Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bangkok – please reccomend some budget accommodation
  • MadBillMcMad

Hi all,

I know there are about 10 zillion places to stay.

Please can you reccomend somewhere OK at a sensible budget.
    We have a few nights before winging over to Burma.

Thx.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bangkok

MadBillMcMad

indeed

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thestabiliser
    Free Member

Have you considered working your passage?

finbar
    Free Member

Bangkok is one of the cheapest places in the world to stay in 5* luxury, or at least it was when I was there about five years ago. I can’t remember the name of one of the places we stayed but it had a pillow menu, a swimming pool on the roof and was about £35 a night on some crazy deal.

nickjb
    Free Member

We stayed at Rambuttri House which is on Rambuttri Street/Alley. Clean, nice enough and cheap. Good breakfast. Plenty more hotels on this street. This is one street over from Khao San Road which is the main back packer and tourist street (I wouldn’t want to stay right on this road but it’s good to be near it). Lots of cheap but nice hotels and loads of places to eat. Very lively in the evening. A bit touristy but in an alternative sort of way. Its a good central location for walking or tuk-tuk to the good sights.

You can also get the train from the airport to quite close by (just taxi the last bit if you have luggage) making it good for transits.

davedodd
    Free Member

Century Park at the Victory Monument is great, as is the Rembrandt at Sukhumvit. Both personally recommended.

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

not been to BKK for a good few years now but spend months living there and you cannot go wrong with ko San road.
    It’s a laugh and don’t book just get a cab from the airport and have a look round and walk in to the one you fancy.
    Some of them D and D have pools on the roof and sun decks etc. Lots of others in the same area too.
    Again this was years ago but a higher class one still on the crazy ko San was buddy lodge.
    As I said I lived there for a while on my own, I loved how mental the city was, busy/traffic/pollution but I loved it.

leebaxter
    Free Member

On my many visits to Bangkok, i have found the Lamphu tree house to the best. Its about £30 a night though. A bit beyond backpacker budget.

TheFlyingOx

I’d avoid the Khaosan Palace if I were you. We stayed a couple of nights and then when checking out to get a connecting flight they suddenly produced some torn bedsheets and towels from under the desk and refused to hand back our passports until we’d paid $100 for the damage. It didn’t matter that we’d only left our room, complete with undamaged bed linen/towels, about 30 seconds earlier. Bloody rob dogs.

disco_stu
    Free Member

This place was good when I went 2 years ago, its a few minutes walk from teh Khao San Rd.

HOME

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

D and D inn on Ko San road is a good bet.
    Cheap and good basic accommodation.
    Thanks,
    Max

walla24
    Free Member

Aiya residence
    BIG clean swimming pool and amazing food….always upgrade you on arrival

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Buddy lodge on kho san road if you can stretch the budget a bit. Couple of years ago we had a twin room for £15 each a night. Has a roof top pool and bar to relax and escape the chaos

MadBillMcMad

thx all,

we were there 20 years ago but no idea where we stayed.
    Looking forwrad to the trip.

mrchrispy

we always used this place.

http://www.asiahotel.co.th/asia_bangkok.htm

not the usual backpacker gaff but well positioned. cheep and clean (at least it was 10 years ago :-))….actually just looking at the pictures it hasnt changed a bit. that’d make it amesomely retro now 😀

right next to the skytrain, short walk to the MBK center and also next to the river so you can get a longtail river boat down to democracy monument followed by a shot tuk tuk ride down to the khao san road

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Define sensible as Bangkok and Thailand is stilk relatively cheap. We’ve used New Siam and New Siam 2 off Rambuttri several times, so cheap you can have non-aircon rooms if you want to save a few quid but has a pool and decent priced food.

Lots of stuff near but not on Koh San Rd (which is like benidorm or Blackpool in it’s tackiness), so Rambuttri a better shout unless you really want that backpacker experience.

Stayed at Chillax last year, a step up from New Siam and similar budget fare but the name made me wince 😉

And it’s not called Burma anymore 😉 We did a week on a live-aboard diving ‘Burmese’ islands last year, their move towards democracy means they are opening up to tourism much more now but still decades behind Thailand etc in terms of being developed/exploited/spoilt (not being a traveller snob as we love Thailand and seem to go back every 2 years).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bangkok – please reccomend some budget accommodation’ is closed to new replies.