Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Bar end shifter compatibility on a gravel bike
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Potentially looking to build a gravel bike with a 1x drivetrain. Rather than the expense of brifters I was thinking could use a durace 10 speed bar end shifter I have handing around, or something similar.

If I go that route, what mech and cassette am I limited to? Ideally I’d like a 10 speed 11-36 As a minimum. Do I have to use road stuff, or is mtb compatible?

Don’t want to use friction shift, however happy to buy another shifter if required (and cheap) if the duraace ones limit my choice.

Ta

simondbarnes

A 9spd Shimano mtb mech (eg, m3000) would work with the DA 10spd shifters and an 11-36.

nedrapier

Fairly sure 10 speed road isn’t the same as 10 speed mtb in mtb flavour. 9 speed mtb works with 9 speed road, though.

I went from 9 speed dura ace bar end to 10 speed Sram bar end on my cx type thing as I wanted a clutchy mech and that was the only route, but the shifting on the dura ace is much nicer.

Wish I’d tried a narrow wide ring first. The same dura ace and non clutch XT mech is now on my commuter with a superstar narrow wide ring. The commuter sees a lots of off road and chain drops are very rare.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tpbiker
    Free Member

Good to know. Only issue is I assume a rear clutch isn’t available in 9 speed. Is a chain going to be secure on a narrow wide with a non clutch without a chain guide? It’ll be a gravel bike build, so not the most challenging terrain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d help but you said “brifter”

midlifecrashes

9 speed Shimano MTB (eg XT770 series)rear mechs plays nicely with Shimano roadie 10 speed shifters, it’s what tourers used for ages to run the 11-36 cassettes when they were the widest range around, usually with a triple up front.

mattsccm
    Free Member
    luv2ride
    Free Member

I did a similar build but with Sram kit; Cheap s500 11sp shifter off ebay, cheap Sram Apex 1x RD off another cycling forum classifieds section, as well as an unused Sunrace 11-42 cassette. Am sure it was less than £120 all in. All works seamlessly….

tpbiker
    Free Member

Those microshift look just the job for an apex 11 speed rear. Buy they don’t seem on sale anywhere

The s500 look a bit expensive, by the time I’ve bought those and some drop bar brakes, I’m not far off the 1x apex shifter set.

apedoctor
    Free Member

If you’re going friction rather than indexed bar end shifter, anything works with anything, with the caveat that you might need to file away some of the shifter holder bit for more room.

I’ve used Silver Shifters AND 8 speed Shimano bar end shifters on anything from 9 speed through to 11 speed cassettes, up to 11-42 size. Both with a 9 speed deore rear mech and a 10 speed XT rear mech.

The beauty of friction is that where the cassettes aren’t any wider, and the rear mechs have loads of travel, there really are no issues.

Regards to the filing, i had to file away about 1/2 a cm of the housing bit (the bit that screws into the handlebar) to get enough range with the 10speed XT mech.

apedoctor
    Free Member

Should also say, you may need to adjust the B screw pending cassette / rear mech choice.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Bar end shifter compatibility on a gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.