Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)
  • Bands that were 'of their time' and then disappeared
  • chrissyboy
    Free Member

Well, according to WIKI they’re history:

Shed 7 – The band officially broke up in 2003, but reformed for a greatest hits tour in July 2007.[2] The band have continued to play shows around the UK periodically but have not released a new studio album.

markshires
    Free Member

Pretty much the same goes for Scissor Sisters. They may have sold a lot of albums worldwide but I’d be extremely surprised if anyone outside of the hardcore fan base could even name the 3rd & 4th albums without google, never mind a song that isn’t one of the first three singles released.
    That may be stretching the premise a little but I do think all my original choices are very much associated with short periods of time.

I’m pretty sure that this goes for most of the bands listed here, i bet the majority are still going in one form or another.

A couple more
    Embrace
    Stiltskin

binners

Catatonia

They supported Pulp at their big Finsbury Park gigs. They were bloody awful! Mercifully short-lived though. I don’t mind Cerys as a DJ. Just don’t sing. Or attempt to write songs.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Embrace

Embrace are notable for having managed to drift bizarrely into vogue not once but twice.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Forgot about Elastica. And pretty much any band who’s name started with ‘The’ in the early 00’s.

And Spin Doctors may have toured but what % of people would know that? Certainly not enough to net them another top 3 album.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Shed 7 – The band officially broke up in 2003, but reformed for a greatest hits tour in July 2007.

I was there! 🙂

Colin-T

Goldie Looking Chain.

Their debut is also a contender for the complete Album thread.

DezB
    Free Member

How about the Au Pairs – one of my favourite albums (“Playing With a Different Sex”) then.. poof!

‘Headache for Michelle’ off the album was recently covered rather beautifully by Terranova:
    [video]http://youtu.be/cMN4_KSatWw[/video]

bombjack
    Free Member

Goldie Looking Chain.

Your mothers got a Pen15 still makes me laugh.

binners

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgfvlsSkqFo&list=RDGgfvlsSkqFo[/video]

😆

lemonysam
    Free Member

Well given some of the nominations I’m going for Gomez. They beat Mezzanine, Urban Hymns and this is Hardcore to the Mercury Prize and then went south rapidly*. Badly Drawn Boy can be assessed similarly.

*Though lots of us bought Liquid Skin – it really wasn’t much good.

hatter

I have those 2 GLC tracks lurking amongst the other 10 gig of music on a USB drive in my van stereo.

Their appearance reliably leads to either a wry grin and an improving of my mood or a frantic scramble for the ‘skip’ button depending on whether or not my wife and young children are in the van with me.

Northwind

Terrorvision! Born Oblivion, died Tequila. Brilliant though.

Andrew WK is a god among lesser men. I saw him on The Wolf tour… He came on, said “So I have a new album out… But you don’t want to hear any of that!” and played all of I Get Wet instead. We saw him running around the Leeds festival with a dude in a spiderman costume on his shoulders, for hours

h1jjy
    Free Member

So many 90’s bands didn’t make it out of the 90’s.
    Which is a shame as I don’t think music as got any better since then.

A number of bands broke up and have since reformed or have toured since
    or where never the same after the 2nd (big) album.

aP
    Free Member

And pretty much any band who’s name started with ‘The’

The The??

DezB
    Free Member

Well given some of the nominations I’m going for Gomez.

Just checked their discogs entry – 8 albums up to 2011!! 😆 Imagine what the ones after Liquid Skin were like.

Last track on Bring It On… The Comeback.. Noo!

kcal

The The??

applause!

Pale Fountains anyone?

squirrelking
    Free Member

*ahem*

And pretty much any band who’s name started with ‘The’ in the early 00’s.

Do try to pay attention 007.

And I’ll agree with Gomez for obscurity but Liquid Skin was a good album.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was tempted to some shameless self-promotion but decided that that would just be arrogant and tasteless.

Not like me at all. 😉 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

How many albums did The Sound produce?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Baa Kid K, PMJ?

😆

Goat rap will never be the same again.

Anyone mentioned the poppies yet?

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76wSk1j02_4&spfreload=10[/video]

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

anyway, back on topic, may I present:

Sisters of Mercy are still going aren’t they (well, he)?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

DezB – Member
    How many albums did The Sound produce?

Seven. One of them a double live.

All available as two boxed sets…

Catalogue

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

The Ting Tings

ChrisL

Basically it is pretty safe to assume that many bands hit it big briefly but then often continue on for ages afterwards in relative obscurity.

Of those mentioned above Garbage have released 5 albums over the years, the last one 3 years ago and while Skunk Anansie did split up after Post Orgasmic Chill, they’ve since reformed and released two studio albums and a live album. I believe that James are also still on the go (Wikipedia says that they split up in 2001 but reformed in 2007).

maccruiskeen

World Of Twist

OMG, totally forgot about them.

Anyone mentioned Baby Bird yet?

