• This topic has 57 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Battle of Britain, 5 Spike, now! Brexiteers Unite!
  • Poopscoop

Just started.

It’s about how we kept those ruddy forriners out.

Apart from the Polish pilots that were the most combat effective against the Germans during the battle. Ahem. Gloss over that shall we?

(I’m not a ******* Brexiter btw)

Riksbar

Repeat Please!

tomhoward

Who plays Mark Francois? I’m sure he played a pivotal role.

mrmoofo

Cos, poopscoop, speaking German and living a true facist state would be so much better.
    But perhaps you don’t understand that …

Poopscoop

mrmoofo

Cos, poopscoop, speaking German and living a true facist state would be so much better.
    But perhaps you don’t understand that …

Yawn….. You know full well that’s not what I’m alluding to.

Simply put I find it amusing how “some people” still look to events of 70 years ago in reference to current political and moral values.😘

I think there’s a lot you evidently don’t understand my friend…..

timbog160

Superb film, superb cast, superb aerial sequences – could watch it many times over – that 1960’s style door cracks me up every time though!

Poopscoop

Must agree that the aerial shots are great, the theme tune always gets my spine tingling too.😁

Flags of our Fathers on now which is superb in a far more down to earth brutal way.

nickc

speaking German and living a true facist state would be so much better.

There was no way that the Nazis would ever have been able to mount a successful invasion of the UK.

stewartc
    Free Member

how “some people” still look to events of 70 years ago in reference to current political and moral values.😘

Note, dont study history about people attempting to create a superstate in Europe as its saaaaad.

kimbers

Note, dont study history about people attempting to create a superstate in Europe as its saaaaad.

Yes, because the EU is just like the 3rd Reich 😜

As much as Johnson is like Churchill 🙄

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Simply put I find it amusing how “some people” still look to events of 70 years ago in reference to current political and moral values

History is poorly taught in the UK

There was no way that the Nazis would ever have been able to mount a successful invasion of the UK.

I imagine the French thought the same.

Shame your military genius wasn’t available at the time

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Superb film, superb cast, superb aerial sequences – could watch it many times over – that 1960’s style door cracks me up every time though!

I have a soft spot for the film, but every time a plane blows up you can see the servos, receiver and battery pack flying out. 😁

nickc

Shame your military genius wasn’t available at the time

I can do this thing called reading. Try it; you might find out stuff, what’s the worst that can happen, eh?

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Big and Daft
    The Wehrmacht weren’t equipped for a amphibious invasion of the size that would be required to invade Britain.
    This video explains why,far better than I could.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Simply put I find it amusing how “some people” still look to events of 70 years ago in reference to current political and moral values.

Yet you think it’s OK to start a provocative thread on exactly that theme.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Christmas cheer well and truly over I see.

timbog160

Sink the Bismarck was also on last night – another great film reflecting on some truly terrible events, with huge losses on both sides. God only knows what it must have been like to take off in a swordfish into a North Atlantic storm to attack the most powerful warship ever built – it must really have seemed like a suicide mission…

mooman
    Free Member

The Tory’s won the election- Brexit is happenin – accept it and grow up.

RobHilton
    Free Member

living a true facist state would be so much better.

Would the trains run on time?

kimbers

hamishthecat

Christmas cheer well and truly over I see.

Brexit has divided the country for a generation

mooman

The Tory’s won the election- Brexit is happenin – accept it and grow up.

Nah the next 10 years of brexit grinding down the country will see us remoaners remoaning away to our hearts content as we laugh at the self harm of brexit

kimbers

The Eagle has Landed is on bbc2 later

Isn’t Donald Sutherland a traitorous Irish fella working for the Germans ? aka Leo Vradkaar !😁

AD

At the glorious ‘winners’ – are we not allowed to take the piss anymore then?

How about when the redtops stop making every second headline about the second world war, we’ll stop taking the piss? I thought self-depreciating humour was one of our strong points… Obviously not 🙂

Anyway rejoice – IDS has just got a knighthood.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Any rejoice – IDS has just got a knighthood.

And the Quisling Bercow has been passed over, hopefully forever. No doubt he’ll crop up on I’m a Celebrity at some time bleating “Order!, order!”

kimbers

Quislings like Bercow no doubt be in the tower once we’ve left (entering via traitors gate, obvs) in the glorious new United Britain , huzzah !!

spekkie
    Free Member

Haven’t got time to read the whole thread and watch the videos, but I did see a clip the other day where someone said “otherwise we’d all be speaking German right now” and the reply was “I think you overestimate the ability of us British to learn a foreign language”

alpin
    Free Member

Having lived in Europe /Germany for the last 12 years it does seem to me that we Brits have a very odd perspective when it comes to the war.

