Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Bank holiday weekend traffic thread.
  • ajantom

Who else is braving the roads today or tomorrow?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/may/26/busy-roads-and-airports-expected-over-late-may-uk-bank-holiday-weekend

We have no choice but to brave the A303 this evening ☹️ not going too far, but I’m hoping as we’re going East most people will be going West.

Safe travels 😁

jam-bo

Isn’t that just a stock article they change the dates on every bank holiday?

fasthaggis

A Friday night trip on the 303,what could possibly go wrong 😆 🤣 😂
    I predict …
    1 car fire.
    3 cars overheating
    10 campervans badly parked near Stonehenge trying to get photos
    14 tractors
    100 Amazon/DPD sprinter vans trying to overtake on blind bends.

Drac

Nope. I don’t go anywhere on a bank holiday unless absolutely necessary.

matt_outandabout

The A9 was busy last night – both a queue at Kier at 5pm and a dose more traffic noise on our garden last night until later. I guess a good few extend the weekend even more.

weeksy

Only to FoD and back for riding, but it’s a long way from being a busy route apart from the odd section.

DougD

Heading back up from Norwich to Edinburgh. Have downloaded the Lord of the Rings audiobooks narrated by Andy Serkis so actually quite looking forward to it

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

lakes pmba, 8am tomorrow west yorks to southern lakes, home sunday, so hoping everyone stays till monday and roads are clear

fossy

Already at out caravan in North Wales, came Wednesday night.

Did a hilly 37 road miles yesterday. Lovely quiet roads, which probably were more suitable for my CX bike but 25c was just about OK.

scotroutes

Meh. As long as our riding club gets into the cafe on Saturday lunchtime it’ll be fine.

I do have a supermarket shop to do this afternoon though. That’ll likely be a bit more stressful with all the tourists arriving.

johncoventry

Coventry to Crawley Saturday morning for sons football tournament. Then home again in the afternoon.

Then the same again on Sunday morning / afternoon.

Was going to stay the night but hotels are very expensive.

Hopefully roads will be quiet going as it will be early morning.

davosaurusrex

Leaving Worthing at 2pm, heading to the Chunnel. Ugg.

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Do it weekly back up North today, driven into office not sure what time I will leave but should be before 4pm.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The A5 will have a few more caravans/super cars on than usual, I doubt I will see much other difference. If anything bank holidays appear to be quieter round here as everyone heads up Snowdon.

Ah yes await the Snowdon parking in the newspapers

scotroutes

Just heard that the A9 is closed in both directions near Tomatin. That’ll be a massive detour on roads that are partly singletrack and the last time that happened they then had closures too.

But hey, it’s not like it’s the Central Belt and worth investing in a bit of decent infrastructure. (Yes, that’s frustration creeping in).

johnners
    Free Member

We have no choice but to brave the A303 this evening ☹️ not going too far, but I’m hoping as we’re going East most people will be going West

All those holiday lets and campsites weren’t all empty last week you know…

Tbh you should be fine as long as you’re avoiding where the dual goes single carriageway.

alanl
    Free Member

lakes pmba, 8am tomorrow west yorks to southern lakes, home sunday, so hoping everyone stays till monday and roads are clear

You’ll be fine. We’re doing Leics. to Southern Scotland again. M1,M18,A1,A66,M6. Never had any noteworthy traffic problems over the last year (15+ times). Breakfast at Wetherby at 8.15 – 8.30, then clear all the way North. Sunday after 4pm gets a little busy on the A1 south, but nothing to worry about, and this weekend, it’ll be quieter on the Sunday due to the BH.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Already at out caravan in North Wales, came Wednesday night.

Sensible chap!

I came to our place in N Wales a week ago and decided not to go back!

Saved me £60 in fuel! 😛

ajantom

All those holiday lets and campsites weren’t all empty last week you know…

Unfortunately when you’re both teachers that’s no use ☹️

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Light traffic this morning innmy bit of Surrey. I upped my average speed into work by 1mph on the single speed purely down to hitting a couple of major interchanges with no traffic.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m going to Shropshire tomorrow with the caravan. Muhahaha.

I’m taking an MTB too cos we are staying in the middle of a forest jammed with trails and singletrack.

johnners
    Free Member

Unfortunately when you’re both teachers that’s no use

My sympathies but I was trying to rein in your optimism a bit about eastbound traffic being any lighter.

