Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Banksy Riot Art
  • KonaTC

Just seen Banksys latest artwork a petrol bomb and a Tesco value bottle

As ever topical and right on the money, although local MP Stephen Williams branded it “grossly irresponsible”. Tesco said “we’re sure Banksy is not advocating violence”

bigyinn
    Free Member

“Grossly irresponsible” WTF? So cows sliced in half and preserved in a glass case is ok (I know thats Damien Hurst, but you get my point). Its a picture, not a call to arms.
    Thats what I love about sections modern society, some people feel they need to condemn it, whilst others feel the need to explain it further.
    ITS A PICTURE, NOTHING MORE FFS. 👿

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I don’t get it

bluebird
    Free Member

Me neither.

Moses

Banksy is a Bristolian.
    A few days ago there was a small riot protesting at the opening of a new Tesco Metro in an inner-city area of Bristol where there are a number of small local shops.
    It is suggested that the police incited the riot by raiding a nearby multi-occupancy house.

backhander
    Free Member

multi-occupancy house.

😀

Stokes Croft aint takin no shit.

nickjb
    Free Member

This has appeared a few doors up from the new Tesco, too

andy_hamgreen

Stokes Crusties I’ve heard them referred to as….

Torminalis
    Free Member

I used to live on Stokes Croft and it is a genuinely exciting place to live, you never know what is going to happen when you go outside.

TooTall
    Free Member

you never know what is going to happen when you go outside.

Annoyed by an achingly cool hipster with an art project, annoyed by a trustafarian who is too cool for school or ranted at by a drunk. The last time I walked up there I saw a bloke having a really vocal disagreement with a wall – which he lost.

Or you might bump into someone linked with the Bristol Bike Project and that would make you a better person and brighten your day because they are one of the best things in Bristol, never mind just Stokes Croft.

http://www.thebristolbikeproject.org/

binners

you never know what is going to happen when you go outside.

Salford 6 was very like that. I never regarded that as a good thing though

Torminalis
    Free Member

I never regarded that as a good thing though

I never said it was a good thing, just exciting!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stokes Croft is great fun and not as full as, what the **** do the condescending classes call them again, “trustafarians” as some would have you believe.

The Bristol Bike Project is one many many great things about Bristol.

But recently, a load of people saying “No, **** off Tesco, we don’t want one of your shitty shops here” has been a highlight.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I used to live in Jamaica Street (just off of Stokes Croft) it was a great place to live as an 18 year old, wouldn’t touch it with a shitty stick now I’m in my 40s.

CountZero

I was wondering if I could get down to Brissle Saturday morning and nab one. I love Banksy’s work.

redthunder
    Free Member

Basically Banksy is a bit shite [anyone can stencil]. DBK is where it’s at at 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I agree with redthunder re Banksy being a bit shite. Complete plagiarist and a massive hypocrite really. His work is absolutely nothing special at all, and there are loads of graffiti artists who are far more talented. Banksy is just really good at getting into bed with ‘The Man’ and turning the myth into money.

Bet he’s peeing himself over this Tory MP giving him loads of free publicity though….

Moses

I disagree.
    The Banksy exhibition a couple of years ago was the first art exhibition which made me laugh out loud; it had both excellent execution and some really good ideas behind the artwork.
    He is an artist for our times, with both expensive originals for the rich and cheap prints for the poor(er). He produces democratic art.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Basically Banksy is a bit shite [anyone can stencil].

but isn’t art about more than technical skill?

Kevevs
    Free Member

I’m scared.

rp16v
    Free Member

being a stokes croft commuter most mornings even at 7.30 u still get the randoms out and about

tootall get the bike project guys in to pick up suplies fortnightley always up for a natter 😀

Kevevs
    Free Member

trying too hard, not very good visual jokes, stolen ideas and style, pretending to be anti corporate, sell-out punk ass bullshit hypocrite whore millionaire. Very driven, focused and determined. Good businessman.

Got our attention though. I admire the guy.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its a picture, not a call to arms.

You might be smart enough to spot that, but there are many stupid swampyalikes who will see it as JUST that.

Never found banksy stuff to be even remotely interesting though, so WGAF?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like his stuff. Who are these other artists he plaguerises? I might like their stuff too. Linky?

roper
    Free Member

Blek le Rat
    He really was a one off and personally I find his work much more interesting.

_tom_
    Free Member

Anyone seen Exit Through The Gift Shop? Interesting street art film 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

These are good IMO:

Blek has disagreed with those who claim Banksy has copied his work: “People say he copies me, but I don’t think so. I’m the old man, he’s the new kid, and if I’m an inspiration to an artist that good, I love it. I feel what he is doing in London is similar to the rock movement in the Sixties.

I credit Banksy with brightening up Bristol quite a lot. Why is he a “hypocrite”?

CHB

Love Banksy. Very funny and well observed stuff.

yunki
    Free Member

good satire presented in a way that the youf can identify with.. making it a good concept.. In fact.. the whole concept of an underground street artist making it big is very rock n roll.. and very in keeping with the era.. so it’s actually a great concept.. which is what contempory art is sadly all about..

I was painting graf back in the late 80s and some of the older lads knew Banksy.. Inkie.. etc
    All any of us wanted was to express our message to a wider audience and earn some cash..
    so Banksy is a winner then..

sockpuppet

The last time I walked up there I saw a bloke having a really vocal disagreement with a wall – which he lost.

once you’ve got as far as that, there aren’t really any winning moves though, are there?

Moses

Shheesh.
    I did go down to Stokes Croft to buy a poster for Mrs M – by 11am the queue was around the block. Early arrivers were allowed to buy 5 posters, then it was reduced to 2, then 1 each. By 12;30 they were on ebay for £150.

I wonder if the revenue from eBay sales will go to the Anarchist Book Shop?

willard

Where’s Stokes Croft in relation to Montpelleier? I used to live at the top of of that, but never really went anywhere by to Bond Street through St. Pauls.

Shows how much I cared about the city when I was working there… Bloody contractors

ridingscared
    Free Member

To the right of Mont. Its a shithole with a few decent bars and cafes, a knocking shop and a shedload of druggies and alkies that you can look at when you sit behind the big fence in Canteen drinking your fairtrade Chardonnay.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve counted over 40 different auctions for the poster on EBay – many of them also have multiples.

I am sure the anarchists struck a blow for something today. I had wondered what the queue was all about when I went past today.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

Or you might bump into someone linked with the Bristol Bike Project and that would make you a better person and brighten your day because they are one of the best things in Bristol, never mind just Stokes Croft.

Aw, thanks!

Mikeypies
    Free Member

redthunder you are being too suble and local as elf dosnt know about DBK and his drivel that is plastered all over west Bristol. The sooner he gets caught and dealt with the better

Basically Banksy is a bit shite [anyone can stencil]. DBK is where it’s at at

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Banksy Riot Art’ is closed to new replies.