Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • bashguard chainguide tips
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

currently use a little one up chainguide (iscg mounted), but have been bending chainrings a fair bit recently. Anyone recommend and combined bash and chainguide please. cheap is good

kayak23

Have you got a narrow-wide chainring on?

I’ve not used a chainguide for several years now since I went N/W.

Can count the number of times I’ve dropped a chain on one hand (0- 4 1/2 as I have half a little finger)

Before I went N/W I used one of these Blackspire Trail X guides. Excellent piece of kit with an integrated bash plate to protect your chainring.

kiwijohn

One up of course.

a11y

What kayak23 says. I no longer use a chain guide but when I did that Blackspire one was superb.

I now use a Blackspire Crusher which is basically the same minus the top guide. I like having bash protection and used it heavily last week, making a mess of the bash part. Saved my chainring though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes narrow wide . very rarely drop chains but have done once on twice when racing.  mostly drop them after i’ve smashed the chainring 🙂

one up was the one i was looking at, just wondering if there were others out there

chakaping
    Free Member

Got an E13 TRS guide of some sort that came on my new bike.

Works fine and bash bit has seen some action already, thanks to the bike’s slightly too low BB.

Kamakazie

Unite components one looks good and made over here if that makes a difference.
    Not cheap but in line with OneUp and cheaper than the E13 ones I’ve seen.

joebristol

I’ve got the oneup combined top
    Guide and bashguard on both of my bikes. I’m pretty sure I’ve bashed the guard on the full suss into a rock several times actually on more technical uphills. Not too expensive and looks neat.

The MrP one looks good too but when I bought one to go on my hardtail the backplate wouldn’t clear the chainstays whilst bolting onto the iscg mounts. One up one fits perfectly.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve got an E13 one, it actually works really well. I was going to say its the only E13 thing I’ve ever owned that hasn’t been dogwank and broken in some way, and then I remembered that the top guide part of it kept coming loose and lost half the guide mid race, so I had to buy a new one, which, strangely, was redesigned…

So, anyways, after that – E13 TRS one now actually seems to be pretty good. Even when casing big doubles hard.

*Pro Tip – don’t be an E13 Beta tester. Always wait for at least v2 of the product you are after, as they’ll invariably redesign it at least once because the first version was crap.

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, yes I had the old version too and had to glue the top guide together to solve the design fault.

New one is decent and I’m not a fan of E13 stuff usually either.

1timmy1
    Free Member

I have the one up top guide and bash and it’s excellent. Bashed it a few times and it’s fine. It’s a pity you can’t just buy the bash guard and add it onto the top guide. If you want cheap then:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FSJOBCDEN/jobsworth-enduro-chain-device

No idea how good it is though.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hells bells that is cheap

slimboyjim
    Free Member

I’ve got an mrp sxg. It has upper and lower guides with the bash guard and works well. I use mine with an oval ring with no issues if that matters to you. You can get a slightly lighter carbon back if you are feeling like throwing away a massive amount of money for a few grams saving.
    All bash guards are pricey for what they are though, although if it saves a few chain rings then it’s probably a worthy investment.

chakaping
    Free Member

The PX thingy looks alright but note…

Designed to work with 32-36T chainrings

jimplops

I’ve got an mrp sxg sat doing nothing, never been used bar setting the gears up when I first got my bike, so practically new, make me an offer if interested.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘bashguard chainguide tips’ is closed to new replies.