Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • baristatrackworld help
  • Potdog
    Free Member

Got one of these Philips Saeco espresso machines as a post Christmas gift.

Loving the fresh coffee, but noticed that on the last few brews that when I take off the coffee holder, the coffee inside is waterlogged, it was dry after brewing the first few times I used it.

Am I doing something wrong?

My process is coffee in, switch dial to coffee dispense, when I have the desired amount of coffee switch back to centre position, take out my cup and take off the coffee holder. Then switch across to steam my milk.

I think the first few times I maybe left the coffee holder in place while I steamed my milk, but found there was some pressure build up then when I took off the coffee holder and it sprayed coffee grind everywhere. So thats when I think I maybe changed my original order a little bit.

Amy ideas?
    Cheers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

It may not have an over pressure valve fitted as it’s a budget machine which will result in a wet puck, or the OPV is blocked.
    If using pre-ground coffee it goes stale very quickly and changes extraction so it may be over extracted (water coming through too quickly) or you are under dosing or not enough tamp pressure.

Potdog
    Free Member

Thanks for that MrSmith. Under dosing sounds possible as I have been varying the amount of coffee I put it.

With regards tamp pressure, would the wetness be due to too much or too little?

Equally, it is pre ground coffee, but its in an airtight container and in the fridge. How long should it last?

Potdog
    Free Member

Just tried with 1.5 scoops of coffee rather than 1 scoop. Not sure if I used more or less tamp pressure than before, but it was packed quite firmly. Seemed to come out nearer to what I expected. 🙂

MrSmith
    Free Member

With regards tamp pressure, would the wetness be due to too much or too little?

Equally, it is pre ground coffee, but its in an airtight container and in the fridge. How long should it last?

Too little as you found out, you should only vary the amount to get a nice pour (17-21g for a double basket)
    Roasted coffee has a sweet spot of 5-25 days after roasting, once ground it starts to deteriorate fast, I wouldn’t use anything not ground on the day but I’m picky. I throw away any beans over a month old

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘baristatrackworld help’ is closed to new replies.