Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Banshee Spitfire?
  • mactheknife

I had a wee test ride at the weekend, not long enough to really get a feel for the bike but long enough to know i quite liked it.

I have a proper test ride booked soon but im just wondering if anyone on here has one and if so how do you find it. Im looking for an aggressive trail bike but the emphasis should be on trail so it needs to be a decent bike for pedalling.

Cheers all 🙂

ash.addy
    Free Member

I also like the look of these but not sure to go the Spitfire or rune route.

philfive
    Free Member

I have the Rune and it is a brilliant bike, it’s not gonna win uphill races but it’s just sublime pointing down. although for a big bike it pedals so well. I wouldn’t want to spend all day doing an XC style route with loads of long climbs but it’s great for days in the lakes where the reality is that you push the very steep climbs anyways, did a 3 hour calderdale ride on Monday and it was fine 😀

The Spitfire is essentially a mini Rune, same suspension set up etc. If I was you I’d get one with a CCDB and all the 2014 frames come with the Climb Switch version.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mmel
    Free Member

Hello, I’m a Spitfire owner. I’ve posted a bit about it over the last couple of days so if you want to see some pictures check out my previous.

I spent a really long time deliberating before I bought one. I originally wanted a Cotic Rocket and went test riding and loved it. Problem was they went out of stock this time last year and still are now. I therefore looked elsewhere and weighed up between the SB66 and the Spitfire. I liked the SB66 a lot but couldn’t justify the extra cost and favored the Spitfire’s versatility in that you could run either 650b or 26 wheels. The adjustable dropout positions meant tweaking handling as well, which appealed to my geeky engineering side.

So I went for a large 2014 Spitfire with the CCDB CS shock. I got a good deal combined with a new Pike fork, and was really well looked after by the chaps down at Blazing Bikes in Church Stretton.

I wanted the bike as a jack of all, I spend a lot of times at the Welsh trail centers but also get to the Peaks for natural all day rides. To that end it works very well. It peddles well, even with only 1×10 gearing, but it’s downhill that the bike works its best. It’s a long frame and the head angle is pretty slack so everything feels planted. Without doubt though, it’s the suspension that impresses most with the bike. It’s hard to describe but it soaks everything up without feeling wallowy and giving a bit of pop when you want. The CCDB is perfectly matched to the Pikes, and gives endless tuning potential if that’s your thing. If not then the base tune is very good, and if you leave it there for ever it will serve you very well.

The negatives, few thought there are, are that it is a bit on the heavy side (you could call it solid, or substantial feeling), and the complicated rear triangle collects mud and needs a bit of protecting from the chain even with a clutch mech.

It’s a great bike, I could go on about it all day and if I was choosing a new bike again now I’d still get a Spitty. Let me know if you need any more info.

batfink
    Free Member

I’m currently perving over a spifire too….

I know it’s not lighweight (and this isn’t really the point) but what weight is yours coming out at (with what build)?

goodgrief
    Free Member

I’m having a right laugh on mine, matched the ccdb with a bos deville which works very well although I might be tempted by a bos kirk in the future.
    It does pedal really well. Coming from an Orange Five, it never seemed that efficient even though it was lighter. There’s a bit of bob if you’re looking at the shock but otherwise it’s not noticeable and the pedal stroke just seems lovely and fluid rather than the lurching, one-stroke-at-a-time feeling some bikes have.
    I raced mine at the SDA Rd1 two weeks ago and got a pretty good result, a fraction off the top ten in masters although the track was certainly on the easier scale compared to some of the stages they used for the enduro yesterday!
    I’ve been using my old 26″ wheels so far with the 650b drop-outs. It doesn’t feel like a long bike and is lively but has stability to go fast. Just taken delivery of Light Bicycle 35mm 650b rims so once they are built will see if the trails come alive.

mmel
    Free Member

Oh, should add that I have 26 inch wheels on mine as well. I have a 650b fork so when I feel the need for my trails to come alive it’ll be an easy swap.

batfink
    Free Member

^ So that’s a 650B pike on yours mmel? Are you reunning the 650B dropouts too?

mmel
    Free Member

Yeah, 650b 150mm Pikes with 26 inch dropouts and wheels. It works well, with a bit of extra clearance above the front wheel…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rune and probably should have bought a Spitfire as it’s be better suited to most of my rides.

The KS Link suspension is really good; mine bobs a wee bit but it doesn’t feel like it’s sapping energy and is pretty damn plush for an air shock. The CCDBa is a worthwhile upgrade I think and matches my Devilles pretty well.

They are not the lightest but mine climbs just fine with 1×10 including on some long XC days out (not my normal cup of tea, but the bike was fine). The rear end does collect a bit of mud because of the various braces etc.

I got a good deal from Blazing Bikes too who I found pretty helpful. I’m a full on Banshee fan boy these days.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’ve got the previous generation and I love it, especially with a tuned Roco TST coil shock fitted. Does everything well but excels downhill.

theraggyone
    Free Member

Had my spitfire 10 months now and totally love it .the bike is great at most things and loves pointing downhill. It is a little heavy although it certainly doesnt feel it when ridden, my build wieghs in at a smidge over 30ib. They are very playfull bikes and I would have another in a heartbeat.the reverb coller is now black as I got a new one through warrenty:)

Unfortunately I havent riden it in 6 weeks since I broke my wrist at chicksands and had to have surgery. Im so desperate to ride her again but ive got a few weeks and some physio at least till I can:(

chiefgrooveguru

I wanted a bike that would be better than my 140mm hardtail (Cotic Soul) for uplift days, trips to Wales etc, and on the bigger local stuff (we’re in the South Downs but there’s a lot of official/cheeky DH with jumps and drops – some of it Whistler size!), whilst still being good enough at pedalling to enjoy slaying singletrack on fairly quick group rides or hooking up the more distant local descents with XC mileage.

