Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bar congestion !! options needed
  • jimr80
    Free Member

I have decided to switch from 1×10 – 2×10 and having been use to running my reverb on the left(rh lever). Upon fitting the front shifter i seem to have little room, if any to fit the reverb remote without it seeming to far inboard. i’m running xt m758 brake and xtr m780 shifters. Has anyone got the same setup ? how have you got it all placed ? Pics would be good. 🙂

curvature
    Free Member

You will have to fit it on the right hand side the correct way up.

I have one on my running 1 x 10 and it is on the left. On my Clockwork that still has a front mech I have fitted the remote on the right in between the brake and gear levers but obviously it has to go the top of the bar.

I never stand my bike upside down so never find this a problem.

creamegg
    Free Member

Ive had to have mine on the right side on top as couldn’t get it to fit on underside left hand. My setup is hope brakes on matchmakers with shimano shifters. Ive tried several times to fit on the left but just wont work without having the lever too far away

mikewsmith
    Free Member

SRAM shifters is the answer or avid brakes 🙂
    I think you can get a matchmaking adapter for the brakes or shifters?

curvature
    Free Member

As creamegg I run Hope/Shimano.

If your reverb is an MMX version it should come with a fixing to enable you to bolt direct to SRAM/Avid.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Or go grip shift on the left.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve set three up for friends with a rh lever upside down on the left although all were running hope tech brakes.

Search the forum and there are pics of a few people who manage it.

It is tight though.

Grip
    Reverb
    Shifter
    Brake
    Stem

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Shimano shifters and brakes, 2×9, rh reverb on left no problem.

From outside in:
    Grip
    Shifter, xt, adjusted on clamp
    Xt 2012 lever
    Reverb

Works well.

akak
    Free Member

I’m in the same situation as the OP, planning to go back to 2x but I can’t see it working on the left as it is currently tucked right under the brake and there will be no space for the gear paddles. I guess it will be okay on the right but completely horizontal to minimise damage risk.

scaredypants

wobbliscott has the answer – gripshift is way better than levers for the front

br
    Free Member

Wider bars?

But, I use the Hope/Shimano matchmaker setup.

letmetalktomark

From Left to Right on my Solaris

GRIP | BRAKE | SHIFTER | REVERB | POPLOC ] [b]STEM[/b] [ SHIFTER |BRAKE | GRIP

I run 762mm bars and have largish hands.

TBH its far from ideal.

I’m looking at 1×10 and dropping the poploc so we’ll see 😛

ndg
    Free Member

This is why I’ve gone with a LEV for my yet to be built bike – lever replaces the inner ODI lock ring – very neat, and one of the biggest selling points IMHO (along with the stationary cable).

alfabus
    Free Member

On my 1×10 I run a RH lever upside down on the left.

For my 2×10, I wanted it in the same place, but couldn’t quite get it. With i-spec shifters, I have it a bit further inboard (this is the closest that it can be to clear the shifter) – it is a bit more of a stretch than on my 1x, but still very reachable.

Dave

steel4real
    Free Member

2 X 9 and reverb switch mounted upside down on the left like Alfabus above.

On 2 bikes, one previously with Hope mono mini, but now shimano Deore brakes & XT 9 speed shfiter. Other with XT brakes and shifters, no I spec, M775 brakes. Both 711mm bars.

Sure the reverb switch is a little inboard but I can easily move my left hand in a bit to press it. I’m not racing and don’t think I have to press it as easily as I do the brake or shifter.

Hands are not big – a M or L glove size and I have a dodgy pair of thumbs as well as they have both been broken !

roverpig

What’s wrong with gripshift then? It seems to be the ideal solution, but nobody is using it.

cookeaa

What’s wrong with gripshift then? It seems to be the ideal solution, but nobody is using it.

I don’t know about “Ideal” not everyone get’s on with Grip-shifters, and some people are fussier about symmetry, plus you either end up looking for a stumpy lock on or a chopped down one (assuming that all sane people us Loc-ons now).

I’d still certainly consider a LH Gripshift if I was looking to accommodate another lever on the LH side of the bars (In fact I think I might have an old on in the spares tub), Question are there any 10spd (Dynasys) compatible Gripshifters about?

I know there’s a slight difference to cable pull from 9-10 speed for the front mechs that most can live with, but could you end up with rubbing? I suppose having a front mech trim option might be quie nice on a 2xN drive setup…

cookeaa
    jimr80
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys , i’ll have another go at it tonight.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bar congestion !! options needed’ is closed to new replies.