Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bank/maestro responsibility for incorrect transaction.
  • MSP

I went to an atm in an airport in the Philippines and tried to withdraw some money with my maestro card. The transaction was declined, so I used my credit card instead. Now I find the maestro transaction has been debited from my account.

i contacted my bank, explained the situation, and asked for the transaction tone reversed. But all they said was I should contact the beneficiary bank.

i have replied to that saying it is not a sufficient response and asking them to take it further, but are they right, do they have no responsibility to sort it out?

i don’t even know what bank it is or how I would report to them a transaction among thousands that machine must have done that day.

scotroutes

Only the ATM operator will have access to the log of transactions at that machine. There’s nothing much your Bank can do about it.

nealglover
    Free Member

There’s nothing much your Bank can do about it.

Other than talk, one bank to another, about an issue one if it’s customers is having, with the other Bank’s ATM

Obviously this would require some work though……saying “nothing we can do” is a lot easier. 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

Well they should be abating to report it to the atm operator, I am sure there must be rules for doing so, maestro is the most common atm card system in the world, I can’t be the only personn to have suffered a mistake. As an end user I am powerless to do so.

budadav
    Free Member

Your bank are wrong. If you have been wrongly debited for a transaction that did did not issue any cash you are due a refund.  You should dispute the transaction with the card issuer (your bank).  It is their responsibility to manage the dispute (via chargeback) with the ATM acquirer.  You’re more likely to find someone who understands the process by calling the call centre at your bank thank going into a branch

FOS guidance

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/disputed-transactions.htm

see transaction dispute in the MasterCard FAQs

https://www.mastercard.co.uk/content/mccom/en-gb/frequently-asked-questions.html/

If you really want to geek out… I think this would fall under MasterCard dispute / chargeback reason code 4853 (cardholder dispute) which includes ATM disputes.

Drac

It is indeed your bank you speak to not the operator of the bank, get back on and ask again if they still refuse tell them you’ll be contacting the ombudsman.

hot_fiat

^^what Drac said^^  When you’re on the phone to the bank threatening the ombudsman, remind them that every complaint taken to the FCA involves a £550 fee, payable by the bank, irrespective of whether the complaint is upheld. Works wonders for motivating financial institutions.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/technical_notes/QG1.pdf

MSP

Kept on at the bank, and made them do a chargeback, and I now have my money back.

theotherjonv

was it a lot of money? If it was a small sum (to them) they probably refunded just out of goodwill and to avoid a scene.

What will you spend it on now?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bank/maestro responsibility for incorrect transaction.’ is closed to new replies.