• This topic has 57 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Battle of Britain, 5 Spike, now! Brexiteers Unite!
  • forzafkawi
    Free Member

The UK just did not suffer enough in WW2 .

OH, MY, GOD! Hands up who voted remain and agrees with this absolute bollocks? I agree, it is way too easy to spout complete gibberish and not be called out for it.

I do agree though, attitudes would have been very different if we had been invaded by the Germans, especially in the Jewish community. On the positive side there would have been no EU so not all bad…

finishthat
    Free Member

I rest my case.

tomhoward

On the positive side there would have been no EU so not all bad…

Nazi Germany was better than the EU currently is. Right. Shall we end it there?

dovebiker

My SIL, aged 58 managed to bring up the subject of the second world war and the empire when we announced we’re going to move to Scotland to escape the divisions and spitefulness of Brexit. Apparently racism and anti-immigration sentiment is rife in South Africa too and bears shit in the woods…

Cougar

I think the fact that Germany started not one but two World wars within living memory may have something to do with our inherrant distrust of them.

Within living memory? 1914? Do you know many 110-year olds? Jesus christ, you’re going to shit yourself when you find out what Rome did in the first few centuries AD.

Remind me, how many European wars has there been since the formation of the EC/EU?

I like the French, Germans and Poles etc. a whole lot better that you lot. But you just don’t want to admit that to yourselves do you? Much easier to label people like me as a racist bigots who can’t stand foreigners to justify your own one-sided view of the World.

You “inherently distrust” the Germans for the actions of their government over 70 years ago. But you’re not racist. Pick one and let us know which it is would you, we’ll wait.

We freely travel to foreign countries and spend money there, drive foreign cars and some even own properties in other European countries.

… because we’re a member of the EU and that’s one of the (many) benefits that you wish to take from us.

The reasons for voting Leave are also varied as far as I can tell just as I am sure the myriad of reasons for voting Remain were.

What was yours?

Cougar

… plus, y’know, there was the whole “British Empire” thing. Do you think it’s fair for half of the world to “inherently distrust” us?

alanl
    Free Member

move to Scotland to escape the divisions and spitefulness of Brexit.

But then you’ll be swapping Brexit for the leaving the Union divisions, and the bitterness that caused last time, and there is still a lot of sectarianism, especially around Greater Glasgow.
    The grass isnt always greener.

slowoldman

That’s what gets me about the remainer attitude or at least the majority which seem to be expressed on here and other social media. You think that we all subscribe to one mind-think and that we just hate foreigners are and are mindless bigots that want nothing to do with the rest of the World.

Whereas your personal reason for wanting out of the EU is?

forzafkawi
    Free Member

tomhoward

Nazi Germany was better than the EU currently is. Right. Shall we end it there?

Do you seriously think that? You must be a bit touched.

tinybits
    Free Member

Bloody hell, I thought I’d tap into a thread and say I like the film as well – this place is even worse now than when Fred / Elfinsafety / who bloody ever was in full song.
    Time to flounce!

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Cougar and slowoldman – I’m sorry you can’t be arsed to read the whole thread just as I’m sorry I can’t be arsed to repeat myself.

athgray
    Free Member

Cougar and slowoldman – I’m sorry you can’t be arsed to read the whole thread just as I’m sorry I can’t be arsed to repeat myself.

I have read it, and you clearly say that you are open to the world, as are many brexit supporters, who are misunderstood by remainers, however the only salient point in defense of your argument is that during your extensive travels you have found remainers are blinkered to the UK’s older generations mistrust of Germans for starting two world wars apparently within living memory.

Have I got that right?

dovebiker

But then you’ll be swapping Brexit for the leaving the Union divisions, and the bitterness that caused last time, and there is still a lot of sectarianism, especially around Greater Glasgow.
    The grass isnt always greener.

I grew up in Glasgow in the 70s, I got to watch running street battles outside my grandmother’s house when there was a big game at Hampden Park, one street away and my mother was a teacher in Govan – I’m pretty familiar with the sectarianism and won’t be moving to the city.

El-bent
    Free Member

What was yours?

Quite possibly one of thatchers children, the type of total free marketeer who wants to open up the UK to the world so little britain will then get its a*se handed to it on a plate by the likes of the USA, China and the EU when it comes to getting deals, the type that will sell anything to anyone that wasn’t bolted down. Where the the now prime minister said f*ck business, and the only real service we will be offering is the London rinsing service for all that Russian money.

But being a typical brexiter, he knows that that sort of stuff doesn’t win referendums, so let’s concentrate on the foreigner issue to barely win it, like he is attempting here.

Make no mistake this isn’t going away because you won, once this country has been messed up by the consequences of brexit, it will be our turn.

tomhoward

Do you seriously think that? You must be a bit touched.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

athgray

I have read it, and you clearly say that you are open to the world, as are many brexit supporters, who are misunderstood by remainers, however the only salient point in defense of your argument is that during your extensive travels you have found remainers are blinkered to the UK’s older generations mistrust of Germans for starting two world wars apparently within living memory.

Have I got that right?

I’m not sure I put it quite that starkly and have already apologised for over-exaggerating the depth of the mistrust of the Germans. My argument is that there is still a large number of people who were either alive during the war (not old enough to be combatants) or who were directly related to adults who experienced that period (which I was). I don’t think that feeling is going to go away any time soon with the amount of documentaries and films that are continually broadcast which was the whole point of this thread in the first place as far as I can see.

I don’t mistrust the Germans other than I don’t agree with their policies within the EU which is why I voted out.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

El-bent

Make no mistake this isn’t going away because you won, once this country has been messed up by the consequences of brexit, it will be our turn.

That’s what cracks me up about you guys, you are all so certain you know what’s what but you didn’t see Brexit coming and you didn’t see Boris either did you?

I don’t know how it’s going to turn out but there’s one thing I do know – you have no idea either even though you think you do.

kimbers

I don’t know how it’s going to turn out but there’s one thing I do know – you have no idea either even though you think you do.

Well it’s poisoned & divided the country try so far, cost £bns & £bns while homelessness, child poverty & inequality have all increased….

So far it’s been a farce,& we’ve got another 10 years of these negotiations to go

Is this why brexiteers are all so angry?, it’s been a disaster so far & secretly they know that remoaners will continue mocking them?

athgray
    Free Member

My argument is that there is still a large number of people who were either alive during the war (not old enough to be combatants) or who were directly related to adults who experienced that period (which I was).

My Grandad, was an infantryman in Africa. He was captured at Tobruk and spent 3 years in a POW camp.

More recently, the mum of one of my sons best friends at school is from Germany. He was born in Scotland but proud of his German roots. His mum is here due to the freedom of movement allowed by EU membership. Chatting to her about her families memories of the war, you find out the suffering they endured was very similar to that of my and most families in this country.

I just get the feeling that being in the EU takes away a sense of us and them going through vastly different experiences when this is not the case.

Drac

We have a Brexit thread.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Battle of Britain, 5 Spike, now! Brexiteers Unite!’ is closed to new replies.