Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Basementtrackworld- Putting a ceiling onto floor joists?
  • tenacious_doug
    Free Member

New house has a basement, it has a plasterboard ceiling that has been fixed to the floor joists of the room above. This looks nice and tidy but in looking at information on insulating the floor from below, there’s some chat about not attaching anything to the bottom of joists on a suspended floor that might impede air movement as it could lead to rotten joists. In this case the air bricks are still there and the ceiling does not go all the way to the wall, so air can still get into the joists lengthways, but can go across the joists. Do you reckon this setup is fine, or is there a risk of the joists not getting the airflow they need in this layout?

jeffl

Not an expert. But on your ground floor the plasterboard ceiling is attached to the floor joists above. Only issue I could see us if the cellar is very cold and condensation. But just insulate between the joists to ensure the dew point is not too low. Even that is probably overthinking it.

dyna-ti

I’ve done to basement house conversions of this – Big basements of Glasgow tenements turned into flats.

As sound proofing first we used Quietex deadening

First ran strapping between each joist to support osb board, 2″ depth of quietex, and placed it quite high up between the joists.

Then between that and the gyproc we put glass wool for insulation.

Ceilings I seem to remember need 1 hour fire protection, which meant double sheeted gyproc, then plaster skimmed over the top

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.