• This topic has 49 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Barbour
  • righog
    Free Member

A great British Company. I love mine

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUbiA1dZB6lLrNGt4dC0qZ1Q&feature=player_detailpage&v=D2cfqwGrVU8[/video]

zippykona

Double ditto that.
    I got one from Mrs Zip for christmas years ago. She could wrap it up and give it to me every year and I’d be over the moon.
    When I was motorbiking Belstaff was the affordable option and Barbour mega bucks. Not anymore.

ton

got some of their shoes……very good quality, and comfort too.

RustySpanner

Much of it now made abroad, sadly.

I like Barbours though – you can always spot an idiot out for a bit of sport in the countryside by their brand new Bedale.
    And they’re just the thing to go with the Aigle wellys whilst driving the Audi to Sale Water Park to take the Sprocker for 10 minute walk, before locking it up for the next 23 hours.

Still make excellent clothing, shame they’re trendy now – gone very pricey.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Mine is about to have its 30th birthday 🙂 A slight victim of their own durability as I’d happily buy another but mine is still going and has a certain character as well as sharing many happy times with me.

Their wax baseball style caps are excellent too, some of the other clothing a bit mixed (wool and cotton sweaters) but yes overall a marvellous British success story.

RustySpanner

If you fancy a decent waxed cap, the ones from Failsworth Hats are very tough indeed and only cost £15.00.
    Very good quality, made in the UK.

Might buy another Barbour jacket at some stage, but they tend to get hammered and very pricey now.
    Using a Dickies one at the mo which I think Stoner recommended.
    £35.00, excellent value from Srcewfix Direct!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I have a couple of ancient ones and they’re sublime pieces of kit.

wallop

I always had one as a kid in rural Cornwall. Smashing jackets. Sadly I just couldn’t get away with one now that I live in central Bristol, so I bought an Aigle instead 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a knackered brown wax riding jacket which must be 20 yrs old at least.. It’s dried out a bit and has a couple of holes in the front pockets but blimey each and every time I put it on it’s like slipping into another skin.. 😆

drlex
    Free Member

It’s dried out a bit and has a couple of holes in the front pockets

I had this on mine, so as a thirtieth birthday present to it, it went back to the factory for a patch-up & re-proof.

totalshell

i ve had my international suit and jacket for almost 30 years now.. bought from an army surplus store in keswick for 20 quid.. yes 20 quid.. i bought a new jacket belt about 20 years ago for 15 quid.

last wore them both a fortnight ago whilst out on my triumph twin. prefer the trous to the jacket to be honest.

CountZero

I’ve got a Stockman, which is great when it’s coming down in torrents, especially with Mucboots, and a wax Tilley hat.
    It has one problem, and that’s where the cloth flexes and folds just below the pockets, the wax seems to just flake off, inside and out, leaving a dry patch. I’ve tried rewaxing, using Barbour wax, and Renapur wax, and it still happens. Thing is, this is a replacement coat, for one I bought in a sale, that lost wax all over the place, and this one seems to suffer similarly. My Belstaff Trialmaster, on the other hand, shows no sign of the coating ever breaking down, drying out, or letting even a tiny drop of water through.
    It does seem to be a different type of wax coating though. Whatever, it’s my go-to jacket whenever it looks damp, and apart from having managed to rip the material where the belt loops attach, by catching the belt on objects, which I’ve re-stitched with waxed leather thread, I reckon it’ll probably outlast me.

RustySpanner

Gave my Belstaff Trailmaster away years ago when the ex complained about it leaving black sludge all over the place when it was soaked.
    Replaced by a Rukka which was made before the word ‘breathable’ had been invented.

She’s long gone, wish I’d kept the jacket.
    😀

ktmblag
    Free Member

barbour is too chav these days..belstaff is good fashion but not as good as modern fabric for function

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I was wearing a Barbour years ago when I rode trials & remember one wintry ride which threw every weather condition known to man at us riders. At the end of the trial (Bollihope Common, run by Weardale Motor Club, bout 1980) It was so cold I actually stood my jacket up on the ground it was so cold.
    I was dry though.

Houns

Very chav, sadly gone same way as Burberry (I have my Grandads vintage Mac)

wallop

Hasn’t Burberry come back around though? You don’t see ‘that’ check around much these days.

noteeth
    Free Member

Battered & tied in the middle with baler twine FTW.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Battered & tied in the middle with baler twine FTW.

Perfect !

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Barbour can indeed be chav. If worn with the badges still attached, pristine and with Hunters. In an urban environment.

Old, beaten and worn out, paired with decent stout footwear, and in the right place, it’s far from being chav.

RustySpanner

They used to be classless, like the Mini or the Inbred. 😀

Waxed cotton is very practical and lasts a hell of a lot longer than Gore Tex when you’re trying to fix stuff outside in winter.

