Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Bands that ended with a great album
  • funkmasterp

The opposite of the other thread. Which now defunct bands ended with what you think is their best album?

For me it would have to be Screaming Trees with Dust. Not only their best album, but one of the best of the 90’s in my opinion and massively under appreciated.

senorj

That Petrol Emotion-Chemicrazy

ahead of it’s time imo.

btw sweet oblivion is one of my all time faves ever!!

olly2097
    Free Member

Sex pistols. Nevermind the bollocks

Nirvana. in utero.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was going to say Led Zep, but Coda was a bit limp.

nickc

Abbey Road.  Not the last to be released fo’shure, but the last recording where all 4 played together.

donks
    Free Member

Not a band but Jonny Cash American

skaifan
    Free Member

mclusky – the difference you and me is that i’m not on fire

Cletus

If we can agree that The Doors proper has to include Jim Morrisson then L.A. Woman fits the bill.

Cletus

Closer by Joy Division

CountZero

Would t argue with Screaming Trees and Dust; great band, great album.

I would add Talk Talk and Laughing Stock. Amazing band, I never tire of listening to them, and their refusal to compromise on their music and how it would be written and recorded, in the face of record industry interference shows in their albums, which went from heavy 80’s pop production to a minimalist, sparse style that was as much empty space as sound. There are many other bands still going who could learn from Talk Talk…

slowoldman

Well now, Abbey Road. With such trashy numbers as Octopus’s Garden and Maxwell’s Silver Hammer it should be in the bin shouldn’t it? But it all works, especially the B side which is sublime. Mind you, I’m a geriatric who shouldn’t be allowed to vote on these matters.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Wot Cletus says, utterly astounding thing

….

DezB
    Free Member

What about Fireproof?

Pavement – Terror Twilight. (though I am a sucker for everything they did)

Fugazi – The Argument

Bowie – Black Star (though not a band a such)

apparently Post Pop Depression will be Iggy’s last album Decent enough to bow out on.

oh, and Circlesquare – Songs About Dancing & Drugs. But he only did 2 albums then became a painter. The sillyarse.

colournoise

What about Fireproof?

Good point, although Fireproof isn’t a patch on Chemicrazy. Of course, they’re still pretty much going as The Everlasting Yeah (without Steve’s astonishing vocals though). Anima Rising is not quite TPE but it’s pretty good in it’s own right.

Royston
    Free Member

The La’s

a truely splendid recording

senorj

sorry dez , I forgot about fireproof. But you can’t beat a bit of TPE. 🙂

funkmasterp

apparently Post Pop Depression will be Iggy’s last album Decent enough to bow out on.

Paraguay is a great track. Especially the tirade at the end. Really good album all round too. Will have to give That Petrol Emotion a listen, not heard them before.

martinhutch

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions – Mainstream

Electric Ladyland

Strangeways Here We come?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

OLD – ‘Formula’ (1995)

Also the most radically different sounding last album.  Unrecognisable from their earlier output – ie from metal/grindcore to some genre-defying futuristic ambient glitchy techno pop/rock wtfery.  Whatever it is, it’s a big favourite for swooping night rides 🌃🚴🏻.  (Realises am becoming obsessively organised/pernickety re playlists for differing rides)

https://youtu.be/LbVI2o1a1rcx

DezB
    Free Member

Will have to give That Petrol Emotion a listen, not heard them before.

I’ve still got the albums, but no desire to revisit. Can imagine they’d sound awfully dated now. The Undertones would be a better listen 🙂

The Music – Strength in Numbers – left me disappointed they’d called it a day anyway.

Can think of loads whose first and last great album was the same thing, but not many who bowed out on a good one.

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I would say Death from above 1979 but they left on a great album then reformed and released a mediocre album.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not a band but Jonny Cash American

Being honest im not sure I’d agree with American Recordings VI but a couple of others in the series probably would do it…

DezB
    Free Member

Last release by Johnny Cash was Out Among the Stars

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I did not know that…

edhornby

I know they are marmite but, Synchronicity by the Police is very good if you like that sort of thing.

ransos
    Free Member

Last release by Johnny Cash was Out Among the Stars

Not while he was alive though!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I know they are marmite but, Synchronicity by the Police is very good if you like that sort of thing.

I do! And that’s a great call 👍

ransos
    Free Member

Jeff Buckley – Grace. Also his first album…

DezB
    Free Member

Not while he was alive though!

Neither was VI, as mentioned, or V, IV or III for that matter. And the thread’s about last album. 😛

leegee

Kyuss – And the circus left town

ransos
    Free Member

Neither was VI, as mentioned, or V, IV or III for that matter. And the thread’s about <em class=”bbcode-em”>last album.

Nah, he was still alive when IV was released. My point was that some terrible cashing in occurs after an artist’s death so it’s perhaps better to disregard stuff they didn’t release themselves.

DezB
    Free Member

cashing in

Arf!

edhornby

bikebouy have you ever seen film of the synchronicty tour live ?? there’s this great bit where they are playing King of Pain and Stewart Copeland is playing the marimba at the start then at the end of the percussion section he drops the marimba mallets, runs to the drum kit, grabs sticks and without missing the cue he plays the drum fill onto the first bar, with not a nanosecond to spare… quite impressive

ooh found it

CountZero

That Petrol Emotion

I’d forgotten them, saw them once, many moons ago, supporting Thin Lizzy, if memory serves. Which it doesn’t, always.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

R.E.M.   Collapse into Now.

funkmasterp

Kyuss – And the circus left town

Good shout. I was going to mention it. One of my favourite album covers too.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Thanks ed, I’ve never seen that 👍👍👍👌

mikedabear
    Free Member

Crass

Christ

MarkiMark
    Free Member

That REM shout is total nonsense. Life’s Rich Pageant by a mile.

Pavement – Terror Twilight?

edlong
    Free Member

No love for Lou Reed (with Metallica) – Lulu, then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Bands that ended with a great album’ is closed to new replies.