Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Banshee Rune or Spitfire?
  • jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Aha. That’s what I’ve said. Wondered if you tried them and found they were all right for a bit. Think I’ll just have to get it and get the tyres. Cheers philfive.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

I’m waiting patiently for a spitfire. In the meantime I need to order up some bits, can you help with.

>- Seatpost size- is it 30.9mm?
    > Headset – do you need a low stacK?
    > Front mech is it a shimano e type?

Cheers

mindmap3
    Free Member

That Orange is lovely.

Saw another Rune in the wild at the weekend. A lady turned up at Eastridge on a green one with Pikes and the new Mavic wheels. Got to say it looked the tits! Still loving mine.

Lobby – the post is a 30.9 and the headset a low stack internal thing. I have a Hope one that eats bearings. Front me is are direct mount jobbies. The SRAM ones seem to cause loads of issues fitting wise whereas the Shimano ones tend to play ball.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

cheers mindmap. I was looking at the hope headsets, but I may look elsewhere now.

chiefgrooveguru

I have a Hope one that eats bearings.

That’s worrying! I have a Hope headset on mine – chosen because the standard 1 1/8 external Hope on my other bike is still perfect after 3 years of all weather riding and no maintenance.

mindmap3
    Free Member

It’s the lower bearings that don’t seem to last very long – headset is snugged up nicely (no play and not cranked up like a gorilla). The sealing on the race seems pretty crap though. Every time I drop the forks there is loads of grit / mud / crap that has made its way beyond the seal of the fork race. I don’t jet wash either.

I was thinking of swapping to a King as / when I can afford it but they don’t see to get the best reviews.

Hope offered to waranty the bearings but wanted the headset cups which I decided was more hassle than it was worth because I don’t have a 1.5 inch press.

generallevi
    Free Member

mindmap3:

Was this the Rune you saw:

[/URL]

That would be my wife Fay’s bike. It’s a weapon. Malaga DH, big days in Wales, even an appearance at Peatys Steel City DH yesterday where she took 8th out of 52 females. Bike excels in so many areas. Keep an eye out for Fay at the World Enduro Peebles on this in a couple of weeks. Oh, bike weight is bang on 29lbs with this build.

All the best,
    Lee.

philfive
    Free Member

Well I broke mine yesterday…. well ok the Shock air seal went….booooooo

mindmap3
    Free Member

Lee…thought I recognised it but didn’t want to come across all forum stalker especially as she was riding on her tod. The green is the pick of colours for me this year. I wanted fluro yellow but couldn’t get pastiche green decals because in not an Aussie!

Phil is your shock off to TFT who do all the warranty work for CC?

philfive
    Free Member

It is mate, sent it off yesterday, I’ve taken this chance to re route my stealth dropper so it goes all the way into the seat tube. word of warning it’s 426mm from top of the seat tube to the stealth cable entry point.

philfive
    Free Member

Jimmy, have you had the new bike?

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Been wanting to say yes for some time……. It’s coming this Friday, mix up after stock problem after mix up it’s finally built and being sent for when I get home. Can’t wait to bolt my pedals to it and actually ride the thing.
    Still, it’s in time for going Edinburgh for August. Do any of you have any recommendations for the trails round there? Are Glentress and Innerleithen closest? Hoping there might be some clubs that go down, I won’t be driving while I’m there… Any local knowledge? Monkeyninja do you live in Scotland? If so, any recommendations?
    I’ll post a pic up when it gets to me on Friday…

mindmap3
    Free Member

I really enjoyed Glentress. I know its a trail centre and they’re swearwords on STW, but it was just great fun. The blue was a hoot too. I ever made it to Inners unfortunately.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Nice one mindmap3, thank you. Yeah, that’s part of why I’m asking, local knowledge of trails is always a bonus. Can’t wait to get my bike – this is usually where philfive posts a picture up 😕

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

jimmyjuju- did you get your bike?

philfive
    Free Member

I hope so otherwise I’m gonna post a picture of mine 🙂

Sui
    Free Member

Mines being built up right now 8)

https://www.facebook.com/headhillsbikeshop

mindmap3
    Free Member

Mines in my car ready to be ridden later – its in silly mode ready for Antur on Sunday.