Its interesting and a bit sad that some bands can seem to be flash in the pan when they’ve actually had quite long careers. I think its a case of being defined by non-fans by your break-through album and / or the novelty singalong track that got you on Top of the Pops (Tequila, I get knocked down etc etc) that belies that you were getting on fine thanks before and after the covershot for Smash Hits.

Now that the money in music has moved back to gigs rather than record sales a band doesn’t have to have new music to have work to do. Live-gigs used to be a loss-leader, you would lose money touring but you did it in order to promote new albums to make money through sales. So you could only have a live career if you kept coming up with new stuff that would sell. Now that sales don’t matter and people are prepared to pay a fair wack for a ticket you don’t need new material to gig anymore and for a lot of the bands mentioned above that means they can go back on the road again

But you almost have to promise not to have new material to be able to gig. The Bluertones for instance were early exponents of the ‘one-album-tour’ – a commitment to only play the old tracks everyone remembers you for and not to embarrass everyone with your recent forays into world music and free jazz or anything else that would ruin the nostalgia

Northwind

James played the SECC or the Hydro last year so I don’t think their appeal’s become much more selective. But I suppose it’s whether a band’s a going concern, or a nostalgia trip. You can still be going but be invisible to everyone but your fans.

And on that note, the best! kick arse! rock and roll band in the world! Carter! The Unstoppable! Sex! Machiiiiiiiiiine! Still gigging in 2014 but as soon as you went into the Academy it was obviously the mid 90s. And not a single song written since 1997.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I saw James at the IoW Festival in 2007. They were nearly as good as The Stranglers(!)

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Fischerspooner

although I think “Emerge” is a fantastic track

Edukator
    Free Member

How about the ex-band members on here posting some Youtubes of your best tracks.

Oasis are still popular with youngsters in France. My son does Wonderwall in his stage set and it’s one of the most popular of the covers along with Sweet Home and Viva La vida. I tried recording Whatever with his Epiphone jumbo but it’s hard to play so here’s my busker’s version of Whatever with the wrong guitar recorded in the garden a few minutes ago with the neighbours irrigation pump as percussion. Just back from skiing if you hadn’t guessed.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZvhWNRA3vk&feature=youtu.be[/video]

edhornby

Terrorvision – I was taken to see them in Warrington Parr Hall by a then-girfriend, I have never been so unmoved by a band. I stood and waited for them to finish and went home, it was odd. they couldn’t sing or play and the songs were rubbish, lots of lights and PA well loud but no energy on stage…. there was clearly an engineer on their records earning his cash to make them sound good (probably a load of session musicians tidying up after them)

Ocean Colour Scene – I was in a band who were offered a slot to support them, Damon (bassist) came to see us at a gig beforehand and came to chat with us, he was a grade 1 tossbag who told us he loved the demo even though the advice 🙄 he gave us didn’t make any sense (he hadn’t listened to it). I predicted to the other members that he would slag us off after the gig and not give us the support slot, I was proved right.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Fischerspooner

That’s a perfect example, almost making it into my list of bands that had gone out of vogue before releasing an album, but you’re right, Emerge is an awesome tune. Some of their remixes are spectacular too.

I reckon The Rapture are probably contenders too, no matter how much I love Echoes.

Alex

Ash?
    Supergrass?
    (refusing to google, in my mind they had one decent album each). I was thinking the verve but I think they went on for blooming ages!

Northwind

Don’t think Ash make the cut- they had a good 10 years of chart success etc, 4 succesful albums and one a bit less but something ridiculous like 18 top 20 singles.

Alex

I probably should have googled 😉
    Actually having just checked spotify, that’s quite a back catalogue.
    Flock of seagulls then. I had one of their albums. I accept I may have been the only one.

Daniel
    Free Member

Neds Atomic Dustbin

lemonysam
    Free Member

Don’t think Ash make the cut- they had a good 10 years of chart success etc, 4 succesful albums and one a bit less but something ridiculous like 18 top 20 singles.

I always think of Ash as more or less the definitive journeyman pop band. I can’t think of many people who rate them as a favourite but they were consistent, tight and made a good sound – if you liked 1977 you’ll probably like Free All Angels and you’ll probably like whatever their next album is (yes, they’re still around).

nickc

Well given some of the nominations I’m going for Gomez. They beat Mezzanine, Urban Hymns and this is Hardcore to the Mercury Prize

Wasn’t the Mercury prize pretty much the kiss of death of your career for a while, Gomez, Ronny Size, Talvin Singh, Badley Drawn Boy…

Northwind

I reckon you could find a bunch of people who’d call Ash one hit wonders but they’d all choose a different hit. Berm Baby Berm, nah nah man, Kung Fu, don’t be daft it was Shining Light, no it was…

maccruiskeen

A big reason there will be a lot of one-good-album bands is you have your whole life’s worth of anger and ideas to help write your first album, 8 months to write your second one, and those have done well, then only the life of a pop star as a frame of reference to write your third. Art and ambition are ruined by comfort.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 192 total)

The topic ‘Bands that were 'of their time' and then disappeared’ is closed to new replies.