Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 207 total)
  • Rogue adverts
  • gnusmas

I been getting these for the past few days too, really irritating and annoying. Don’t even want an iphone 😡

sofaking
    Free Member

I keep getting this one appear ://aifohionly.com/677523509416/59145b0be885b706d0733fad76483dff/05d20a8977b4aa1706a612a2a77d54dc.html

removed the http so no one clicks it

stumpy01

Not sure it’s worth mentioning, to be honest but had another one of these re-directs this morning….

Cougar

Reported. Screenshots would be helpful.

stumpy01

Cougar – Moderator

Reported. Screenshots would be helpful.

Sorry. Didn’t get any…..just wanted to get the thing closed, but will try to remember to in future….

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of redirects in the last few days, mobile (chrome on android). Bullshit virus cleaning, you’ve won an iPhone, that kind of thing. Don’t know how to screenshot sorry, so not got details.

Same here but been going on for weeks. Also get a download that keeps starting without any warning and downloads a racing post apk file to my phone 😕

Pyro

Just emailed a report over to the Tech address. Apparently I’m lucky…

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Chosen! Twice in a row trying to log in. How lucky I am.

This seemed to be all the stuff associated with a vibrating ‘You are chosen’ redirect.

On an Android.

onehundredthidiot

Hooray chosen again. But I’ll put the post here don’t want to inconvenience anyone by indicating how a page that redirects might not be good for new visitors.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Forum unusable on my phone this morning – every other click resulted in redirect to the usual vibratey ‘you are the chosen’ bollocks.

scrumfled
    Free Member

Given the constant rogue adverts, would it make sense to create a single thread and sticky it, so that people only report in one place?

onehundredthidiot

Chosen again same as the above ads.

Is anything happening. Even a “we’ll have a look”.

scotroutes

onehundredthidiot – Member
    Chosen again same as the above ads.

Is anything happening. Even a “we’ll have a look”.Mark has a post just a few above yours.

johndoh
    Free Member

Funnily I haven’t had any problems with pop-ups since I first started this thread – using Chrome on MacBook and iPhone

Cougar

Given the constant rogue adverts, would it make sense to create a single thread and sticky it, so that people only report in one place?

I’m loathe to do that simply because it’s not really an ideal first impression for new visitors. I could probably make this thread title more intuitive though, I’ll change that now.

scotroutes

Cougar – Moderator

I’m loathe to do that simply because it’s not really an ideal first impression for new visitors.[/quote]Are you trolling Mark? 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

You shouldn’t have changed the thread title – it was surely getting you lots of search traffic 😉

tjagain

I got the “chosen” advert on saturday afternoon complete with multiple pop ups and setting the phone vibrating

spooky_b329

I’m still getting these redirects as well…I can’t remember the last time I suffered these rogue ads on a site other than STW. (Actually I can, it was my own forum hosted by invisionfree, and after a few moans they credited a load of ad-removal and fixed it shortly afterwards)

What confuses me, is Mark stated a while back that the rogue adds use the lowest cost ad service which ‘fill in’ any slots no one else wants. And that once you’ve been served all the decent/premium ads in a 24hr period, you’ll get all the cheapo’s (and a higher risk of redirects). However, I’m not browsing the forum that much, so it seems strange I’m seeing those lower paying ads so quickly each day.

dragon
    Free Member

Still getting it here also. Less often than last week but still getting it and it’s f**king annoying and shouldn’t be happening at all on a legit site.

Jamie
    Free Member

I imagine the rogue adverts force quite a few people to go full P.

Which makes you wonder where the incentive to tackle them is.

Cougar

it seems strange I’m seeing those lower paying ads so quickly each day.

AIUI, either you’re a more frequent visitor, or you’re blocking cookies. Or Mark’s wrong, or there’s something else amiss.

I imagine the rogue adverts force quite a few people to go full P.

Which makes you wonder where the incentive to tackle them is.

Oh come on Jamie, you’re better than that.

1) it’s more likely to dissuade people from using the forum than to have them upgrade.

2) it’s more likely to drive people to block ads.

3) I’ve seen the process needed to track these down and it’s a needle in a haystack job. Mark had shut entire ad networks down at significant (“we might need to lay someone off”) costs in order to stop them.

Whatever the reason this happens occasionally, it’s certainly not intentional.

tjagain

However the only other sites I get similar from are pirate video streaming sites. Why so many on here that are so dodgy?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Whatever the reason this happens occasionally, it’s certainly not intentional.

Either way, it only happens on this site. Nowhere else.

So, it may not be intentional, but it clearly is STW’s issue to resolve. Stopping using shonky/dodgy ad networks would help, shirley? Crowdynews, one of the regular “waiting for” ones, hardly sounds like a solid business does it? (Haven’t looked them up, as I don’t want to click on anything to do with
    them.)

Now, we could just say, “everyone get a P and it will all go away”, but that removes choice. While there is a choice, those of us who choose to see the ads just be allowed to choose to see safe ads, not dodgy diverts and downloads.

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh come on Jamie, you’re better than that.

I’m really not 😀

CountZero

Still not got a ‘P’, still not getting any of these issues at all, either in my iPhone or my new iPad Pro 10.5″, still running Safari with DuckDuckGo as primary search engine.
    Perhaps if people changed to Bing or DuckDuckGo as primary search instead of Google there might be a difference.
    All I can say is that I get the regular ads in the open page that I’d expect, and nothing at all that could cause embarrassment.

spooky_b329

I used to have a P, and I still used to get the re-directs

Freester

Right then. Here’s a new one. I’ve left my (Firefox) browser open on STW forum walked away for a brew/dump/wazz and come back to this one…

Happened twice recently.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re back…..

Latest in a long line this afternoon is http://android-checker.com/360/en/rr/index.php?brand=Generic&model=Android%202.0&uclick=lprnb4wj#

I’d avoid clicking on the link. Copied it for posterity.

tewit
    Free Member

Oh aye. Going mad at the minute.

Cougar

Reported, ta.

thorpie
    Free Member

Getting chucked off Singletrack loads tonight, on IOS. Not happened before?

grahamh
    Free Member

I thought it was just me, using FireFox, switched to using Chrome and every thing seems stable.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

switched to using Chrome and every thing seems stable.

Patience, Grasshopper.

Getting close to unusable on Chrome here at the moment.

brakes
    Free Member

annoying.
    byeeee.

upshift
    Free Member

I occasionally use the Dolphin browser on Android and regularly get a stream of .swf files trying download. Was up to 30 per page load last week but has calmed down recently.

scuttler

Plenty redirects to security and performance optimisation software malware sites today.

john_l
    Free Member

As I’ve just had my thread on this topic closed (excuse me for not following a 3 month old thread….), I’ll post here – I presume that’s what the mods would prefer?

mildbore

I’m getting plenty of redirects this afternoon to sites my security won’t allow. Last one, 10 mins ago, happened without me touching the screen

km79
    Free Member

If browsing these forums becomes NSFW then the place is surely finished? Productivity might go up though.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 207 total)

The topic ‘Rogue adverts’ is closed to new replies.