Bands that you wish more people got

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Bands that you wish more people got
  • Boba Fatt

on the back of the other thread, lets have a positive “Band you love and wish more people enjoyed your joy” thread

Not the ones I like otherwise they might get too popular! Joking aside, I’ve been to a few amazing Neon Trees gigs that were fairly intimate, in terms of numbers, and can’t quite understand how they’re not that we’ll known in the UK to the average joe.

sbob

I’ve successfully introduced a lot of people to Dub FX.

fasthaggis

Frightened Rabbit (but maybe that’s a Scottish thing)

Wild Beasts (but maybe that’s the Billy MacKenzie thing)

CountZero

Plenty of bands/artists I wish were better known, for their sake as artists; the corollary of that is as benmoto says, the more popular they get, the bigger the venue, the higher the ticket price.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Parquet Courts.

Zappa
    Gong
    Hawkwind

New Model Army

+1 for dub fx

ali69er

– Magma.

Blew my head apart when I first heard the original recording of ‘MDK’ about 15 years ago. Speaking as a music-lover – they opened my ears wider than anything before or since. Speaking as a musician – they continue to leave me open-mouthed and heart-bursting. The Theusz Hamtaahk trilogy performed live at the Trianon is by far my most prized recording of the last 40 years. From my cold dead hands etc.

– British Sea Power.

Come ON! Legendary, whimsical, sketchy, epic, committed and quite brilliant. Had they only made ‘Sea Of Brass’, I would still love them forever. As it is they have recorded tons of ace stuff and I want all and everyone to love them the same as me!

iolo

Baby metal. I’ve seen them three times live. Amazing.

Edukator

You don’t really want these bands to be more popular, do you. If they were your tastes wouldn’t be so niche and you’d feel less special. 8)

Not a band but a style for me: country.

Agree with you on that. Glad Elliott Smiths music isn’t so well known, it kind of needs to feel private and intimate.

There’s a band called Blossoms I saw at a local warm up gig in a pub a year or two back that are now on Radio 6 and XFM and have just been signed by Virgin (ironically on the same day I upgraded them on a Virgin Train) and now I get a bit possesive and jealous when people talk about them! Pathetic, I know.

vickypea

The Temperance Movement – seen them live 4 times in the past couple of years and waiting for their 2nd album to come out

lemonysam

Of Montreal – They’ve drifted around over the years from psychadelic folky stuff into disco influenced stuff, into power pop, ridiculous electronic stuff, psychadelic chamberpop and back to postpunk-ish stuff. It’s not all perfect but they’ve made a lot of fantastic tunes over the years and Barnes is a hugely inventive songwriter.

parkesie

Towers of london

stumpy01

The Wildhearts….

Agree with you on that. Glad Elliott Smiths music isn’t so well known, it kind of needs to feel private and intimate.

That sounds a little weird! Music is music? Unless a band begins to write pap because of its increasing popularity (it has happened so many times) then what’s not to like re more people enjoying their music? It’s music, not a secret affair? If the music moves you then why not someone else? Which reminds me (different but on a similar vein?) I always got somewhat creeped-out by those cliquey fan-clubs that often spring up around bands, it all seems rather too much in the realms of the ego and ‘identifying’, rather than simply the music?

isto

Ones no longer with us – Grandaddy and the Beta Band.

Still on the scene – Mount Kimbie and White Denim.

Think Elliott Smith would struggle to start writing pap mate.

Leftover Crack

cokie

The Cat Empire

lemonysam

That sounds a little weird! Music is music?

There’s huge pleasure in feeling that an artist is voicing thoughts which are close to your own and it can feel very intimate even when it isn’t, it’s hardly surprising that some of that drains away as they get more popular

Edukator

Mixology

I sometimes don’t get it myself but wish more people would as my son (singer/guitare/bass) would cost me less.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

The Wolfhounds. I’ve raved about them for over 25 years and never met anyone else who likes them.
    Why this song isn’t all over 6 music I don’t know.
    Please have a listen and hopefully like it!
    [video]http://youtu.be/EHIjWBeviT4[/video]

Klunk
    Premier Icon neil the wheel
    Subscriber

Pink Floyd
    The Beatles
    U2

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

There’s a band called Blossoms I saw at a local warm up gig in a pub a year or two back that are now on Radio 6 and XFM and have just been signed by Virgin (ironically on the same day I upgraded them on a Virgin Train) and now I get a bit possesive and jealous when people talk about them! Pathetic, I know.

me too – I’m biased because the guitarists dad plays keys in a band I’m in 🙂

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Has anyone taken the Wolfhounds challenge yet?

Premier Icon sadexpunk
    Subscriber

good call on british sea power. i also had a soft spot for ikara colt.

my 2 favourite bands never quite made it bigger than i feel they should, six by seven, and ….and you will know us by the trail of dead. seen them numerous times, and as alluded to above, didnt really want them to get big cos i prefer the smaller venues, but still hoped for their sake they would.

You from Stockport edhornby? Always wanted to know if they’re named after the pub?

Kurt Vile is brilliant.

There’s huge pleasure in feeling that an artist is voicing thoughts which are close to your own and it can feel very intimate even when it isn’t, it’s hardly surprising that some of that drains away as they get more popular

My experience of this (during a delayed teenage-angst phase extending too far into my 20s) was ***reallllly*** liking The The early on. I wasn’t possessive about it though, no, I’d carp on at any random passerby and all my friends about ‘have you heard The The?’ ‘You’ve got to listen to him, the man is a genius’ etc.

The one song that crushed me was ‘Another Boy Drowning’ on the Burning Blue Soul album. It sounded like giant crashing waves of hopelessness obliterating a naive soul before rushing between the stilts of a lonely, fragile, echoing, empty pier and bringing it (with all its once-happy optimism) down like so many floating, burned matchsticks. Yes it did. Then The The became fairly popular. He became a touring band. I went to see them at a large indoor arena type-venue. And would you believe it, they played ‘Another Boy Drowning’! Except now it had a catchy (almost jaunty) beat, and now there was Johny Marr gurning it up doing all these little hand-dances. wtaf? And so the despair, the discord, the fragility and the beauty of the original music was gone. Prostituted and beaten into another shape to fit a new generation. I’m glad in a way that my best memory of that song is in my own bedsit and that old record player. But it wasn’t the ‘sharing ‘ of the experience that peeved me, it was the butchery of the song – I really don’t fully understand that stropping and huffing and claiming to have had ‘the original’ torn T-Shirt stuff.

Coyote

I was always amazed that Garbage were never bigger. Amazing band with a gorgeous singer.

Old Crow Medicine Show. I wouldn’t usually class myself as a fan of country music but them in particular I really like.

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

Wolfgang Press

Agree with British Sea Power, the The, Kurt Vile and White Denim. I’ve got a soft spot for James Grant/Love and Money. Great songwriter/performer.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

centralscrutinizer – Member
    Zappa

No surprise there then. 😉

Richard Thompson.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Bands that you wish more people got’ is closed to new replies.