Our modern identity is based on some odd jingoistic picture of ourselves that was formed over a generation ago.

I think it’s unhealthy. Always looking back. Remember, but don’t let it dominate your head space.

Yes, other countries have their memorials, but I don’t see them living in the past quite so much, hanging onto former glories.

I’m sure that our other expat STWers could shed some light on how they perceive their adoptive countries’ attitude to the war and how it plays a part in their national identity.

I’m quite sure that this bizarre attitude has subconsciously played a part of lots of people when it comes to their attitude to foreigners and, dare I say it, how they voted on leaving the EU.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I think the fact that Germany started not one but two World wars within living memory may have something to do with our inherrant distrust of them. “Lest we forget” may refer to remembering those who fell but why so many died is still something which is very pertinent to many especially those who had parents and relatives who fought in the last war.

I don’t think it’s such an odd perspective and understandable why the Germans have a different one. I’ve been in other countries like Crete where they suffered at the hands of the Germans and the emnity is still plain to see, even for a Brit. I’m sure the Jews have another perspective altogether as well.

As someone who voted for Brexit what I find bizarre is that remainers just don’t get it. They want to dismiss us a raving, bigoted, ignorant Nazis which is plainly just not the case. Argue for your cause on the merits of staying in the EU if you must but you basically lost the argument on the basis of your own ignorant hubris and just resorted to generalised insults. Then you wonder why you lost so badly at the general election.

nickc

I think the fact that Germany started not one but two World wars

By all means place the second in that category, but this is a gross oversimplification of the state of the European powers at the the turn of the century in respect of the first. That you don’t know or care enough to find out, but still feel that it’s OK to telegraph your ignorance* in public says to me at least, lots of the Brexiteer mentality which you’re trying to declaim.

*in the true sense of the word, not the pejorative.

AD

Nice one forza – I like the way you complain about being dismissed as ‘raving, bigoted and ignorant’ in the SAME post as talking about our ‘inherent distrust’ of Germans…

Well played sir.

kimbers

Yes we all have an inherent distrust of Germans 🙄

Forzafkawi winning todays prize for confirming all us remoaners theories about leavers.

The little Englanders really are a joke

forzafkawi
    Free Member

I feel sorry for you lot. You can’t see past your own bigoted, little World. When I talk about “our inherrant distrust of Germans”, I am describing the attitude of the nation as a whole that the previous posted alluded to, not my own personal feelings or opinions.

I like the French, Germans and Poles etc. a whole lot better that you lot. But you just don’t want to admit that to yourselves do you? Much easier to label people like me as a racist bigots who can’t stand foreigners to justify your own one-sided view of the World. I’m actually embarrassed for you that you can even believe let alone exhibit such tiny minds. I’m just thankful that you are in the diminishing minority that keeps getting knocked back.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

nickc
    By all means place the second in that category, but this is a gross oversimplification of the state of the European powers at the the turn of the century in respect of the first. That you don’t know or care enough to find out, but still feel that it’s OK to telegraph your ignorance* in public says to me at least, lots of the Brexiteer mentality which you’re trying to declaim.

*in the true sense of the word, not the pejorative.

I did/do know that it was a gross oversimplification to say that Germany started the First World War but the fact that they were the major opponent for the rest of Europe means that in most people’s minds they are “the baddie” in this scenario and you can’t escape that fact no matter how liberal you think you are. I also realise that the way the allies treated Germany after that war sowed the seeds for the Second World War. That still doesn’t excuse the fact for what ensued and why the attitude towards Germany from many nations still prevails today.

My father fought and was wounded in the Second World War. My uncle (his brother) was killed in the same war. My grandfather fought in the First World War (and survived). I have no opinion about Germany or the German people either way. Live and let live I say. I just don’t hold with the EU as an institution and feel it has been foisted upon us by stealth.

Call it Little Britain if you like, I prefer to think that it opens us out to the World and welcome the opportunities that brings outside the confines of the EU.

aP
    Free Member

When I talk about “our inherrant distrust of Germans”, I am describing the attitude of the nation as a whole

Many of whom buy and rejoice in buying cars made by companies owned by Germans, sportswear owned by Germans, food companies owned by Germans, use gas and electricity from companies owned by Germans, buses owned and run by Germans, trains owned and run by Germans.
    🤔

aP
    Free Member

Call it Little Britain if you like, I prefer to think that it opens us out to the World and welcome the opportunities that brings outside the confines of the EU.

