Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Barrys Sidings. need some info….
  • robw1
    Free Member

So we are looking at a day out to Barrys Sidings. Is it a way marked place that its possible to just rick up to and ride or do you need some local knowledge? IS it worth it over riding somewhere like Cwm Carn if we arent riding with someone who knows the area?

chakaping
    Free Member

I went there by myself and used Trailforks, as well as chatting to other riders.

It’s a bit confusing at first and there’s loads of stuff to choose from (not all on TF), also it’s mostly on the more technical side of things. Way harder than Cwmcarn trail centre, and still harder than a lot of the off-piste at Cwmcarn/Risca (if that’s what you meant).

robw1
    Free Member

Cheers Chakaping. I reckon its just a rock up and explore day then!!

adamf2016
    Free Member

We rode Barry Sidings September this year for the first time. We used Trail Forks after one of the group suggested it and then went home early after a crash the day before. We went expecting much but we were not disappointed!
    Rode the fire roads up to Coal Dump and started there riding back down to the fire road.
    Then rode back up a bit to Charlie Horse and took that down.
    Then we stuck around the middle and had a few goes at Mates Race and Hand Built and some other not on Trail Forks if I recall, before winding our way back down to the bottom at the end of the day.
    It was a great days riding, I look forward to going back! We hardly scratched the surface of what is there having done more research since we returned.
    Friendly bike shop and nice cafe too!

ogri
    Free Member

The trails are not difficult to find as the entrances are clearly defined its just trying to link them in the most efficient manner to get the most out of your day.

prezet
    Free Member

Went there for the first time this year. At first we thought we’d got the wrong place as the car park feels like it’s just for the park. But after we saw a few other riders disappear into the tree lines we assumed we had the right place. As others have said it’s pretty easy to find your way up. We went there when the temp was 30+ and was a hot slog up!

Was good fun though, pretty steep in places as I recall – the first blue we looked at seemed to ride along a ridge and then drop in. We decided the reds actually looked safer!

The cafe did a great loaded fries for lunch.

therag
    Free Member

It’s my local, I can give you a tour if needed, just drop me a msg, ghorsnell@icloud.com
    There are loads of trails, all unofficial (apart from 2 pump tracks) and quite steep and technical in parts, flowy in others, but all great fun. Top half of the mountain is the steepest.
    Must do Trails inc.
    Welsh gold
    Quarry track
    Black gold
    Rosser3
    Dark passage

v7fmp

i echo the others…. its bloomin great! Went for the first time a month or so ago. So many trails and pretty much all bangers!

its about 3.5 miles to the top via the fire road, but its worth the effort. As mentioned, its pretty steep and technical in places, so if thats your jam (it is mine) then be prepared for a great day out.

Bike shop is worth a look and the cafe is decent too.

A great day out… enjoy!

Akers

A fair few of the trails now have signs at the start. You can navigate and find many of the trails with either Trailforks or Strava Segments. The quick way to the top is a push/carry, but worth it. Add ‘Scary Mary’ to that list of Must Do trails.

therag
    Free Member

Akers, most visitors I see there go looking for Scary Mary and love it, I’ve only rode it once, none of the regulars that I know ever ride that trail.
    Frankenstein instead every time for me on that part of the mountain.

Mugboo

Thread resurrection!

We are down at BPW in July and fancy a trip to Barry Sidings.

I’ve made a note of the information above, has anything changed?

And if they are the trails to do, which trails are best avoided?

stevede
    Free Member

I was there the other week mate, it’s really really good, you’ll love it. It’s fairly easy to follow your nose and ask the locals, there are trails everywhere on the hill.
    Trails not to be missed:

Welsh gold

black gold

rosser 1

rosser 2

Dark passage

Scary Mary

I’m sure there are loads of others that I rode that were awesome, some lead into others. Those above are just the ones I remember that were decent. Steep, tech – the locals have done a superb job.

Mugboo

Thanks Steve, no doubt you are putting all that training to good use and killing it on bikes again…

We are doing Dyfi followed by BPW so will no doubt be a bit tired by day 3 but we’ll give it a good go.

DrP

What day are you in BPW chap?

I’m heading there July 26th…. Currently billy no mates!

DrP

Mugboo

Sorry Doc, we are there on Friday 14th.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d offer to ride with you DrP but I’m on holiday.

ctrl
    Free Member

Not much has changed from the above, and won’t make much difference if you’ve not been before but a lot of the trails now have gap jumps or the existing jumps have been built up. There’s a new drop on Welsh Gold too. You can go around most features but just to be aware.

Few new lines too but it’s really one of those places where you can just pick a run and have fun and explore. Enjoy.

molgrips
    Free Member

I want to go, just need to make sure I’m not going to die. Hopefully it’s all rollable or avoidable on the first run.

Mugboo

I’ve spent a bit of time looking at trail forks. To access Rossers and Welsh Gold it looks like a long pedal around the back of the summit or is there a different way back up?

ctrl – please can I have a bit more info on these gap jumps? Are they huge do or die or nice floaty natural trail speed?

Akers

@Mugboo there is a trail on Trailforks named the Killer that crosses Rossers Descent. It’s marked as downhill, but that’s the way we’ve always gone up, same as everyone else we’ve ever seen riding at Barry’s. Never seen anyone ride down it.

Mugboo

Thanks @Akers 🙂

stevede
    Free Member

Yeah as above mate, there is the long way around following the fireroad up and around the back which is a steady pedal and then there’s the bridleway that crosses rossers which you can push up (or ride on an eeb), to get to the bottom of the bridleway you cut into the bottom of the woods straight on as the fireroad goes round to the left, it a few track endings in on the left. The bridleway literally brings you out at the top of Welsh gold, with black gold being in close proximity and rossers tracks being down the fireroad a bit – Rosser 1 has a sign for it nailed to a tree just off the fireroad.

stevede
    Free Member

As for gap jumps – I went with a few mates who aren’t really senders and they managed to ride around everything they didn’t fancy without any issue or loss of flow. There is nothing on the hill that is massive, most gaps are just a cheeky pull, one or two bike lengths in size and easy at trail speed. The new drop on welsh gold is pretty obvious and you can ride around it if you don’t fancy a head nodding drop to flat 🙂 it is fun though.

Mugboo

Wonderful, thank you, knowledge is power n all that.

It will be a weekend so no doubt plenty of riders to ask on the day.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.