• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Barrow-in-Furness
  • freddyg
    Free Member

Just found out I’ll be working there for the next few months; still getting home at weekends though. Any ideas on things to do? If there’s somewhere to keep my bike, I’ll take it, obviously.

Tips welcome for places to eat, drink, visit etc.

Many thanks.

allthepies
    Free Member

Spent a few months working there in the 90’s. Luckily I was staying at a nice hotel by lake Windermere so could escape the stinking hell hole delightful town in the evening.

freddyg
    Free Member

Ah. Okay.

So you recommend looking for an hotel a few miles out then?

allthepies
    Free Member

To be fair I never spent an evening in Barrow so a more objective opinion would be more useful to you !

geetee1972
    Free Member

To be fair I never spent an evening in Barrow

I have. It was like stepping back 20 years. My best mate is from there and went back last month for the first time in about 10 years. He said it was still like stepping back 20 years.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I stayed here really nice and you have a choice of pubs and to go for a ride on the roadie or head into the hills on your mtb.

freddyg
    Free Member

That looks alright, thanks. I’ll give them a ring in the morning.

allthepies
    Free Member

I was working at VSEL at the time and saw Princess Di when she arrived by helicopter to name one of the Vanguard subs which were being built. Weird working there with the “Nuclear site: in the event of an alarm collect your iodine tablets and go home” stylee signs up 😯

grumm
    Free Member

Mate used to live there – it’s pretty grim for a night out I have to say. There’s an area known as the Gaza Strip apparently – and the place is sometimes referred to as Basra-in-Furness. Not far from some good riding though.

The Prince of Wales in Foxfield is an interesting pub that brews it’s own beer – short train ride from Barrow.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I’m from barrow originally

there are bits of it that are very grim, mostly with a 1 mile radius of town centre, then quite a few bits that are quite nice/interesting in a +ve way.

abbey house hotel is nice
    walney island has 11 mile long sandy beach
    roa island is an interesting place, with peil island good to visit on ferry.
    Lake district is very close

weather is kack
    it’s 45 mins from the motorway
    the town centre is like stepping onto the set of Lord of the Rings
    v rough on a night out

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Class fr nights out, get down scorpios, its wicked. If you tske your bike then theres loads of spots to ride like barra skate park, ormsgill skatepark, walney skatepark or dirt jumps at roose.

Best spot to eat is hollywood park, theres a kfc, mcdonalds or pizza hut.

Your about a 15/20 mile drive from Parkamoor, grizedale, walna scar etc. etc. so worth taking the bike.

MartynS

If I were you I’d be tempted to stay in Ulverston about 10-15 mins down the road..

Haze

The Skate Shack was always worth a visit, probably long gone by now!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

nearby Dalton is great fun of an evening. I think there are 7 pubs within 100 metres along the main road 🙂

plastic_scotsman
    Free Member

I work in Barrow and live out near Ulverston, which I would recommend as the place to stay. Bring your bike as you are only 20mins away from the lakes and grizedale.

Bring your waterproofs as we have entered the rainy season.

If you want to know anything specific let me know.

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

What the best thing in B-I-F ?….

….The A590 out.

Lived in the area for many years, and would recommend staying in Ulverston and commuting through. Papa_Lazarou hits the nail on the head. I wouldn’t go out drinking in Barrow if you paid me, rough as. It’s not all bad though, there are some nice bits. As an alternative to bikes , the best thing about Walney Island is it has long sandy beaches and lots of wind so really good for kitesurfing. In fact they hold the National Champs there. http://northwestkitesurfing.co.uk/index.php Not sure if it’s your thing, but worth a look.

white101

‘Bring your waterproofs as we have entered the rainy season’

This could be applicable at any time of the year!

Lived there for a while, out at Walney Island, whilst the boat was getting built. Bit grim, Cornwallis st has a few pubs on, take your own weapons though.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Grum-I lived at the prince of wales as a kid :-).As for barrow,well what can I say,the people who go on the jeremy kyle show would turn there noses up at living there 😆 .

FoxyChick
    Free Member

I work in Barrow but live in Ulverston.
    I only ever venture into Barrow between the hours of 8.00am and 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
    I cannot think of one redeeming feature.

wors

I stopped in barrow last weekend, at the travel lodge near the football ground. We had been to the south lakes zoo. I think you are being a bit harsh onthe place.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Would you live there?

wors

I can think of worse places to live.

tops5
    Free Member

I’m originally from barrow have to agree it can be a bit rough on a night out in town although I still love going back for session

Think the going back 20 years comments are a bit harsh – there’s a cool music scene up there (depending on taste) check out atic records on line for some good events

Would probably move back to the outskirts if the work was there

mrh86

I’m currently on placement at Furness General Hospital in Barrow, and live on site during the week. Like others have said, I would stay a bit out of barrow, ulverston maybe? I haven’t been into Barrow at night so cant really comment but have heard stories/rumours.

Lakes District is very close so definitely take your bike!

yossarian
    Free Member

My father in law owns the Victoria Park Hotel in Barrow and its my wife’s hometown.

Yes the town can get a bit tasty on the weekend but name me a northern town that doesn’t.

On thing that always strikes me when I go up there is how friendly and welcoming the people are.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Lived here 40+ years, 90% friendly people,30 minutes from some of the best mtb routes around, know plenty of people who have been sent to the shipyard on short placement and never left some 60 + years, bring your bike and judge the area yourself, you may be pleasently suprised.

br
    Free Member

You can take the man outta Barrow, but you can’t take Barrow out of the man.

(Lad I worked with a few years ago – he liked a ‘drink’…)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Barrow-in-Furness’ is closed to new replies.