Yes but I will call it Little Englander – because it’s way too close to the truth (and depressing) to call it Little Britain.
    There really aren’t going to be any new deals, the EU? Sick of us, and looking forward to us begging. The US? Any deal will benefit them not us. Africa? They’ll sit waiting and then laugh as they pick off the bits they want. Australia/ New Zealand? They hate us. Canada? They hate us. South America? except as a market for US style agriculture or drugs what do we have that interests them? China? They may by some world renowned business names – actually this may be our best bet, we could just become a theme park.
    The only industry in which we’ll create our new special rules will be in tax havens and financial engineering for despots. Food – either US or EU, anything manufactured – either US or EU, bringing back Imperial weights and measures? Hahaha. Clothing? We don’t have a credible industry. Steel? Will be dead within 18 months. Ship building? Dead within 18 months. Aerospace? Do we still own any? And that’s left will move.

kimbers

am describing the attitude of the nation as a whole

The nation as a whole has an inherent distrust of Germans , really?

Please don’t lump me in with this nation, they sound like a right bunch of bigots !

forzafkawi
    Free Member

aP

When I talk about “our inherrant distrust of Germans”, I am describing the attitude of the nation as a whole

Many of whom buy and rejoice in buying cars made by companies owned by Germans, sportswear owned by Germans, food companies owned by Germans, use gas and electricity from companies owned by Germans, buses owned and run by Germans, trains owned and run by Germans.

I agree wholeheartedly. You think because people vote to come out of the EU that they hate everything foreign and just live on fish and chips? That’s what gets me about the remainer attitude or at least the majority which seem to be expressed on here and other social media. You think that we all subscribe to one mind-think and that we just hate foreigners are and are mindless bigots that want nothing to do with the rest of the World. I find that just an amazingly exagerated generalisation which can’t possibly be true even if you want it to be.

In the same way I can’t possibly believe that all Remainers are Oxbridge educated intellectuals who have a monopoly on the truth and are absolutely convinced that they know what is best for the country and how Brexit is going to pan out in 20+ years. Or maybe you do…

Just stop with the petty, herd insults and start thinking for yourself.

kimbers

You think that we all subscribe to one mind-think and that we just hate foreigners are and are mindless bigots that want nothing to do with the rest of the World. I find that just an amazingly exagerated generalisation which can’t possibly be true even if you want it to be.

You literally just said you think the nation as a whole has an inherent distrust of Germany

forzafkawi
    Free Member

kimbers

Subscriber

am describing the attitude of the nation as a whole

The nation as a whole has an inherent distrust of Germans , really?

Please don’t lump me in with this nation, they sound like a right bunch of bigots !

I agree. Probably an over-exaggeration on my part to claim that and I could have chosen my words more carefully so I apologise. I was trying to express a general feeling that I sense amongst probably the older generation in response to the original premise of the previous poster. Not one that I realise many younger generations may subscribe to but I think you’ll find many older citizens also do not really think like that including many who voted leave.

It may come as no surprise to you that I don’t know anyone who voted remain other than a friend’s daughter but none of whom I have ever heard express any rabid hate (or distrust) of foreigners. We freely travel to foreign countries and spend money there, drive foreign cars and some even own properties in other European countries. The reasons for voting Leave are also varied as far as I can tell just as I am sure the myriad of reasons for voting Remain were.

alpin
    Free Member

My GF pointed out the number of TV shows that begin or include the words “Brits in…”, “British…”, “best of British…..”, “British inventions that saved the world….” and so on.

There seems to be something inherent in UK culture that needs to keep reminding itself of what it was or is, not what it wants to be. Happy to sit on the shoulders of its past glories.

An isolationist attitude that looking in from the outside doesn’t make much sense.

Just a few of my fleeting observations over the last week….

Town centres are shut up.

The verge of any arterial roads are strewn with litter.

Bus shelters are smashed.

Bike paths are nonexistent.

Roads are full of pot holes.

Lots of obese people, particularly women.

People like Gemma Collins are put up on a pedestal and are seen as something to aspire to.

Lots of women have stupid eyelashes, orange skin and possibly the onset of diabetes.

The UK could do so much better.

finishthat
    Free Member

Attitudes would be very different if the UK had been invaded/occupied, because of this lack of experience it’s too easy to spout complete gibberish and not be called out for it. The UK just did not suffer enough in WW2 .
    Rebuilding Europe took a lot of hard work on so many levels – in mainland Europe people had to deal with so much seemingly impossible immediate tension and deprivation that it thought them and their children how to live in the future.
    Not so here , they just made films and got down to being a bit isolated.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Battle of Britain, 5 Spike, now! Brexiteers Unite!’ is closed to new replies.