Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Banksy…
  • the-muffin-man
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Not really. I think it’s very refreshing he doesn’t try and profit personally. As the piece is painted on the wall of a private property the owner is entitled to sell it. It’s against the Banksy spirit as his work is supposed to be seen in situ and isn’t for a museum / private collection / sale but there you go. He puts it out into the public domain and doesn’t try and possess it.

jambourgie
    Free Member

His work definitely shows up the selfishness of society. Rather than leave it for the community to enjoy, the owners of the building have boarded it up so they can sell it. Sad really.

I wonder what he thinks about the fact that his amazing subversive art is enabling grasping greedy sods to get richer.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

I wonder what he thinks about the fact that his amazing subversive art is enabling grasping greedy sods to get richer.

since his art is generally about pointing out the ugliness of this society i figure showing peoples greed comes under the remit of what he is trying to achieve

binners

That stands as the perfect comment on the society we now live in. Dwelling as it does on ownership and monetary value, without feeling the need to comment on the subject matter, which appears secondary to the point of being an irrelevance. The price of everything and the value of nothing!

Which I suspect is exactly what he intended. Mission accomplished. And the very polar opposite of the Damian Hursts and Tracy Emmins of this sceptic isle.

andyrm
    Free Member

I love the irony and message of Banksy’s work – if you like the subversive messages, social commentary and general cheekiness of his work, you’ll also love 3Dom as well……

https://www.facebook.com/3dom22

sgn23
    Free Member

They have 2 private security guards watching over it tonight. There’s been nothing required previously. Lots of people are not happy with the landlord’s action.

Mackem

He’s just a vandal.

Speeder

It belongs where it is, “the landlord” is being very shortsighted and instead of selling a building with a genuine Banksy attached they’re getting someone to rip it off and sell it but as what? It doesn’t really mean anything out of context.

Oh and

He’s just a vandal.

Decided that c*ck was a bit harsh and not a particularly constructive comment. I can see how you would confuse him with one as he does use the same modus operandi as a common vandal but the quality of the social comment and the artistic merit elevate it to a much higher plain.

grahamh
    Free Member

This is on my daily commute be it on bike or in the car, it would be a shame for it to go in this way.

They have 2 private security guards watching over it tonight.

Bet the feckers are still parked on the pavement as they where this morning.

Mackem

Decided that c*ck was a bit harsh and not a particularly constructive comment. I can see how you would confuse him with one as he does use the same modus operandi as a common vandal but the quality of the social comment and the artistic merit elevate it to a much higher plain.

his “art” is little better than found in comic books. His social commentary isnt anything different to many others who are happy to put their name to their cause.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

“I’ve drawn a rat with a briefcase and umbrella because I feel that we’re all living in a bit of a rat race”

Gary_C

his amazing subversive art

Err…Graffiti you mean? 🙄

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Binners, nail on head fella.

iain1775
    Free Member

Surely without the phone box and satellite dish it’s meaningless, the surroundings are part of the ‘art’ take it away from these and it reverts to just a piece of graffiti
    Like Van Goch’s sunflowers without the vase, or The Scream without the red sky, by removing it they are surely doing the equivalent of cutting up a painting?

samuri
    Free Member

It’s the most hilarious shit going. The naivety around ‘banksy’ is brilliant. It’s wonderful marketing. Whoever is behind it is a genius. Yeah, it’s just one bloke. You’d have to be mad to think that. There’s a ‘banksy’ under the bridge I go through between Wigan and Warrington and there’s one in New York. But the same bloke is doing them all. Yeah, right. He’s quite busy isn’t he?

Lets look at another one. ‘He’s’ not making money.’ That’s better than the first. ‘Banksy’ art has been selling for many years, for very high amounts. If Banksy was one person he’s a multi-millionaire.

Here’s a more likely proposition. Create a corporation, call it errrrrm, ‘banksy’. Artificially create ‘art’ , assign this to people and send them out around the world. You don;t have to put to much effort in because people will copy you immediately. Do a bit of marketing and dig the media like the daily mail every now and again when you think your profile is dropping off. OK, you’re popular. Start selling canvasses for a million dollars at at time.

Bingo, your business model has worked.

CountZero

his “art” is little better than found in comic books. His social commentary isnt anything different to many others who are happy to put their name to their cause.

Well, considering the extraordinary quality of the work found in most current comics, that’s hardly a criticism.

