Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Banner Elk, USA – best way to get there?
  • london_lady
    Free Member

Has anyone been to Banner Elk in North Carolina? If so what would be the best way to get there? I am thinking BA from Healthrow to Atlanta, Delta airlines from Atlanta to Tri-Cities regional airport and then hire car. Can I take bikes on internal ammerican flights?

nathaneddy
    Free Member

we flew to Florida after easter and were charged for extra bags on the internal leg of the flight because we had a 24 hour layover en-route. I’d expect you’d pay to fly with a bike internally, best to check with airline directly. Our extra bags were $50 apiece.
    Are there no direct flights to Tri-Cities?
    Enjoy the trip.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’d fly H’row to Raleigh Durham then hire a car, its about a 3 hr drive and would save you clearing customs and having to check in to take another flight, plus additonal charges on an internal. American Airlines fly direct on the route and are the best of the American carriers IME

konabunny
    Free Member

American Airlines to Raleigh-Durham and then 3.5 hours drive?

london_lady
    Free Member

US airways go from Heathrow to Philidelphia to TriCities but they charge $200 each way per bike (if over 157cm tall). I am beginning to think that flying to Atlanta would be best and have a couple of days driving to Banner Elk. Still not cheap though.

london_lady
    Free Member

Where is Raleigh-Durham?

midlifecrashes

US Airways fly LGW to Charlotte(their main east coast hub), which according to Google is 117 miles away, so a three hour drive or so. Service was very good too on US Airways when we went at Easter (changed in Charlotte on the way to Orlando).

london_lady
    Free Member

Got it – American airlines to Raleigh Durham – £432 return but land at 02.50am!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

2.45pm? I’d also recommend speaking to your local Trailfinders they usually have good discounts with AA

TooTall
    Free Member

Either the flight to Charlotte or to Raleigh-Durham. If you do a multi-leg journey, do not ‘mix and match’ airlines – stick with the alliances. If you don’t, you can find it problematic to rectify a delay or missed connection.

Just use Kayak.com (or similar) and punch in R_D and Charlotte as destinations and let it tell you the cheapest / best options.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Banner Elk, USA – best way to get there?’ is closed to new replies.