Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Bands you wish you’d seen live at the time
  • roger_mellie

I thought there was a thread on this recently, but anyway….  BBC iPlayer have INXS from 1991 at Wembley at the moment and it looks immense. The film print has been restored too.

I didn’t think I regretted missing anyone live, but this could be up there.

Yours?

roger_mellie

Oh, and people who died before you were an adult don’t count.  😉

dannybgoode

Not a band per se but a live set – Leftfield at the Brixton Academy.

Leaving morals out of it – Michael Jackson, just for the shear scale of his shows.

Kuco

Always regreet not seeing Queen live when I had the chance also Sound Garden 🙁

choppersquad
    Free Member

Wish I’d seen Pink Floyd doing The Wall first time round.

submarined
    Free Member

Dance Hall Crashers. Biiig regret.
    At the Drive-In. Before they got a bit shit. Relationship Of Command era.

whitestone
    Free Member

Talking Heads, Psychedelic Furs, Rolling Stones (before the OTT pomposity). Earlier Led Zeppelin – say around the release of Physical Graffiti – I did get to see them at Knebworth.

chakaping
    Free Member

PWEI in their heyday, probably when promoting cure for sanity.

The stone roses circa fools gold.

csb

Blind Melon before Shannon Hoon died.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Talking heads , Marillion ( with Fish )

DezB
    Free Member

PWEI in their heyday, probably when promoting cure for sanity

Surely Box Frenzy! They used to tour non-stop, how did you miss them?!

White Stripes, Nirvana for me. Mainly because I knew of their local gigs and didn’t go. Bit annoying

choppersquad
    Free Member

I can confirm that PWEI were in fact awesome in their heyday.

Poopscoop

Queen.

stevie750

Black flag and circle jerks.

Nirvana for me

I saw nirvana at the qmu in glasgow, unlike other bands I saw I can still remember them so it must have been good

sadexpunk

sex pistols and prodigy for me. just a couple of years too young to see the pistols, even tho they played my home town as the SPOTs.

chakaping
    Free Member

Surely Box Frenzy! They used to tour non-stop, how did you miss them?!

I have no idea, me and my mates loved them and used to play the albums all the time.

We saw most of the other decent bands of the era, must have just been bad luck.

easily
    Free Member

Joy Division played near me when I was about 16. I decided the tickets were too expensive – they were probably about four shillings or something!
    And I wish I’d seen Happy Mondays; bands that lads dance too usually have great gigs.

The one I’m glad I got to see is James Brown, a few years before he died. I can tell you that at that point he was still the hardest working man in show business.

metalheart
    Free Member

Mary Chaplin Carpenter as Gillian Welch was the support (circa Hell among the yearlings) as I thought the £30 ticket price was too high for a (probably) half hour show.

Elvis Costello (support was Richard Hell and the Void-Oids).

I too missed Nirvana. Mates I knew went to see them in Embra (a couple times I think) but I couldn’t be arsed (despite being heavily in to Bleach at the time)…

Also missed:

the Clash
    Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (in the 80’s)
    Big Black
    Throwing Muses/Belly (I never seemed to be in the right place when they played)
    Espers
    Songs: Ohio

ETA: arse. Yeah. Missed the Beasties too… I could’ve been at that famous Glasgow gig…

chakaping
    Free Member

Public enemy 1990ish would have been cool.

Beastie boys sometime early noughties maybe.

Never seen either though.

stevie750

Beastie boys

Saw them in 1992 when they did a double headliner with Rollins band. Rollins band where good but don’t remember much of the beastie boys

CheesybeanZ

Led Zepplin, couple of older mates got tickets in 79 .

anagallis_arvensis

I can confirm that PWEI were in fact awesome in their heyday.

They are still pretty awesome tbf.
    Saw them loads back in the day.

Leftfield I didnt really like live, ear bleedingly loud but too many big gaps between songs ruined the flow.

Would have liked to see Bob Dylan, heard him once but I couldnt stand up so didnt see him!

Saw Belly at Norwich Arts Centre! Awesome

stevie750

Dead Kennedys with jello biafra would have been good to see. Saw them when they reformed with Brandon Cruz on vocals they where ok but definitely missing something

johndrummer
    Free Member

The Clash. Should have gone to see them at Bradford St George’s Hall in the summer of 82, never got round to getting tickets

Siouxsie & The Banshees. Same venue, different year, same reason

Sex Pistols. I was just a bit too young & hadn’t started getting into music at that point

Nirvana. No idea why not, although from what I’ve heard they were awful live

joelowden

Talking heads.. Floyd.. Early Genesis…AC/DC

neilthewheel

J.J. Cale.😟

mattbee

PWEI were indeed great.
    Missed The Cult in ‘95 as I was doing my GCSEs and my mum wouldn’t let me go. 😭

Same with Donnington the year before, damn mocks! Iron Maiden were there and they were another band I wish I’d seen back then. Recorded the whole day from Radio 1 and played it endlessly.

andermt
    Free Member

Dire Straits
    Queen
    Bowie
    Undertones (with Feargal Sharkey)
    REM

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Queen.

mariner
    Free Member

In no particular order Toots and the Maytels, Doors, Jackson Browne, Cream, Cowboy Junkies, CSNY,
    10,000 Maniacs, and John Martyn if a solo act counts.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Daft punk and leftfield, both played and I could have gone if I stumped up the cash.