I miss the cheap, old fashioned Donkey Jackets from The Army & Navy Stores – pretty waterproof and very warm.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Still occasionally use my Dads international trousers. They are a bit scruffy as he bought them but didn’t get a chance to use them before he jumped into Suez. Some thieving Welshman nicked my mini in Bangor in 1983 and the jacket went then.
    Have several Belstaffs of a similar ilk.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Still brilliant. My current one is 20+ years old but will probably never wear out. Never been reproofed but still 100% waterproof and wind proof. If only other items were as reliable. Proof that seemingly expensive items actually represent excellent value.

souldrummer
    Free Member

I have had a couple but have never been utterly convinced that they are properly waterproof, even when new. I had my old one re-waxed a few times at the factory, but still it leaked on the shoulders.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My old Beaufort despite feeding with wax split and shredded to the point where more of the lining was visible than the exterior.

In the end it smelled like the inside of my Land Rover. The pockets contained many of its nuts, bolts and washers.

sweepy
    Free Member

I inherited mine from my Dad, i’ll never get rid of it.

CountZero

Somewhere hidden away, is my dad’s Belstaff jacket and trousers. One day it’ll turn up, probably in a trunk or something. It’ll be around sixty years old by now. That would be a great thing to wear.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Greasy, smelly things. They had their purpose back in the day but that day is long gone.

stever
    Free Member

I wandered in to the Barbour shop on Regent Street. The b*stards had a couple of vintage trials bikes on display. I almost wet myself with excitement.

andyl
    Free Member

I’ve let my Barbour Sapper get a bit battered now. Mind you it’s 5 years old this year and still gets used as my best jacket and my farming jacket when it’s tool cold for a cheap waterproof.

I am to blame really as I’ve not had it re-proofed and I really need to. A couple of the front pockets have little holes in the bottom corners, one of the side pockets is a bit ripped at the seam from catching it on stuff and the ends of the cuffs are now also starting to get a bit perished.

I’ll get it rewaxed quickly and see how the minor things go. Might send it back to Babour at some point for the pockets to be fixed but the cuffs are probably beyond repair. Might ask them though.

To be honest I have more than had my moneys worth and I will get another one without so much padding for smarter wear and keep this one for farming and general dog walking duties.

zippykona

My very splendid Christmas hat.

Drac

Great Geordie Jackets.

I keep meaning to treat myself to a new one had them as a kid they were excellent, then had one when I use to shoot but lost it somewhere. Dead easy to reproof yourself just takes a little time to clean it down.

djglover
    Free Member

It’s the new Burberry, chavs adorning themselves with it left right and centre, like hunter

dashed
    Free Member

They’re “made” in south shields so wrong side of the river Drac 😉

Horrid things – My old man used to sell them so I’ve had my fair share over the years. I spend a lot of time out in wet countryside and a Barbour waxed jacket is the last thing I’d use. They leak, they’re not breathable, they’re cold, noisy, heavy and they stink! Great for pushing through thick undergrowth but that’s about it. But nothing beats the overtrousers for pushing through bramble – everything else is shredded within minutes but they seem to keep going for ever!

Although I’ve a couple of non-wax barbour jackets, gore-texy things, that have been great. Really don’t see the appeal, of wax jackets though- things have moved on since 1930’s technology 😉

Drac

They’re “made” in south shields so wrong side of the river Drac

I know technically it’s not Geordie land same as I’m not.

jfletch
    Free Member

I will be at Twickenham on Saturday. I will be in the minority not wearing a Barbour.

Their ubiquity at the cabbage patch looked to be on the wain a few years ago as the old guard and ther Barbours dissapeared, replaced by scores of TNF but thanks to a fashion revival the place will be awash with Barbour quilted jackets. Superdry will be a close second.

core

I don’t think Barbour is quite ‘chavvy’ yet, maybe on its way, it’s certainly very popular with more urban people around here these days, but at the prices it is, it hasn’t quite reached the real chavs yet.

In rural Herefordshire, it’s everywhere, too much, but I don’t think the chavs would go for the ‘farmer look’ as that is how it is still perceived generally.

I got a barbour quilted jacket for xmas, warm as toast it is, and it’s fairly plain looking, bit of faux leather trim, but ideal for dry winter days. Also got a fleece lined hunters hat, which is superb, keeps me my head (& big ears) dry, and warm in all weathers.

BUT, my best barbour garment has to be a pair of leggings I’ve just been given by a relative, they must be 20 or 30 years old, and have been used a lot while game keeping, they’re perfect for rough shooting, smell just like old wax should, and don’t make you sweat, and as they’re well worn make me look orsumz…….

Houns

Plenty of chavs around here wear knock off Barbour. Then the chavs with money wear the real stuff

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The ‘farmer look’ certainly seems pretty big in That London’s trendier Eastern parts these days. Very ‘artisan’ or something.

righog
    Free Member

You are either a Chav or not a Chav, what you wear will make no difference to that.

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    The ‘farmer look’ certainly seems pretty big in That London’s trendier Eastern parts these days. Very ‘artisan’ or something.

I was in terminal 5 last week and saw quite a few women wearing wellies, I just assumed they were too big to pack in there suitcases, guess I was wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Barbour’ is closed to new replies.