Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Banshee Phantom – will it buff out or replace with Prime?
  • Shackleton

So………….anybody have experience of Banshee crash replacement policy? I’ve started the process but would like to hear about real world experiences.

Can I choose any model? What is the cost? Given that the Phantom snapped I would like to go up to the Prime but…………my large Phantom already felt a little short in reach (450mm, 50mm stem, 68deg HA) and, with the slacker HA (67) on the Prime, I would probably want a shorter stem.

I’m 6ft with long arms and 34″ inside leg. An XL prime with 35mm stem is only 20mm longer than my Phantom so sounds like it would be OK. Can anyone comment on whether an XL Prime would be too big for me to fit a 150mm dropper? It’s hard to work out from the website.

Cheers,

S

wwaswas

posting from dropbox can be a problem – you really need a public image that ends .jpg or .gif to post. you don’t need an account to use imgur – it’s just drag and drop

Shackleton

Ta. I used to use TinyPic but it doesn’t seem to work with the forum anymore. Have changed to imgur.

cubist
    Free Member

I’d just duck tape that back together and carry on 😉

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Afternoon, prime user here. I’m on a large. Same height with shorter legs with a 50mm stem and 150mm dropper. I have about 40mm to play with in the seat tube, but the XL seat tube is 50mm taller. I think it would likely fit the 150 dropper with not much to spare, but it’s too close to call without measuring!

Akers

Don’t forget that if you get a Prime frame instead of a Phantom under crash replacement you’re going to need a longer shock and either a longer airshaft for your current fork or a longer, burlier fork altogether.

Sui
    Free Member

crash replacement comes with a shock, well my spitty did.

Shackleton

Cheers all, I have MRP Stage forks which can be set from 120-150 mm internally and my current ccdb air IL could be changed in length if required.

Sui – what deal did you get?

transition1
    Free Member

The Banshee Prime is 500mm seat tube? I am same height with 32” inside leg & run an XL Smuggler 495mm seat tube with 170mm reverb no issues with 165mm cranks. Mine is 483mm reach & run 50mm stem, I have long torso & arms

teethgrinder

They’ll offer 50% off a new one. Or at least Ison will. 2 year warranty is shit these days.

I ended up claiming on the house insurance when my Spitfire snapped.

chiefgrooveguru

How did you snap it?!!

“with the slacker HA (67) on the Prime, I would probably want a shorter stem.”

Not necessarily. Every time I try a shorter stem than 50mm I end up reverting to 50mm. I’ve had 50mm stems on my Soul (68 deg and 26″ wheels), Spitfire (63.5-66.5 deg and 27.5″ wheels – dropout adjustments plus anglesets), Zero AM (65-66.5 and 27.5″ wheels – different length forks and anglesets) and now Levo (65 deg and 29″ wheels).

I have about 34″ legs and ran a 170mm Reverb (480mm total length) on a 430mm seat tube medium Spitfire and a 185mm Revive (485mm total length) on a 450mm seat tube large Spitfire. 150mm Reverb on a 500mm seat tube should be ok.

scruff
    Free Member

Im just under 6ft on an XL spitfire, theres about 10mm left top of seat tube to 150mm dropper.

Shackleton

Cheers gents. Just have to wait for the response from pedals in Edinburgh now.

Poopscoop

Blimey op, hope you didn’t get hurt in that stack??!

jca

Looks fine to me…the ‘reinforcing’ gear cables and brake lines seem to be doing their job…

Shackleton

Chiefgrooveguru – Amusingly enough I was pretty much JRA! I was riding down a smooth grassy slope towards the car when I heard a bang. I assumed rock strike so rode the 30 yds to the gate, stopped, looked for rock damage and noticed the gap. I can only assume that it is 5 years of fatigue coupled with bad luck.

Poopscoop -Nno stack involved thankfully otherwise I think I’d have a few holes in me! Cheers for the concern!

Sui
    Free Member

Dont remember it being 50 % though just under a grand sounds familiar.

Poopscoop

Poopscoop -Nno stack involved thankfully otherwise I think I’d have a few holes in me! Cheers for the concern!

Good to hear bud.👍

teethgrinder

My Spitfire snapped at 21 months old, but it was already a warranty replacement for the previous one which was out of alignment. Still shit that a 21mo frame snapped.

Barclays bike insurance paid out for it.

tdog
    Free Member

Shiate! Best minty colour too 😢😢

GavinB

XL Prime here. I’m running a 35-40mm stem, 160mm Pikes and 170mm Reverb. I didn’t really rate the stock shock (Cane Creek no longer an option, so they all come with Monarch Plus). Swapped in a CC Coil Inline after a year or so.

Shackleton

Cheers GavinB – how tall are you with what length arms and legs?

chiefgrooveguru

Do you still have your broken frame with the 150mm Reverb at your pedalling height? Measure the distance between seat clamp and Reverb collar and then you’ll have a definitive answer on if an XL Prime will fit. You need at least 17mm.

GavinB

I’m 6’3″/189cm. Long legs though (hence the 170mm post). There’s about 30-40mm of seatpost showing above the top of the seat tube (if that helps).

Shackleton

150 reverbs didn’t exist when I bought mine! I’ll measure tonight but I assume I need 42mm of post below the collar (25+17). I’m not wanting another reverb so are most other droppers the same basic dimensions?

Offer (presumably Ison sets this) is 50% off RRP but you don’t get the shock. For some reason this irritates me. You pay for 50% of the shock but don’t get any shock. So it is really 1/3 off the frame only price (assuming a prime at £1750 and monarch plus at £450 full RRP). If they said 50% off a frame only (assume RRP of £1300 for prime or phantom) I’d be happy with that. I know crash replacement (not that this was even a crash, just straight out failure) isn’t to be sniffed at but it leaves a bit of a sour taste in the mouth.

chiefgrooveguru

“150 reverbs didn’t exist when I bought mine! I’ll measure tonight but I assume I need 42mm of post below the collar (25+17). I’m not wanting another reverb so are most other droppers the same basic dimensions?”

The better droppers have less stack height from the collar and seat clamp. The Revive ones are very nice (but expensive). Heard good things about One-Up too.

Shackleton

Cheers, will look at the revive and on-up. Have heard both mentioned favorably before.

Shackleton

I stand corrected. Replacement is 50% off frame only. So a great deal all in all for a new frame (Thanks to Pedals in Edinburgh for sorting this out and putting me right).

Shackleton

Pedals in Edinburgh came through, built the bike up and took it for a weekend thrash round GT to bed in. According to strava I got PBs on every descent and most climbs. I like this bike.

Poopscoop

^^ very nice. Glad it all came good in the end mate.👍

Shackleton

Cheers, very pleased with it. Went XL in the end despite only being 6ft and it was the right call (along with a -1deg headset going in after the first ride not feeling quite right).

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Banshee Phantom – will it buff out or replace with Prime?’ is closed to new replies.