Dual ply DH tyes, no dropper and in the slackest setting.

philfive
    Free Member

Still haven’t had mine in anything but the middle setting.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Finally here. Getting out on it tonight hopefully.

Thanks fellas for all the advice and quality salesmanship, can’t wait to bounce it down a mountain. Got plenty of clearance with 26″ dropouts and 650b wheels, Continental Trail King 2.2s out the back.

Awesome…

philfive
    Free Member

very, very nice, so 26″ dropouts would shorten the wheelbase?

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Yep that’s the intent, it’s a bit higher (10mm I think) but keeps the wheelbase a bit shorter for getting off the ground. To be fair when in its sag it seems plenty low enough. It’s a weird sensation getting on it, 650b wheels are noticeably taller- thought I might not even notice.
    It’s a beast of a bike, looks like it’ll take it all on.
    Going up Machen Masts tonight, local downhill trail that motocross boys use. If I die, I’ll look stealthy when I go.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Any of you played about with the CCDB shock at all? Heard a few people backing off the high speed rebound to give it a bit more pop off the ground, other people putting on a bit more low speed compression damping for a similar effect?

philfive
    Free Member

I have the CS version so i have set it with a bit less LSC (2 clicks) to make it more supple as i can turn on the CS to firm it up for climbs.

interesting issue I have.

With the CS off I struggle on the local pump track at lee quarry but with it on I sail around it, just shows the effect that the added LSR and LSC has on the bike.

the base setting is very good though so give that a try first, also wouldn’t adding LSR give it more of a pop?

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

First ride done. F*cking awesome. Can’t believe how well it pedals, jumps great, traction is incredible. The level of confidence it gave me was directly proportional to the size of my lips after I crashed.
    Glad I went with the Rune. Will play about with the shock another time…

philfive
    Free Member

hahahahaha glad you like it, I found the base tune really good.

AlexSimon

You said the 27.5″ wheel in a 26″ dropout raises the back end a bit.
    Did you not fancy using the dropout chips in low mode to compensate?

I guess the bikes are already pretty low and slack, so maybe it would be overkill, but at least you can try!

Bike looks ace btw.

jimmyjuju
    Free Member

Thanks both.
    AlexSimon, I hadn’t thought of that to be honest- I told myself to reserve judgement until I’d ridden it as numbers don’t really tell the whole story; it’s definitely low enough for what I was riding, needed to time pedaling etc.
    The difference in terms of confidence was what blew me away the most, instead of trying to float over roots or pick a line through stuff I just gapped the lot. Cannot wait to try it on an uplift- more bites of the cherry…
    Philfive did you go to Antur on yours? Or am I imagining that?

philfive
    Free Member

yep, it’s done a few races, been to Antur, Hamsterley and is off to forest of dean soon.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Glad you like it.

I’ve been really happy with mine. It’s fine two trips to Antur, BPW, Stile Cop, Glentress, CYB, ‘Degla etc and has worked at them all. The only thing holding it back is, er me!

I’m not too far away from the base tube – slightly more high speed rebound to control g outs / big hits and a wee bit more low speed compression to give a better pedalling platform as I don’t have the climb switch. Seems to match my Devilles pretty well.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Quick question on the dropout sizes. For the 26″ do they come in 135mm or is it 142mm and are they 10mm only? I can’t seem to find the sizes anywhere- but if you look at the Banshee website the Raw Spitfire frame appears to have 26″ QR dropouts.

mindmap3
    Free Member

They can be either but I think the stock drop ours are 142x12mm bolt through jobbies.

monkeyninja
    Free Member

You can get 135mm dropouts and use either standard qr or 10mm with that. I use this options as it fitted with my hubs. According to keith the designer, there is minimal differences between the 135 and 142mm axles in terms of lateral stiffness, as the back end of the frame is a solid triangle. It feels solid to me and I weigh 14st

goodgrief
    Free Member

The 26″ and 650b dropouts aim to keep the same geometry so with the larger wheels you get a taller bottom bracket height.

I found the switch to 650b quite noticeable as I had my spitfire set up 26″ for a few months. The taller position had me worried for a couple of rides but it soon feels normal. Running more sag on the shock helps.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Rune or Spitfire?’ is closed to new replies.