Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Barcelona: ideas?
  • grtdkad

We’ve four days in Barcelona coming up with our two teenage girls (13 & 17).
    Looking for ‘must do/see’ attractions and also recommendations for decent meals.

Any insight welcomed … we have noted:
    – Gothic Quarter / La Rambla
    – Gaudi La Sagrada Familia cathedral
    – Montserrat
    – Picasso Museum
    – Gaudi’s Park Güell

Our hotel is near the beach, about 1mile away from the city centre.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

La Rambla walk?

Caher

Nou Camp, even if you don’t like football.

ElShalimo

Best advice I got for Barcelona is spend 90% of your time watching out for pick-pockets.

Lovely place but be careful

grtdkad

Yeah, should have said. We’ll not be going to the footie stadium.
    No interest. Whatsoever.

Moe

Like Caher says though, the Nou camp is impressive. I have no interest at all (but went with a group of lads that were) and I would recommend it. Any of the Gaudi stuff is good. Most of those attractions have a time slot booking system so plan ahead! Gruel park is particularly good. Boat trips around the marina are a bit meh but seeing some of the super yachts is worth a wander around the harbour side.

BillMC

The food market is vivid and impressive.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Some nice restaurants and bars down at the old Olympic marina

sarawak
    Free Member

Cassa Balto. La Pedrera. Both Gaudi sites. Book in advance here and Sagrada and Parc Guell. The park is a little way out of town and needs a steepish walk from the bus stop.
    Boccheria market just off Las Ramblas is worth a trip.
    The concert hall is worth going just to see the ceramic walls and glass ceiling.
    Las Ramblas is busy but very enjoyable. Don’t get hung up on stories of pick pockets, they are no worse than anywhere else.
    The waterfalls at the top of Las Ramblas put on a super coloureddisplay until 10PM.

Nou Camp even if you don’t like footy. An impressive set up.

poolman
    Free Member

Picasso museum
    Santa Catalina market
    Chocolate and churros on via laetana
    Marina bars for drinks
    Mercat de conception up near grazia
    Coffee at el cort ingles plaza Cataluña for best views
    Look for gigs at razzmataz
    Cable car from marina
    Freixenet tour
    Just do touristy stuff quickly to say you ve been, mercat boqueria is awful compared to above. Touristy stuff is double the price and half the quality.

And hide you phone and wallet in a body belt thingy, carry a false wallet with 5e in it.

ste_t
    Free Member

Make sure you check out the market at la rambla, though it will be busy, great to grab a seat at the counter and eat some fresh seafood.

Edit: though poolman clearly wasn’t a fan!

sniff
    Free Member

Visit some dead people https://humanbodies.eu/en/

Some really fascinating displays.

poolman
    Free Member

Casa Battlo is currently being renovated so is covered in material. Its the contaminated city air. Music palace as above has a nice cafe, 200m further on the narrow road on lhs, black front, brilliant little cafe.

Boqueria is ok but nothing compared to other markets. You get hassled by cafes in there with menus with photos….be warned.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

We live 90 mins south of Barcelona so go from time to time. The Sagrada Familia is breathtaking but you need to pre- book tickets. Personally I like the Port Nou looking at the superyachts. The Montjuic park is lovely and the evening fountain display is spectacular. The Olympic park is looking a bit care worn but worth a walk to the diving pool to see the iconic view for those of a certain age. Theres a cylindrical building on the Placa Espana which has an external lift that gives good view and only costs €1. Eating and drinking for 4 can be expensive but there are lots of restaurants off the Rambla that do a menu del dia for around €10-12. First thing I’d do is a bus tour to get your bearings then go back to bits you like on foot. Apart from the Sagrada Familia which is a no brainer.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Passadis del Pep.

dudeofdoom

I always take the bus tour (it’s very relaxing and you get to see a lot of Barcelona and it’s easy to organise days around it without having to think too hard) when I’m in Barcelona and get my smellies in the shopping centre in the marina and the aquariums not bad.

There’s also a Hard Rock Cafe but tbh I like the el Born district for food (chip shop) and the Mexican place tlexiu and the crazy fantastic cake shop Hoffman.

The Caixaforum Can also be worth a quick look to get your culture(I caught a Warhol exhibition once ) in and as it’s on the bus route from montjuic easily slides in.

grtdkad

Brilliant, thank you all.

lunge

Santa Gula for food.
    Bike tour, not as it’s on a bike but as you see the city

poolman
    Free Member

Cafe near the music hall is called casa Lolea, Santa pere mes alt.
    Good pizzeria is Les dues sicilies, carrer cardes 22.
    Chocolate and churros at churreria laietana, on via laietana.

All v central, like 10 mins walk from plaza Cataluña max

Wigan are playing Catalan dragons at nou camp 18 may.

Enjoy

andos

Bar on roof top of Museum of Catalonian History overlooking the marina is a nice spot for evening drinks

senorj

Doesn’t cost much…..I had an ace time walking down the beach & mooching around the docks/harbour. From the “olympic” village back to main harbour….if I recall correctly.

Caher

Barcelona is the only place I’ve ridden an electric bike. Gave me a taste for things to come.

stevie750

Bike tour, not as it’s on a bike but as you see the city

+1
    Do this first as it gives you a good idea of where everything is . The one I went on was a nice leisurely pace and took in loads of the sights.
    La rambla is probably the worst part of the city

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Barcelona: ideas?’ is closed to new replies.