Also guns n roses, had tickets but they cancelled and I couldnt make the reschedule.

Not seen the bluetones either, they must have played and I just missed it.

Have however seen most others I really wanted to, including amazing gigs by metallica and crowded house, 2 best gigs ever been to (I reckon I am well over 100 gugs to compare)

Nick

Saw INXS in 98 at Wembley Arena, was great 🙂

Would like to have seen some of the big bands like Pink Floyd, Zep etc, but Stereolab with Mary Hansen the most

kayak23

Wished I’d seen Joe Cocker in his heyday.

Oh well, still time though.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Oh well, still time though.

Because life’s a bit shitty at the moment, to spread some cheer I’ll buy you two tickets to his next live gig.
    It’s been a while since I’ve heard about a tour so there must be one soon surely?

MrOvershoot

Only from last year I had a ticket to see Clutch on the 20th Dec at Rock City.

My wife was at Nottingham Trent Uni in the late 80’s and it was going to be a trip for me to remember her & the memory of us going to the Rock City and its super sticky carpets.

I had an MRI scan at 3pm in Chester that went very wrong so I ended up there till 6pm which left me no time to get to Nottingham.

I’m not ashamed to say I went home and had a bloody good cry 🙁

CountZero

Earlier Led Zeppelin – say around the release of Physical Graffiti

At Earle’s Court, perhaps? Still got the tour programme!
    Bands I did miss – Genesis on the Lamb Lies Down… tour, due to a change of venue and ticket mixup, back when you had to either order by post or turn up at the venue.
    Roxy Music – they played the town hall in Chippenham, my then g/f wasn’t interested.
    The Smiths – they played Golddiggers in Chippenham, I wasn’t that into them at that point.
    REM – held off getting tickets to see if friends wanted to go, they sold out by the time we went back! That was the Green tour.
    King Crimson – they played Golddiggers in Chippenham, on the Discipline tour, they weren’t playing any old material, so I didn’t bother.
    Never got to see XTC, Talk Talk or Sandy Denny, sadly.
    Of those mentioned above, I’ve seen Cowboy Junkies several times, including last year, they played Bristol; had a chat with Margo outside the venue and she was delightful.
    10,000 Maniacs, Mary Chaplin Carpenter, solo and with Shawn Colvin, Gillian Welch I’ve seen with David Rawlings, and with Emmylou Harris, and Nanci Griffith turned up as well.
    Talking Heads with Dire Straits supporting, The Clash, Siouxie And The Banshees, Elvis Costello a bunch of times, Throwing Muses, Belly, including a year or so ago, Kristin Hersch, Pink Floyd in Bristol on the Wish You Were Here tour in ‘74, caught the last half hour of Rory Gallagher’s gig at the Colston Hall the same evening, my g/f had a ticket to see him, along with some of her 6th Form mates, and he was still playing when I went along to meet her, so I snuck in and watched from just inside the auditorium, and nobody stopped me! Excellent evening that was!
    Saw the Stones play Ashton Gate, along with a bunch of other bands, The J Geils Band, plus others who I can’t remember or find references for online.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Could’ve gone and regret not doing so:

Rage Against The Machine at Reading in 90’s
    The Prodigy at Aylesbury civic centre 91?
    Black Crowes
    Prince at an English festival that sounded naff to me as it was some hippy eco thing but turned out it got great acts
    Stevie Wonder at Hyde Park 08? – my sister got married the same day; she doesn’t know how close I came to seeing Stevie instead
    10cc
    Supertramp
    Tony Bennet at the Royal Albert Hall.

Carbis

My first gig was Inxs at Plymouth pavilions in 1993, they were good but I have seen better sets since. I missed Suede at Exeter University as I had a Maths A level exam the next day. I finally saw them 25 years later and I think it would have had no impact on my A level result but I reckon it would have changed my entire outlook on university.

Nick

It was 88 not 98 when I saw INXS.

Would have liked to have seen Prince too.

dannybgoode

@CountZero – saw REM numerous times, starting with the Monster tour in 95 supported by Blur.

I think the most memorable though was in 2005 at the Sheffield Arena. Richard Hawley had just done his warm up set and then Michael Stipe came on stage to say Mike Mills had been rushed to hospital and they’d have to cancel. Apparently Mike had been insisting on playing and collapsed backstage.

He was devastated – first gig they’d ever had to cancel and so last minute. Total respect for the guy for coming out in person and apologising instead of leaving it to the stadium announcer. He and Peter Buck played 4 acoustic tracks so the audience didn’t leave with nothing as well.

They rescheduled at the end of the tour and gave all the nurses who had looked after Peter back stage passes. Thoroughly decent chaps the lot of them and always a good gig.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Bands you wish you’d seen live at the time’ is closed to new replies.