Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Bands that you wish more people got
  • muzzle
    Free Member

One of my favourite bands The Delgados split because they got ‘tired of putting so much time and energy into something that never got the recognition it deserved’ (I may be paraphrasing slightly)… so yeah, them.

hels
    Free Member

I have always been amazed that The Walkmen don’t sell millions of records.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Ones no longer with us – Grandaddy and the Beta Band.

Isto: Grandaddy are recording a new album I think

From a British perspective, I’m gutted that Reuben, Hundred Reasons, Hell is for Heroes, Million Dead etc all quit.. only Biffy and Frank Turner managed to make a proper career out of that scene

franki
    Free Member

I would have said Tame Impala on the strength of Innerspeaker, but their new direction doesn’t really do it for me.

fin25
    Free Member

I know it’s not for everyone, but I think Napalm Death deserve a lot more recognition. Their contribution to the development of extreme music is on a par with the influence Sabbath have over heavy metal.
    Their albums are still awesome and they tour all the time, but mostly to 3 guys and a dog in a pub.
    Totally understand though that grindcore is not something most people “get”.

franki
    Free Member

I saw Napalm Death countless times in Brum, back in the day. 🙂

Pigface
    Free Member

Were not Discharge an influence of ND?

franki
    Free Member

Were not Discharge an influence of ND?

I think so, yes.

isto
    Free Member

Grandaddy are recording a new album I think

That makes me happy cheers Joeydeacon.

@Muzzle +1 on The Delgados. They wrote some amazing songs and albums not to mention running the Chemikal Underground and discovering Mogwai and Arab strap….it has amazed me they never got the appreciation they deserved. Think they are still running the label tho.

isto
    Free Member

Grandaddy are recording a new album I think

That makes me happy cheers Joeydeacon.

@Muzzle +1 on The Delgados. They wrote some amazing songs and albums not to mention running the Chemikal Underground and discovering Mogwai and Arab strap….it has amazed me they never got the appreciation they deserved. Think they are still running the label tho.

zippykona

Go back a page click on the wolfhounds and let me know.
    I can’t be the only person that likes them.

dancingfool
    Free Member

Murder by Death. Mosty so that they would come here and tour

oldejeans
    Free Member

Autechre

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Flesh for Lulu.

Edukator
    Free Member

I did listen but the Wolfhounds didn’t inspire. The voice sounded a bit thin (but I could understand what he was singing which is a plus), the guitar tones and jangles did nothing for me, I play guitar and didn’t have the urge to pick one up and join in. If it came on the radio I wouldn’t change channel but I wouldn’t type it into Youtube search.

Each to his/her own.

fin25
    Free Member

True pigface, discharge were indeed a massive influence on napalm death. Doesn’t change the fact that ND have been and continue to be an important part of the extreme music culture.
    So yeah, more people should listen to napalm death, also discharge.

nickc

Took the wolfhounds challenge, and even went to YT to listen to some others, and I’m afraid to say that I didn’t hear anything that any number of indie guitar bands aren’t doing better or more imaginatively, sorry.

athgray
    Free Member

Little Barrie
    Blu Mar Ten
    Asian Dub Foundation
    Dub Mafia
    Lo Fi Allstars.

steveoath
    Free Member

Woodenbox (with a fistful of fivers) – they’ve now removed the last bit. Brilliant live. Always felt Mumford stole their thunder a bit.
    Trace Bundy – virtuoso solo guitarist
    Murder by death – shades of johnny cash. Fantastic storytelling. And fun live.

retrobri
    Free Member

I watched Napalm Death support DRI at hammersmith clarendon in the late 80s, my ears still haven’t recovered! 😀

Anyway, to as answer the topic

sleaford Mods
    radical Dance Faction
    blaggers ITA

DezB
    Free Member

Breton
    Rudi Zygadlo

all the stuff I post on the Tune Assoc thread!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

joeydeacon – Member

From a British perspective, I’m gutted that Reuben, Hundred Reasons, Hell is for Heroes, Million Dead etc all quit.. only Biffy and Frank Turner managed to make a proper career out of that scene

Yeah I was a massive fan of Reuben and Hell is for Heroes. However Jamie Lenman is kicking about with his solo stuff. I don’t like any of his new stuff as much as Reuben though.

Jon and Guy formed Freeze The Atlantic with Andy from Hundred Reasons. Haven’t given their stuff much listening time yet.

My most sadly missed band is Oceansize.. Frames is one of my all time favourite albums, 100% genius from start to finish.

TheSanityAssassin

The Chameleons

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Yeah I’ve seen Freeze The Atlantic a couple of times, think Jon has left now.. also saw Jamie’s band a year or so back, in both cases they’re no Reuben! I go to 2000 Trees festival, a couple of years back they got Hundred Reasons to reform which was amazing.. they’ve also got a mini stage called Camp Reuben, where I think Jamie has played a solo Reuben set, no chance of them reforming though sadly..

Same with Million Dead, although did see Mongol Horde last year, who were incredible..

I’ve never really got into Oceansize, admittedly haven’t listened to much, but will give them a go now..

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I go to ArcTanGent, Lenman played last year, including a few old Reuben songs.

Going to get joint tickets with 2000 Trees if they do them again for 2016 I think

colournoise

Bob Mould. Gets critical acclaim I know, but never seems to get the mass public affection his writing and playing deserve.

From the past, Mega City Four, Buffalo Tom, Slowdive, Swervedriver.

Also Dizraeli and Scroobius Pip doing wonderful things now floating between hip-hop and spoken word.

egb81
    Free Member

I go to ArcTanGent

Me to, cracking festival. On that front, it makes me sad that so few people understand the genius of Mike Vennart and his assorted projects and bands over the last ten years. I was very impressed by Marriages this year to and can imagine them finding a bigger audience.

WillH

zippykona – Member
    Go back a page click on the wolfhounds and let me know.
    I can’t be the only person that likes them.

Sorry, listened to it and found it pretty tedious. It’s just not catchy. Bland. Certainly not enough to make me look them up on youtube as per nickc.

WillH

toppers3933 – Member
    Old Crow Medicine Show. I wouldn’t usually class myself as a fan of country music but them in particular I really like.

Good call. Consider their fan-base marginally larger from now on 🙂

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’ll throw another one in. Jason and the Scorchers.

Viewing 30 posts - 41 through 70 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you wish more people got’ is closed to new replies.