Now I feel slightly guilty – thanks for your service, it’s a dirty job but someone’s got to do it!

kentishman
    Free Member

If you are heading to dover Operation Brock started on the M20 last week. It will probable be mad trafic there, so take some extra food and water.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Dorset to M6 Burton services tonight. Yay! Leaving at 17:00 as well.

dovebiker

Thanks to Calmac, we have fewer ferries running so making one of the busiest weeks of the year somewhat less busy, particularly limiting the number of tour buses and vital footfall in local shops – takings are 20-30% down for most. We do however have 2 cruise ships full of rich pensioners who spend comparatively f-all.
    We also have Superyacht Piparked here, owned by Mr Starbucks and not even giving away free coffee 🤣

lamp
    Free Member

Surrey to Suffolk this afternoon along the bottom of the M25……should be nice and quiet. 👍

kimbers

Milton Keynes to liverpool, leaving straight after kids have finished school, have a cocktail party on a T45 destroyer!, staying at the in-laws, hopefully get a cheeky blast round llandegla early on Sunday

snotrag

1 car fire.
    3 cars overheating
    10 campervans badly parked near Stonehenge trying to get photos
    14 tractors
    100 Amazon/DPD sprinter vans trying to overtake on blind bends.

Why do all the air cooled campers congregate at the seaside?

Because its at the bottom, and none of the them can get back up the hill to get out.

matt_outandabout

Thanks to Calmac, we have fewer ferries running so making one of the busiest weeks of the year somewhat less busy

I note that Calmac yesterday suggested that the Ardrossan – Campbeltown ferry may not run all summer.

I also note that the main Highand council ferry at Corran is still waiting parts, and the second smaller ferry is due to start running again in mid-June.

I also see that the Pentaland Ferries cat return is delayed at least one more week, everyone diverted to Northlink and a lack of capacity now causing some issues.

(There is a running theme here)

Del

Meh. Used to do the 303 to the south east every other Friday night for 2 or 3 years. Looking at the traffic I was glad I wasn’t going west but rarely had any difficulties myself.

We’re heading up the M5 for Cardiff at ~5:30 tonight…

gordimhor

@matt_outandabout A decades long running theme- lack of investment. I’ll be going south on the A82 today and coming back north on Sunday, hoping there’s no road closures.

stingmered

Just arrived in Carnac, Brittany and traffic was fine all the way from Northern England. 22deg and cracking the flags here.

Drac

I note that Calmac yesterday suggested that the Ardrossan – Campbeltown ferry may not run all summer.

It’s terrible. We cancelled our Arran visit this week in part because of that. Still made Glen Scotia malt festival though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m going to Shropshire tomorrow with the caravan. Muhahaha.

See my comment re the A5 !

forest jammed with trails and singletrack

Not sure I know where that is in Shropshire? Not at least ones that take carvans too ?!?

matt_outandabout

We cancelled our Arran visit this week in part because of that.

As in you were returning via Campbeltown?

vmgscot

Down visiting the folks in Hampshire this week so back up to Scotland tomorrow. Unsure whether to go A34/M40/M42/M6 or jump across via Swindon and M5 up. Doubt it makes any difference, stuff-ups can happen anywhere.

scotroutes

9 hours later and the A9 is still closed north of Tomatin

fooman

In the past even on a sunny bank holiday Monday we’ve made it to the coast for 9-10am with very little traffic, leave at 2pm wave at the hoards queuing to get to where we’ve just been. I’m not naturally a morning person but if you get out early you miss the worst of it.

jp-t853

We cancelled our Arran visit this week in part because of that.

As in you were returning via Campbeltown?

I know you are being sarcistic but it does have a bearing on making future plans. We usually go to Orkney but we are giving it a miss this year. We will still have a great time in the Highlands but we will give the islands a miss. Actually I am looking forward to taking the bike on the main holiday this year for a change. We can just do with limiting an area of risk when we have other great options. I say that as someone who spends 4-5 weeks of the year in the highlands and Islands and has done for over twenty years

matt_outandabout

We usually go to Orkney but we are giving it a miss this year.

Excellent, fewer people to avoid when I am there. 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.