Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bands that changed direction that got you listening.
  • athgray
    Free Member

I struggled to think of a bad band that made a surprisingly good album. My reasoning that if I didn’t like them I probably never got into them.

On the other hand are there bands that took a leftfield change of direction that got you into them?

I did not like Radioheads first 3 albums but then they made Kid A. That was a revelation. I was listening to Orbital and The Prodigy at the time. Kid A really pricked my ears towards Radiohead.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Bands that changed direction that turned me off ..
    Genesis
    Kings of Leon ..to name but two..

Back to the OP’s thread..

Never been into Country music ..but Sturgill Simpson ( a country artist) has just released a rock album “Sound & Fury ” ..which I’ve been listening to a lot..

spanishfly
    Free Member

Turn off directions
    The Clash-Sandinista
    New Order – post factory records
    Red Lorry Yellow Lorry – Nothing Wrong
    Pitch shifter – post Industrial
    Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds – post Tupelo, I bought every L.P. but it never had the same excitement as those and the the Birthday Party
    Rammstein – Rosenrot

Turn on directions
    Ministry – The Land of Rape and Honey (until Filth Pig then turned off)
    The Prodigy – post The Fat of the Land
    The Beastie Boys – post their early punk days
    Rowland S Howard – Pop Crimes

anagallis_arvensis

Pop Will Eat Itself started as a shit punk act then switched to Intergalactic Punk Rock Hip Hop and were awesome!

Edukator
    Free Member

Daftpunk: Random Access Memories onwards. They always had a good groove but adding natural voice and some guitar broadened their appeal.

Fleetwod mac. The original band was generic blues rock, the addition of the American pair produced some pop classics.

Die Arzte: from generic punk to all sorts of styles with a punk attitude.

slowoldman

Bands that changed direction that turned me off ..
    Genesis

Agreed. A bit meh post Peter Gabriel.

Fleetwod mac. The original band was generic blues rock, the addition of the American pair produced some pop classics.

Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac were far far better than the later pop group. Oh alright Rumours is pretty good, but…

CountZero

Agreed. A bit meh post Peter Gabriel.

More so after Steve Hackett left, then it became Phil Collins and a couple of other blokes as his backing band – Hackett’s guitar added that distinctive sound that identified Genesis.

olly2097
    Free Member

Slipknot – we are not your kind.

Far better than I expected. In fact it’s really good.

Last time I listened to slipknot was 1999 and it was all shouty. This one has shouty corey Taylor but also singing corey Taylor.

Check out “unsainted” and “my pain”

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Depeche Mode springs to mind, started as a truly teenie pop act (not certain they ever managed to fully lose that label), then went left field all experimental industrial and then carried on being a bit more grown up

hatter

Wind Rose: First two albums were basically Euro Metal by numbers, then they hit upon their whole Dwarven Metal schtick, gave their sound a whole load more earthy oomph (technical term) and it was off to the races.

They’re great fun live too if you like your silly metal… which I unabashedly do.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Opeth got good, to me, when they ditched the growling and sang properly.

stevious

Taylor Swift when she went less country.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Talk Talk – Spirit of Eden is the obvious one for me. Signs were there on Colour of Spring (Chameleon Day should really have been the final track on that album). They’d made some fantastic pop music beforehand, proving capable musicians. Then Spirit of Eden came out, an album with absolutely NO pop pretentions whatsoever, just some of the most beautiful music you’ll ever hear. They refused to tour it; I think they knew it couldn’t be recreated live and most of the audience wouldn’t “get” it. Record company basically sacked them off after that, one more incredible album and they split – I believe fed up with the legal wranglings of the record company.

itlab
    Free Member

Last time I listened to slipknot was 1999 and it was all shouty.

Go back and check out vol 3, the change in their sound was started by Rick Rubin on that album (although subsequently most of them have slated him for that album).

codybrennan
    Free Member

‘Edukator
    Daftpunk: Random Access Memories onwards. They always had a good groove but adding natural voice and some guitar broadened their appeal.’

AFAIK, Edukator, DP haven’t released anything since RAM. I wish they would!

sc-xc

Daftpunk: Random Access Memories onwards. They always had a good groove but adding natural voice and some guitar broadened their appeal

Agreed. Homework was genre defining, influential and cutting edge.

RAM was dogshit pop music.

h4muf
    Free Member

Artic monkeys.

Sandwich

Johnny Cash and the American series of recordings.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bands that changed direction that got you listening.’ is closed to new replies.