Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Baselayers
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

For summer riding..
    What’s good?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

to achieve what effect? Tend to only use a normal riding top in Summer (and nice winter days)

scotroutes

Rab Aeon is ultra-lightweight and wicks well. I tend to use them in all weathers as I feel drier. They do long and short sleeved versions.

matt_outandabout

I still love my Patagonia tops for summer – they do some plain ones and the running ones with zips in.

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t get sucked into the merino hype – it’s expensive, and doesn’t wick that well.

Most important thing is that it’s skin tight all over.

cinnamon_girl

I like my Berghaus base layers, they cope with my excessive sweating.

rocketman
    Free Member

Sleeveless offerings from Craft and One Ten

Cougar

I use whatever’s on offer at Go Outdoors. Will I die?

ton

north face bamboo stuff here. buy 1 get 1 half price.

househusband

Don’t get sucked into the merino hype – it’s expensive, and doesn’t wick that well.

Agreed… I did several years ago and now have loads of merino that I seldom wear!

Got one of these and quite happy for all of £12!

https://www.alpkit.com/products/koulin-technical-baselayer-top-mens

CheesybeanZ

I use Craft ones and I can generate more body heat that the sun in winter or summer , no smell or staining and they wash and dry well .

hatter

For intense efforts and hot days I’d agree that merino isn’t ideal, bloody live in the stuff when it’s cold though.

When it’s hot I have a few of the sleeveless Craft ‘string vest’ jobbies which work well but I recently got a Pearl Izumi transfer lite that seems to work even better, used it over in the states recently in 39 degree heat and absurd humidity and whilst it wasn’t a pretty sight seemed to help hugely in getting the sweat off me.

andycs

Endura Trans Rib.

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Basic Berghaus tech t-shirts for me. Cheap, light, breathable.

lunge

I wear the Decathlon Kipsta stuff in the summer, I think it’s their football range. It wicks well, dries quickly and fits very snugly too. And they’re well under £10.

For winter usage, the Nike or UnderArmour stuff they sell in Sports Direct is as good as anything.

brakes
    Free Member

the Rapha pro team sleeveless base layers are really good for warm weather. the fit and feel are outstanding.
    they’re not cheap but I managed to get one with a group buy for £36 (20% off if you buy 3).
    I also have a Craft sleeveless one which is similar and cheaper but still good.
    Merino is for winter.

nickc

You know, I’ve never found a jersey that doesn’t sweat where a rucksack touches it, so I’d say that if you use a camelbac or similar “wicking” pretty much goes out the window so you may as well head for comfort, and generally merino is comfier. I generally ride in a Baa Baa.

roryo07
    Free Member

The standard Base layer shirt from Gore wicks really well. Would definitely recommend http://www.tgstore.co.uk/base-layer-shirt-p-3188.html

bikebouy
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

Most important thing is that it’s skin tight all over.

Erm, almost my POV too.. Merino is a bit of a “suck and sag” item that I’m moving away from. I have about 6 rapha v neck merino t/baselayers that are really now just worn as t-shirts because in the main they are a bit spongelike. I do wear them if it’s cold <10C and sometimes on the top of a manmade mixed one as another layer, but no not really now.
    In summer I have a couple of manmade rapha ones and quite a few from the M&S thermal section which are utterly brilliant items and these form the basis of all my baselayers, cheap too.

So, Merino, no not really anymore..

molgrips
    Free Member

I also wore the back out of my Icebreaker one after ooh.. five or so winters, where my camelbak sits. Ok so it was a fair bit of riding, but none of the rest of my kit has ever gone through like that.

The £6 reduced base layers from Mountain Warehouse are astonishingly WAY better than the £60 Icebreaker. I was quite surprised acutually – I put one on for the first time and felt instantly cooler as it wicked so well.

so I’d say that if you use a camelbac or similar “wicking” pretty much goes out the window

Well no, the camelbak only covers a small oblong on your back – the rest of you can still be dry. With merino, you’re soggy all over. Warm though, granted – and I did use merino more in cold weather.

dragon
    Free Member

Helly Hansen Dry Fit are fine IMO, never had issues others do with them smelling.

Merino is fine for walking (especially as a mid-layer) and apparently is very good for water sports stuff where it stays warm-ish even when soaked, but for cycling its rubbish.

brakes
    Free Member

Merino will draw the moisture away from your skin but then it’s no good if there’s something acting as a barrier to that moisture escaping – like a jacket.
    I find the problem with it is when you stop and it’s still wet. Then you get cold.

bikebouy
    Free Member

dragon – Member
    Helly Hansen Dry Fit

Ahhh yes of course, the “smelly Helly” 😆

#wotapong

nickc

Well no, the camelbak only covers a small oblong on your back – the rest of you can still be dry. With merino, you’re soggy all over.

that’s what I said, that the tee will get wet where the rucksack “touches it” I’ ve never been “soggy all over” with merino, but we’re all different I suppose.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ ve never been “soggy all over” with merino

You may be one of those people who don’t sweat a lot.. won’t matter much what you wear 🙂

nickc

Yeah, I don’t think I am really!

lucky I guess

molgrips
    Free Member

Especially when it comes to sunglasses.. I bet you can wear them all ride and not have to wipe.. like my mate Nigel.. jammy sod.

nickc

molly, yeah they steam up a bit in the corners occasionally, but that’ll disappear once I start going again.

Basil

Patagonia Merino. Does as advertised ,and lasts longer in the silkweight 1 version with the addition of capilene.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers all.
    I provably should’ve said I was after the string vest type..
    Apologies.
    Still, probikekit are doing a deal on Castelli so I’ll be getting a boat load of ’em.

wilburt
    Free Member

good choice, do the job right and get yourself proper cycling ones they are closer fitting, longer and IME much nicer to wear under a jersey.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Baselayers’ is closed to new replies.