Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Bargain chainset?
  • robbo1234biking

Was just about to order a Deore chainset for £60 when I saw this for £30 – anyone got any experience? If so I assume it is an external bottom bracket like shimano and uses the same tools? Cheers

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35721&PartnerID=2562

Onzadog
    Free Member

careful, the £30 one os only 170mm crank length. You'll open up the "does 5mm make a difference?" debate again.

tragically1969
    Free Member

It uses a Mega Exo BB, are they not differenct to the new shimano ones ?

younggeoff

MegaExo is the same diameter as Shimano if I remember correctly, I think it's GXP that's a different size but I could well be wrong 🙁

firestarter
    Free Member

mega exo are same as shimano . I have an fsa mega exo chainset with an xt bb at the moment

Clink

wooly hat shop are (I think) doing older deore chainset for £34.95

devs
    Free Member

Bargain that. On-one shop has the FSA V Drive at £65 which retails at £140. I've had one 2 years and rate it above the Race Face Evolve XC and Shimano LX I've used for performance (they either work or don't I can't notice flex and stuff) and ring wear.

poppa
    Free Member
    tragically1969
    Free Member

These are better than the Deore for £60:

Weird ratios though.

poppa
    Free Member

Bugger, didn't notice that. Also have Alu middle ring, so not that durable. Ignore me.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I really rate the Truvativ stylo crank which I bought a few months ago for £60ish

Merlin have em for £70.

Factor in a new bottom bracket soon though because GXP ones are proper cack. You can get some adaptors made by hope which enables you to run Shimano style BB's.

leelovesbikestoo
    Free Member

😯

48T outer! Brings back memories…

tragically1969
    Free Member

Bugger, didn't notice that. Also have Alu middle ring, so not that durable. Ignore me.

Good for a SS speed though, wish i had seen em before i forked out £90 for an SLX !!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Techie note; The Hope GXP adaptors work with Hope BBs, not Shimano BBs.

The Shimano ones, and Acros too, run a placky top-hat inside the bearings, so the adaptors won't fit properly.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Techie note; The Hope GXP adaptors work with Hope BBs, not Shimano BBs.

The Shimano ones, and Acros too, run a placky top-hat inside the bearings, so the adaptors won't fit properly.

Thanks for that reggie – I was about to make an expensive-ish mistake

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If you do buy the Hope adaptors then I'd suggest grinding/filing a little notch out of one of them before you fit them, so that you can remove them in the future.

Without the notch it's a but tricky to get a screwdriver between them to tap the first one out. With the notch it's a doddle. Are you listening Hope?

The bearings in my Hope BB started to go rough so I've had to remove the adpators, regrease the brearings, then refit the adpators. This is on a Sram red chainset on the roadie.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Bargain chainset?’ is closed to new replies.