It’s the most hilarious shit going. The naivety around ‘banksy’ is brilliant. It’s wonderful marketing. Whoever is behind it is a genius. Yeah, it’s just one bloke. You’d have to be mad to think that. There’s a ‘banksy’ under the bridge I go through between Wigan and Warrington and there’s one in New York. But the same bloke is doing them all. Yeah, right. He’s quite busy isn’t he?

You do realise that Banksy works only turn up every few months, and take only a few hours to create, and he spends time travelling around, so ‘busy’ is entirely relative, isn’t it, you don’t seem to understand how quick his paintings can be done.
    It wouldn’t be difficult for him to do something in Bristol, London, and New York in the space of three or four days, his stencils are pre-cut, he just needs spray cans.
    I suggest you have a look at some of the really big works, like those in Nelson Street, Bristol; some really huge ones still only took a couple of days to paint, how long does it take to tape up a stencil and spray it?

CountZero

I believe this one took a couple of days by one bloke:

How long would it take to stencil something under a bridge in Wigan, travel to New York, and do another there?
    48 hours? There’s usually a couple of months gap, or longer, before a new one is noticed, same as most grafitti by established artists.

gears_suck
    Free Member

Art is subjective and therefore all of your comments are equally valid.
    Great isn’t it? You’re all arguing over each other’s right to your own opinion.
    It’s ridiculous to tell someone that what they like is shit, or stupid because you don’t like it.
    God Bless.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Bingo, your business model has worked.

Genius isn’t it?

yunki
    Free Member

Banksy has worked miracles in getting countless numbers of very talented people recognised that might otherwise have still been going about their business in a criminal penniless way, just as they have been doing since the mid 80s.. The market has been blown wide open..

The simple fact that Banksy’s work has been so popular with such a broad spectrum marks it out as pretty extraordinary.. A handful of disgruntled misanthropes on aforum or two maybe, but you’re bound to get snags..

Art for the people!

**** ace

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Art is subjective and therefore all of your comments are equally valid.

Too true.
    For me he has all the social comment of a Fred Basset cartoon in the Daily Mail.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I like Banksy. But I think folk should check out Blek le Rat before getting too gushing about his stile and originality.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I own a Banksy. Bought it 16 years ago as a student for a grand. Quite happy now

yunki
    Free Member

For me he has all the social comment of a Fred Basset cartoon in the Daily Mail.

but that’s only half the story innit?

If Alex Graham had been sneaking around under the cover of darkness spraying his cartoons onto walls to delight and unnerve and thrill the public maybe he would have done a bit better

the Banksy thing oozes integrity which makes it a very slick package

But I think folk should check out Blek le Rat before getting too gushing about his stile and originality.

you never see them two in the same room do you…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ouch. “stile”

Sorry. 😳

lemonysam
    Free Member

Here’s a more likely proposition. Create a corporation, call it errrrrm, ‘banksy’. Artificially create ‘art’ , assign this to people and send them out around the world. You don;t have to put to much effort in because people will copy you immediately. Do a bit of marketing and dig the media like the daily mail every now and again when you think your profile is dropping off. OK, you’re popular. Start selling canvasses for a million dollars at at time.

You realise that your conspiracy theory sounds like it would be more effort than just doing the works in the first place?

Mackem

You realise that your conspiracy theory sounds like it would be more effort than just doing the works in the first place?

but the the work wpuld be worth far less. If you build up a bit of hype, get the cool kids into it then your work is worth far more. If his work was simply presented in a gallery then he would have very little attention (=worth).

Saying all that, for all I know Banksy is already an established, successful artist. I guess a google search could tell me.

yunki
    Free Member

grum
    Free Member

If his work was simply presented in a gallery then he would have very little attention (=worth).

Um…. yes that’s kind of the whole point.

Mackem

Um…. yes that’s kind of the whole point.

I know. Cheers.

nickjb
    Free Member

If his work was simply presented in a gallery then he would have very little attention

Good point 🙄

300,000 in a few weeks
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/8230301.stm

And when one new piece went on display
    http://www.itv.com/news/west/update/2014-04-19/hundreds-queue-in-bristol-to-see-banksy/

The queue for his exhibition in Bristol

Mackem

.. but that’s only after making his name thru having hi art on the street. But I’m sure you realised that.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Banksy…’ is closed to new replies.