing?

llama

I find the the opening sequences pretty good for lower back stiffness. Surya Namaskara A & B, They have everything you need and even B is good for tight hips. The idea it is a dynamic flow of 5 sets of each and can be done in 5-10 minutes.

Pretty much what I do for a morning fix plus some longer forward bends and twists, then 10 mins corpse/savasana/lying-on-the-floor

I don’t have the motivation for youtube / apps or even a book, I prefer a class because once I’ve paid/booked it then I have to go. So being stw, that is what I would recommend. They will make sure you are doing it right and can adapt stuff to your ability. It will be 80% middle aged women and you will perceive that they are judging your yoga crapness, but really nobody cares.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Basic daily stretches/yoga for a seizing 30 something?’ is closed to new replies.