After two months I can conclude it’s great at all of that! I’m quicker and more confident downhill and in the air and no slower uphill. My regular weekday evening ride tends to be about 3 hours of singletrack in the woods (often preceded by an hour of mini DH and pushing up) and I feel much less knackered than on the hardtail.

The only problem with the Spitfire is I know it wants to go a lot faster and bigger than I’m currently capable of! Hopefully the hardtail will come into its own when the mud returns because it feels a bit redundant right now…

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

I’m just building mine at the moment, but I’ve went for the ccdb shock and it will be built up with 650b wheels. I’ve went the x-fusion sweep up front (custom tuned from j-tech) which are 160mm although from what I’ve read on mtbr I may be better dropping them to 150mm but I guess I won’t know until I’ve been out and ridden it.

My last bike was a Meta 55 and it does feel a bit heavier as just the frame but running air forks upfront and a 1×10 will probably save me some weight overall when compared to the Meta as it had coil pikes and a double plus bash setup.

Once it’s built in a couple of weeks and I’ve been out on it I’ll post a proper review.

mactheknife

Thanks for all the info guys. Really looking forward to testing it now 🙂

mactheknife

Well, had my test ride and promptly put an order in. What a beauty of a bike. I was riding Laggan black like it was an easy red.

It was set up pretty much the same as i would have it luckily. Also it had a X-fusion shock which i was told beforehand was very good. I was prepared to dislike it but in all honesty it was awesome. So thats what i am going with.

Roll on the end of May 🙂

philfive
    Free Member

Excellent.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’m waiting patiently for mine. In the meantime I need to order up some bits, can you help with.

>- Seatpost size- is it 30.9mm?
    > Headset – do you need a low stacK?
    > Front mech is it a shimano e type?

Cheers

Shackleton

At the risk of sounding patronising all of the information you need is here.

but: yes (34.9 clamp), ZS44/ZS56 integral tapered headset, SRAM S3 low direct mount.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

cheers! for some reason i couldn’t see a couple of those tabs when I was looking at work. Damn IT. 😳

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Spent ages deciding on which frame and ended up with the spitfire and so glad I did now.

Just loves being ragged, mines under 30lb with reverb etc, climbs really well and goes down even better.

dingleberry
    Free Member

What height/inside leg is everyone and what size have you gone for?

I’m considering a medium at 5’10″/32″…

batfink
    Free Member

Spent ages deciding on which frame and ended up with the spitfire and so glad I did now.

Just loves being ragged, mines under 30lb with reverb etc, climbs really well and goes down even better.

That is seriously nice…. looks like the build spec (and even colour) that I’m thinking about – pleasantly surprised that it’s sneaking under 30lbs. Once I’ve finished paying for my wedding I might have to give-in and get one.

Bonus points for matching rim/fork decals 😀

Rockape
    Free Member

What’s the sizing like everybody I’m 6′ so maybe a large would suit me….. Does anyone know if there are any demo bikes around north lancs? 🙂 some really nice looking builds on here.

philfive
    Free Member

Rockape, I have a medium Rune and it wouldn’t fit a 6 ft bloke.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

That is seriously nice…. looks like the build spec (and even colour) that I’m thinking about – pleasantly surprised that it’s sneaking under 30lbs. Once I’ve finished paying for my wedding I might have to give-in and get one.

Bonus points for matching rim/fork decals

Fanks!

When I say under 30lb, it really is just under 30lb, that’s with saint pedals too. Never really bothered about weight, the Spitfire definitely pedals like it’s a lot lighter.

It’s 1×10 at the moment but I’ve got a week in the lakes with the family in the summer so will be going 2×10 for the long climbs but have just picked up some sixc cranks so I’m hoping to keep the weight down.

I’m 5’9″ / 32″ and it’s just right, I was on a small Trance x previous to the Spitfire, it did feel a bit too long at first but moving the saddle forward and after a few rides it felt spot on.

I’m your average rider but it does egg you on to go faster.

tricky-dicky
    Free Member

Rockape I’d say large, at 6ft with average length arms and legs they are a great fit for me. In the North the nearest might be Pedals in Edinburgh, the lads there are really helpful and I am sure would help you out with a demo, but I think they tend to just have medium builds for demo, you’d need to check with them.
    Richard

philfive
    Free Member

There is a demo day on the 15th June with EDS Cycles.

Details are on Banshees Facebook page.

mindmap3
    Free Member

At 6 foot I’d go large too.

I’m a smidge under and have a large Rune and it feels spot on.

AlexSimon

Thanks for the heads-up phil. Just spoke with them. If I haven’t managed to get a demo before then, I’ll probably make the trip. Seems hard to get a demo on a banshee.
    (I think there is a demo this weekend in Afan too).

merynella
    Free Member

Yes, Skyline Cycles told me last Saturday they’d have the Spitfire at their demo day this weekend and that they are about to become a Banshee dealer.

kjrogers

Thought I’d post a picture of my new Spitfire. Managed to get a raw frame and love the finish on it. Built up with Pikes, Halo Vapour wheels and a mix of SLX and XT. Love the way it rides.

AlexSimon

Looks fantastic – nicely specced.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Spitfire?’ is closed to new replies.